I'll comment on the "lack of support" issue because it's one I had to answer
here as well.  I just finished a proof of concept for running Linux as an
embedded OS on our custom board.  These are Elan Sc400's with 32M RAM and 8M
of flash.  I've worked with vxWorks, WinCE, and others in the past, and I
have to say that the amount of support I got from this mailing list alone
was better than I've ever experienced from a commercial entity.  And that's
not to mention the rest of the Linux world when it comes to general Linux
support.  If you look back though some of the old mail, you'll see what I
mean.  Also, of course, nothing beats having the code!  The proof of concept
went very well and I think it's safe to say that Linux will be my default
choice going ahead for high-end embedded work.

One other thing that I see as a huge win with Linux is that you can do most
of your development on a standard Linux workstation, and it will **just
work** on your embedded target.  In other words a Pentium III 600Mhz machine
running RedHat 6.0 is a very good emulation of a 486 running a RedHat
6.0-based kernel.

Andy Waddell
Manager, Embedded Platforms Group
Turnstone Systems, Inc.