[please follow up in linux-cert-programs, apologizes for the cross-post]

[+AH4- should be tilde, this *!%$@#@ MS mailer is broken...]

>  I like this one!  My comments:
>
>please scrutinize the Networking objectives in the first exams?  Or Alan,
>did you already get the complete text of the objectives and searched them?

Not yet.

>You list the names of the 7 OSI layers, but don't even mention OSI ("Open
>Systems Interconnection" according to the glossary in the Network Admin.
>Guide).  I wonder if we need to require this knowledge for Level I, it is
>not in the objectices as far as I can tell.  In any case it would help if
>you specify the number of the level with the name.

Yes, does the list think that the OSI layers are important or just the four
distinct (?) layers of TCP/IP?  I started to list the OSI layers as useful
jargon because it seems that terms like "transport layer" are fairly
important but then I started wondering if the complete model was really that
useful.

>! This brings up another issue: we should discriminate which concepts and
>acronyms we are using at what level.  For higher levels we will be using
>names that need not be known at the lower.  I propose to add a new section
>for each level we make, so the current draft should be headed by "Level
>I".

This is a good point. However, I vote no about "higher levels" because (1)
who will decide what is level 1 and what is level 2, etc.?  (2) the jargon
shouldn't be a big difference between levels (wisdom, integration, better
familiarity with details, etc.)

But as I recall, L3 exams are specializations and it would make sense that
there will be all kinds of new jargon and acronyms that shoudl have
different (expanded) lists.  It would be most natural to label the lists by
content.  This could be the system administration list.  There could be a
security list, a networking list, etc.  One for each L3 exam.

>These acronyms I think should be deprecated, because they are just
>convenient abbreviations of general concepts, and not a name of a
>specific entity.  For the former, you do need to know what it is an
>abbreviation of.  For the latter, you don't.  Let's discuss it here:
>
>API
>LAN
>MDA
>MTA
>MUA
>NAT?
>TFTP?

If you (we) wish....  I did specifically seek out "general concepts, and not
a name of []specific enti[es]" because most of the specific entities are
actual command names.  That is, we can expect sys admins to know 'ifconfig'
means interface configuration and other terms which are actual peices of
software.  OK, maybe they don't always know the full/correct expansion but
they better have a good idea...

I think the language of the exams (and thus the preferred terms of this
list) should reflect the natural language of administrators.  For example,
terms used in HOWTO's should be used also on the exam.  BUt with erring on
the side of avoiding jargon/acronyms (as in our concensus point).  Is that
different from your interpretation of the point?

>At SMB: in the description, mention this is a M$ protocol, and may be
>replaced by CIFS (anybody knows about current status?).  Also Netbeui
>is usually spelled NetBEUI .  Finally, the description is misleading
>since in my understanding the hierarchy of protocols is:
>
> ----------------------------
> |             SMB          |
> ----------------------------
> |   NetBIOS (API)   | IPX/ |
> --------------------| SPX  |
> | TCP/IP | NetBEUI  |      |
> ----------------------------
> |    bit-level protocols   |
>
>  Therefore, in MS-Windows you can select either NetBEUI or TCP/IP as
>protocol, but you need to select the latter if you are going to use Samba.

Yes.....  point well taken.  I expect I have numerous such errors.  If I
have gotten something wrong, it would be most helpful if you would supply a
proper definition/description of a sentence or two.  Because if I got it
wrong the first time, I think chances are excellent that I will screw it up
again.

-Alan