On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Forrest Tiffany wrote:

> "A.R. (Tom) Peters" wrote:
> > ! This brings up another issue: we should discriminate which concepts and
> > acronyms we are using at what level.  For higher levels we will be using
> > names that need not be known at the lower.  I propose to add a new section
> > for each level we make, so the current draft should be headed by "Level
> > I".
>
> I'm not sure this is a good idea.  If a test is created based on the
> requirements that have been established for the test, then only those
> concepts which were listed would be included.  Any concepts which were
> not listed in the exam criteria would automatically not be included.
> However, if a specific term is needed, then the correct term should be
> used.  I am of the opinion that a term should be used by people of all
> levels if it is the correct term, and by noone if it is not the correct
> term.  I don't feel the correctness of the term is dependent upon the
> skill level of the speaker.

  What I mean is, that for the yet-to-be-developed higher level exams, we
will be introducing advanced concepts.  For instance, err, PHP.  So we add
PHP to our list.  Now every every newbie thinks: boy I have to learn PHP
too!  To avoid that, we put it in a separate section marked "Level III".
Of course the Level I section remains the same and the candidates for
L.III exams still need to know it.

>  If a concept or acronym isn't supposed
> to be known by people of a certain skill level, then we should simply
> leave that item off of the exam requirements.  However, we shouldn't
> limit item writers from using the term.

  Of course we should limit them!  If they use it, it is in the exams
which means that we require the candidates to know about it.  In which
case it should be in our list or objectives.

--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]