On 06-Feb-99 Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>       Well interesting. Kernel 2.2.0 was put up Jan 26, 1999 and the
> patch for kernel 2.2.1 was put up Jan 29, 1999. Does this indicate that
> perhaps there *MIGHT* have been a tiny problem with 2.2.0?

I believe one of the main reason for the release of 2.2.1 was a bug that if you
tried to execute a core file the system crashed.  This should only matter if
you have users on your system that are trying to mess it up.

>       I want all of you who assailed my comments about the kernel that
> only one person indicated that 2.2.0 worked good, with just a FEW changes.
> I don't believe this. I think he had 2.2.1 but was not aware of it. All you
> others were already using 2.2.1...:-)

I installed 2.2.1 on my machine the other day and haven't had any problems with
it.  However, first I grabbed the errata patches off of redhat's ftp site
(these are security fixes).  Then I checked the changes file
(/usr/src/linux.2.2/Documentation/Changes) and upgraded several things that
were at an older rev (there were RPM's for all of them on
ftp://developer.redhat.com).  Then I waited a day to make sure everything still
seemed stable.  After that I built and installed 2.2.1 and it worked fine.

However, because I'm in an RF hole and can't hit any local nodes, I haven't been
using any of the AX25 stuff.  With a little bit of work it did find my PCI sound
card which was one of the reasons I upgraded.

Also, there has been a discussion on the linux-kernel mailing list mentioning
that the kernel now automatically adds a route when you bring up an interface.
I don't know what that may mean if your trying to run tcp/ip over ax.25.

Just my experience.  YMMV  :)