Linux-Hardware Digest #831, Volume #10           Fri, 23 Jul 99 13:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  mpeg decoder card (Frank Haverkamp)
  Re: 1 or 2 HD's ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: "The LinuxStore" - are they good ?? (Rod Roark)
  Re: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration (Grant Taylor)
  Re: Best Inkjet Printer to Buy (Grant Taylor)
  Re: Can ESS688 sound card work in linux ? (Mark Douthwaite)
  Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card ("Andrew J. Norman")
  corrupt filenames on zipdrive (Olof Karlberg)
  Re: Soundblaster Live (Value) / S/PDIF ("dkmallick")
  Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card (Rod Roark)
  speedy serial mouse in X (John Harman)
  Re: SuSe +  Hardrive partitioning (Michael Borgwardt)
  Re: Simultaneous network/IDE traffic = reboot (Jamie Guinan)
  Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice. ("Tony Platt")
  d-link dfe-530tx (j)
  Re: ISDN (Greg Aeschliman)
  Re: Soundblaster Live (Value) / S/PDIF (Thorsten Ohl)
  Re: Linux NT Conflict (WChan21438)
  game card support (root)
  IDE ATAPI Sony Superstation tape  (Frank Webster)

From: Frank Haverkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: mpeg decoder card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:34:15 -0400

Hi,

I want to use an mpeg decoder pci card with Linux. The target would
be mpeg datastreaming over a network and displaying it on the box
with such a card. But DVD is also a nice application for such kind of
card.

Has anyone informations about such cards running under Linux and the
appropriate drivers, or is it still impossible to get technical data
from the vendors.
One card is for example the NetStream2 from REALmagic in which I am
interessted in.
A friend of mine already tried to make a contact with REALmagic, but he
was not successfull at this very moment.

If you know some forums for such kind of topic, like DVD for Linux,
please let me know.
Does anyone knows more about the politics of such card vendors
concerning
example code or technical data?

If you know anything about that topic, please mail me:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Frank Haverkamp

--
 Frank Haverkamp
 NEC USA, Inc., CCRL          Phone: +1 (609) 951-2911

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1 or 2 HD's
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:14:00 -0500

Prasanth Kumar wrote in message ...

|You might put the Linux swap partition on the Windows drive and the rest of
|Linux on the other drive. This will give a bit of performance improvement
in
|swapping and makes it easier to experiment with Linux.

   And ditto for windows. :-)  Just be sure to have the drives on different
channels for best performance.  For example, make both drives the master of
there channel, and the CD-Rom the slave.

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "The LinuxStore" - are they good ??
Date: 23 Jul 1999 13:52:12 GMT

USA_Guy _ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In recent months I've jumped from an iMac to an eMachine with Win98, and
>now I'm thinking of buying the "Axion" model with dual OS installed from
>the Linux Store.
>http://www.thelinuxstore.com/
>--
>Any thoughts on the reputation of "The LinuxStore" or the quality of
>their machines would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be concerned about all the no-name components; also the Aladdin
chipset is not a good choice for UDMA support under Linux.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Beginner need help for Samsung printer configuration
Date: 23 Jul 1999 11:01:27 -0400

"GuangJun Wu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> I use the RedHat 6.0 with the kernel 2.2.5.15, my printer is Samsung
>>> QwikLaser 85G. The printer is dedected at /dev/lp0, I have tried some HP

> The seller of Future Shop told me that the printer was not
> "winprinter" and should work under linux, but perhaps he didn't know
> what he said.  I found the installation
> manual(http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Eist85g_gplus.p
> df) and the user's manual
> (http://samsungelectronics.com/support/downloads/files/Emul85g_plus.pdf),
> I holp it'll be useful.

Hmm.  I poked about in the manual, and it really does sound like a
paperweight, but I'm still not entirely certain; they went out of
their way to word things vaguely.

For example, in the "Windows Printing System" section, it has the
setting:

 PCL Memory: provides the means of selecting the amount of RAM the PC
             should use for PCL emulation.

This just doesn't sound hopeful.  Then again, the specs part of the
manual says "WPS and PCL 4.0" are both standard emulations.  I don't
know if I beleive them, though...

If it doesn't go when you configure it as an ljet4, then I think it's
really a paperweight.  I've added it as such to my listings; if it
turns out to work, let me know.

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Inkjet Printer to Buy
Date: 23 Jul 1999 11:04:29 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff McWilliams) writes:

> In article <7n8qal$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sage Mage wrote:
>> HP 697 and 712 should be alright.  I have an associate who uses
>> them on his mandrake machine.  I am not sure where to get the
>> drivers, but they are both parallel port and have excellent ink
>> economy for inkjet printers.

> I would stay away from the 7xx series of HP printers.  They aren't fully
> functional under Linux. THey do not support PCL 3 like the 600 series
> or the 800 series.

Indeed.  For a list of all known working printers, see
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

From: Mark Douthwaite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can ESS688 sound card work in linux ?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:48:41 +0100

Tony wrote:

> hi, there:
>
> i have a ESS688 sound card, i can't config it works in linux(RedHat5.1). Can
> anyone help me or suggest me a website about it?
> thanks a lot.

