I'm aware that Linux has been used as the OS for a number of different
embedded commercial products, but I'm interested in hearing from folks
who've done it and have any advice on the risks and benefits.

One concern I have is the constant evolution the OS.  This is great, but
it also represents a moving target for an embedded platform.  As the OS
evolves, bug-fixes and new functionality are added.  Is there a way to
patch a specific release to fix defects, but not add new functionality?

Commercial RTOS vendors commonly state that the lack of technical
support makes Linux unusable as a commercial platform.  I don't quite
see this, since Linux appears to be discussed more than almost any other
operating system.  Has anyone suffered due to a lack of technical
support?

What about FreeBSD vs Linux wrt licensing issues?  I've heard, but
haven't yet confirmed, that licensing is much more relaxed with FreeBSD
than with Linux.

It's clear from recent press that Linux is making an impact in embedded
development.  Wind River recently relaxed its per-project seat licensing
and others have reduced their per-incorporation runtime royalties.  Many
believe this is due to the embedded Linux development trend.

Thanks in advance!

Tim.

--
M. Tim Jones - Core Platform Lead