On 2015-08-04 13:36, John Ettedgui wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Austin S Hemmelgarn
On 2015-08-04 00:58, John Ettedgui wrote:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Qu Wenruo <quwen...@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:

Although the best practice is staying away from such converted fs, either
using pure, newly created btrfs, or convert back to ext* before any
balance.

Unfortunately I don't have enough hard drive space to do a clean
btrfs, so my only way to use btrfs for that partition was a
conversion.

If you could get your hands on a decent sized flash drive (32G or more), you
could do an incremental conversion offline.  The steps would look something
like this:

1. Boot the system into a LiveCD or something similar that doesn't need to
run from your regular root partition (SystemRescueCD would be my personal
recommendation, although if you go that way, make sure to boot the
alternative kernel, as it's a lot newer then the standard ones).
2. Plug in the flash drive, format it as BTRFS.
3. Mount both your old partition and the flash drive somewhere.
4. Start copying files from the old partition to the flash drive.
5. When you hit ENOSPC on the flash drive, unmount the old partition, shrink
it down to the minimum size possible, and create a new partition in the free
space produced by doing so.
6. Add the new partition to the BTRFS filesystem on the flash drive.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 until you have copied everything.
8. Wipe the old partition, and add it to the BTRFS filesystem.
9. Run a full balance on the new BTRFS filesystem.
10. Delete the partition from step 5 that is closest to the old partition
(via btrfs device delete), then resize the old partition to fill the space
that the deleted partition took up.
11. Repeat steps 9-10 until the only remaining partitions in the new BTRFS
filesystem are the old one and the flash drive.
12. Delete the flash drive from the BTRFS filesystem.

This takes some time and coordination, but it does work reliably as long as
you are careful (I've done it before on multiple systems).

I suppose I could do that even without the flash as I have some free
space anyway, but moving Tbs of data with Gbs of free space will take
days, plus the repartitioning. It'd probably be easier to start with a
1Tb drive or something.
Is this currently my best bet as conversion is not as good as I thought?

I believe my other 2 partitions also come from conversion, though I
may have rebuilt them later from scratch.

Thank you!
John

Yeah, you're probably better off getting a TB disk and starting with that. In theory it is possible to automate the process, but I would advise against that if at all possible, it's a lot easier to recover from an error if you're doing it manually.