I use an ESS1688 and it works fine.  I used sndconfig to set it up.
I don't know if ESS688 is a typo error or not.  Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew J. Norman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommend: cheap 100baseT card
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:55:26 GMT

I will have to second this advice.  The FA310TX cards do work quite well
and netgear (Bay Networks) is begining to support linux as a mainstream
OS.

Other cards (which are virtually identical to the netgear ones) are the
Linksys cards (also DEC tulip based and ship with a patched version of the
D. Becker's standard driver) and the SOHOware series of card by NDC (don't
ship with the patched drivers, but do have the available via their web/ftp
sites)

In general all the cards will run you between $15-35 dollars at your local
CompUSA or other major retail chains....so incase your local chain doesn't
carry a netgear card or they are out of the latest SOHOware multipacks,
you should have no problem purchasing one of the other brands.

Just a word of warning---if you plan to go mail order be careful.  There
are a number of $10-15 cards being sold out there based on the RealTek
chipset.  These will work....but they aren't the absolute greatest cards
(ie. they really are low end)  Also consider using the local retail
outlets for this purchase.  The reason is that most of them have a weekly
rebate special on one of their card brands (so you can save ussually $10
on the card) and most of them are now packaged with a cable (a nice
color coded molded assembly)

My pride small triumph in this area was getting a Linksys card (with
pretty blue cable) for $20 (on sale down from $30) with a $10 rebate....

        Andrew J. Norman
Dept. of Physics                        Phone: 757-221-3571
College of William & Mary               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
 what is essential is invisible to the eye" -The Little Prince

------------------------------

From: Olof Karlberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: corrupt filenames on zipdrive
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:22:51 GMT

Hi,

I've installed a parallell port Zipdrive on my SuSE 6.1 Linux box. The
driver is found at startup and it works fine to mount it. The problem is
that the filenames on the disks (formatted under win95) get corrupted
when I mount them (tried both msdos and vfat).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Someone's got a solution?

Thanks,
Olof

From: "dkmallick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live (Value) / S/PDIF
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:25:10 -0500

I have a sound blaster live card (not value) and is working fine with my
Linux.
I have kernel 2.2.5, but what I hear Creative has recently released the beta
3 of the driver that works on kernel 2.2.5-15 and 2.2.10 as well.

I can't tell you anything about SPDIF though, because I haven't tried it
yet.

Also I would like to get my surround speakers working (its not active right
now in my Linux system). Has anybody got all channels working with SBLive in
Linux? Any news on getting environmantal sound (surround sound) in Linux?

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jul 1999 16:17:49 GMT

A couple of things I feel obliged to comment on here...

Andrew J. Norman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Other cards (which are virtually identical to the netgear ones) are the
>Linksys cards (also DEC tulip based and ship with a patched version of the
>D. Becker's standard driver) and the SOHOware series of card by NDC (don't
>ship with the patched drivers, but do have the available via their web/ftp
>sites)

I don't think the DEC chip is even being made any more, and the Netgear
and Linksys cards are being made with some clone chip... they seem to work
fine though, as long as you have the right driver version.

>...  Also consider using the local retail
>outlets for this purchase.  The reason is that most of them have a weekly
>rebate special on one of their card brands (so you can save ussually $10
>on the card) ...

Don't fall for the rebate trick.  The reason rebates are so freely
offered is most people don't send in for them; it really is a hassle,
and you might get stiffed anyway.  I recently send in for $70 worth
of Linksys rebates and after some weeks got a postcard in the mail
saying it was rejected for lack of a receipt (totally untrue!), with
no contact information whatsoever for disputing it.  Oh and they gave
me 3 days to send in the "original receipt" that I'd already sent and
so do not have any more.

From: John Harman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: speedy serial mouse in X
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:31:12 GMT

I have this slight problem...my mouse decided that it wants to jump all
over the screen...I've tried to change the settings on the install process
but it doesn't seem to help.  I'm using redhat 6.0 with kde Xwindows on a
pentium 75.  If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly
appriciated.
johnh

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Borgwardt)
Subject: Re: SuSe +  Hardrive partitioning
Date: 23 Jul 1999 15:20:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        David Reiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Hello group,
>>
>> I have a 8GB hardrive  ready to install SuSe 6.1. I not sure how
>> many or how large partitions should be. The SuSe installation guide
>> does not recommend partition/size. I have cooked up a rough sketch
>> as a guide.
>>
>> If anyone has done this before I will greatly appreciate your input(add
>> partition, delete partition, change size, etc.)Here is what I  have done
>>
>> partition    size     mount point     inode       partition type
>>
>> hda1        120M      /               2048          linux native
>> hda2         10M      /boot           1024          linux native
>> hda3       4000M      /usr/local      40960         linux native
>> hda5        520M      /usr/src        8192          linux native
>> hda6        500M      /var            8192          linux native
>> hda7       2600M      /home           4096          linux native
>> hda8        100M      /tmp            2048          linux native
>> hda9         10M      /                             MSDos
>> hda10       140M      /swap                         swap
>>
>> Will this suffice?

