Am Sat, 19 Jul 2014 18:53:03 -0600
schrieb Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>:

> On Jul 19, 2014, at 2:58 PM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:10:51 +0200
> > schrieb Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de>:
> >
> > [...]
> >> Another random idea:  the number of errors decreased the second time I ran
> >> balance (from 4 to 2), I could run another full balance and see if it keeps
> >> decreasing.
> >
> > Well, this time there were still 2 ENOSPC errors.  But I can show the df
> > output
> > after such an ENOSPC error, to illustrate what I meant with the sudden surge
> > in total usage:
> >
> > # btrfs filesystem df /run/media/marcec/MARCEC_BACKUP
> > Data, single: total=236.00GiB, used=229.04GiB
> > System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=36.00KiB
> > Metadata, DUP: total=4.00GiB, used=3.20GiB
> > unknown, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00
> >
> > And then after running a balance and (almost) immediately cancelling:
> >
> > # btrfs filesystem df /run/media/marcec/MARCEC_BACKUP
> > Data, single: total=230.00GiB, used=229.04GiB
> > System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=36.00KiB
> > Metadata, DUP: total=4.00GiB, used=3.20GiB
> > unknown, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00
>
> I think it's a bit weird. Two options: a. Keep using the file system, with
> judicious backups, if a dev wants more info they'll reply to the thread; b.
> Migrate the data to a new file system, first capture the file system with
> btrfs-image in case a dev wants more info and you've since blown away the
> filesystem, and then move it to a new btrfs fs. I'd use send/receive for this
> to preserve subvolumes and snapshots.

OK, I'll keep that in mind.  I'll keep running the file system for now, just in
case it's a run-time error (i.e., a bug in the balance code, and not a problem
with the file system itself).  If it gets trashed on its own, or I move to a new
file system, I'll be sure to follow the steps you outlined.

> Chris Murphy

Thanks
--
Marc Joliet