IMO excessive partitioning is pointless if you have only one
disk anyway. Two problems I can see right away are:

- 100M for /tmp will not be enough in some cases (e.g. running
  htdig)

- some *huge* applications are installed in /opt

--
Michael "Brazil" Borgwardt --- Member of #WASHU# and Her would-be guinea-pig.
        Untiring defender of Washu-chan, Asuka-chan and Elektra-chan.

------------------------------

From: Jamie Guinan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simultaneous network/IDE traffic = reboot
Date: 23 Jul 1999 15:31:13 GMT

Oops, I spoke too soon.  After the downgrade to RH 5.2, the
same problems started again a few hours later.
So we just did a new install (RH 6.0) on a new hard drive and
we'll see what happens.

I neglected to mention the hardware in enough detail last
time, so for future news archive archaeologists, here's
some dmesg output for you to sift through...

Linux version 2.2.5-15 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Apr 19 23:00:46
EDT 1999
Detected 451027283 Hz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 450.56 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127972k/131008k available (996k kernel code, 412k reserved, 1568k
data, 60k init)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
Pentium-III serial number disabled.
CPU: Intel 00/07 stepping 02
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.26 (19981001) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0720
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x0b (Driver version 1.9)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC AC310200R, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC AC418000D, ATA DISK drive
hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: WDC AC310200R, 9787MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1247/255/63
hdb: WDC AC418000D, 17206MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=2193/255/63
hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: using high-speed MMX checksum routine
   pII_mmx   :  1098.423 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  1061.085 MB/sec
   8regs     :   776.859 MB/sec
   32regs    :   558.546 MB/sec
using fastest function: pII_mmx (1098.423 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
 hdb: hdb1
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
Adding Swap: 136548k swap-space (priority -1)
3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xb000,  00:50:04:87:00:dd, IRQ 11
  8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 7849.
  MII transceiver found at address 0, status 7849.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
nfsd_init: initialized fhcache, entries=256

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: About to build Linux RAID box.  Need advice.
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:42:35 +1000

Or look on ebay for a cheap, compq raid case.

They are well designed, with hot swap facilities. and they have plenty o
fans as standard

mine are the F/wide type take 7 drives and the case has a fan in the PSU a
fan in the rear a fan draging air across the drives, and space for another
fan in the rear.

Nice lockable front door, and they can be upgraded to duel bus setups and
more.

all for around $100 US

Nicely built too, ie they are about 65Lbs in weight <grin>

Tony

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:28:46 -0700
From: j <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: d-link dfe-530tx

D-Link  dfe-530TX. Do these cards work well under linux?  i am
installing one in my winbox at work and plan eventually to take the
computer home, where i will install linux and be.

Any help is appreciated.

j.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Aeschliman)
Subject: Re: ISDN
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:23:13 GMT

Thanks for posting the location of this documentation.  I've been beating my
head against the wall here about ISDN config probs.

Greg Aeschliman
Osaka, Japan

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Ohl <ohl@*RemoveTheStars*hep.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: 23 Jul 1999 17:55:50 +0200

Stefan Lewandowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is the S/PDIF supported yet?

I have not yet found anyone who could answer this question.  But I
have heard the BSLive's S/PDIF connection criticized:

   http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/summary/index.htm

> If this isn't possible, who can recommend some soundcards that
> work with Linux and which have S/PDIF preferable with an
> optical dig. line in?

I've heard good things about the Hoontech SoundTrack 128 Ruby
(http://www.hoontech.com/product/soundcard/ST128DDMARuby.htm, the
german distributor is http://www.ridi.com/de, a Kernel module is
available from http://www.anime.net/~sam9407/) and ordered one today.
--
Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TU Darmstadt -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://heplix.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de/~ohl/ [<=== PGP public key here]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (WChan21438)
Subject: Re: Linux NT Conflict
Date: 23 Jul 1999 15:37:56 GMT

Try reconfiguring the harddisk using a configuration software such as fdisk on
dos.
You can also use fdisk during installation of the Linux OS.
If you can't see the harddisk at all, check your harddisk's pin configurations.

Wayne

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: game card support
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:57:22 -0400

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the Thrustmaster ACM game card, but I'm
wondering if it is supported under Linux.  I'm running RH6, kernel
2.2.5, on a PII-400 Dell.  Can anyone tell me if they have successfully
used this card with Linux?

Thanks, Bill

------------------------------

From: Frank Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE ATAPI Sony Superstation tape
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:01:09 -0400

With more money than sense, I bought a IDE ATAPI Sony Superstation tape
only later to find that is is not supported.  indeed, there's even a
comment
to this effect in ide-tape source from kernel 2.2 distribution.
Is anybody working on this problem?
Does anybody want to buy this drive ;-) ?
--

Frank Webster

Webster Info Sys Eng Associates
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  410-961-3998