From: Joceli Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: question aboot windows partition
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:59:48 -0700

Brian Devlin wrote:

> Is there a way to see the long filesnames on my windows partition.
>
> Thanks
> Patrick Devlin

mount your dos/win partition using "vfat" as "mount -t vfat /dev/****
/mnt/win"
This should work ....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ACAD for Linux ...
Date: Sat,10 Jul 1999 19:21:33+2000

   Look at this web page to learn more about ACAD for Linux !!!

           http://209.218.86.64/linux.html

   If you know someone who can be interested in that please tell him

or her about this web page.

   Thank you for your time.

------------------------------

From: "Randy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: HELP!!!  Anyone???  Someone???  Please???
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:15:35 -0400

    Okay...  I can't take this anymore...  I cannot seem to get anything to
work with the resolution in Xwindows...  I have a Diamond SpeedStar A50 8MB
AGP video card, it has a SiS6326 AGP Controller...  I have an Impression 50
Plus 15in. (13.8in. viewable)...  Horizontal Sync rates are 30-55 KHz...
Vertical Sync rates are 50-120....  the Max resolution is 1024 dotsX768 line
(at 60Hz)... I'd love to be able to have 800x600 res. with at least 256
color...  Supposedly, the A50 uses the SVGA driver, but the only driver that
I can get to work to the point where I don't have any display problems is
VGA16...  with 16 color and a resolution of 640x480...  put I have to scroll
around on the screen to see everything...
    If ANYONE out there knows how to help me in any way, please let me
know...  my email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                Thanks,

                                                        Randy

------------------------------

From: Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Memory not found past 64MB (AMD K6-3, AGP Video, M598 Super Socket 7)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:49:50 GMT

Just got a new computer, and having some issues.  The specs are:
        AMD K6-3 @ 450Mhz
        128MB PC100 RAM (I have another 64M stick I put in at one time too.)
        M598 Super Socket 7 Motherboard, with builtin SiS AGP 5595 Video. (8M of RAM)
        Winbond w89c840 ethernet card

        I first installed RH 6.0, which comes with the 2.2.5-15 kernel.
        I also tried the latest 2.2.10 kernel.

The problem is that, while the BIOS seems to detect the memory just fine,
top never shows more than 64M being available.  This remains the same,
whether or not I have just the 128MB RAM stick in, or both the 128 and the 64M
stick in.

I tried forcing the kernel to use 192 (with both sticks in) using a lilo.conf
that looks like this:

[greear@grok greear]$ more /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=orig
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10
        label=dev
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="mem=192M"
        read-only
[greear@grok greear]$

When I tried booting the 'dev' kernel with these options, I got a kernel dump
that completely froze the system (had to power cycle).  If that printout would
be useful to anyone, I can copy it by hand and mail it to you...

I know the video is not supported by X yet, so I've been just using the text console,
or exporting the display back to another machine.  However, I'm wondering if the
kernel is confused about which part of the RAM that the AGP card is taking?

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jenni G)
Subject: Anyone know about Linux support of Castlewood's ORB?  (EIDE I/F)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:52:48 GMT

------------------------------

From: Brian Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:08:31 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:30:05 -0500, Hobbyistİ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:02:44 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrawled these
> >sagacious words ...
> [deletia]
> >What started all this was one writer saying that he gets a lot of windows
> >helpers from magazines and popular media websites.
>
>         Notice the complete lack of any actual detail. This is just
>         a bald assertion and generalization on it's own.
>

> >You proceeded to say:
> >
> >       "What is a magazine but an overpriced Web Page committed to paper
> >       with far too many banner ads? Most of the popular computer press
> >       is a joke, especially Ziff Davis."
> >
> >I guess that first sentence in the quote is referring to linux journal as
> >well right? :)
>
>         Is english your second language? You missed MOST. Mind you,
>         my most favorite computer mag for quite some time has been
>         a German one: c't.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         The assertion that the content in popular computing publications
>         is actually useful was simply never supported.

It's kind of difficult to defend without accurately defining "useful",
because useful can mean numerous things depending on the knowledge level of
the reader, but if by useful we can refer to useful for novices, there are
any number of publications that fit the bill:  PCComputing comes to mind.
Winmag, while it was around, did a competent job of dealing with novice
issues for Windows.  And then of course, there are the truly basic help
magazines, like PCNovice and HomePC.  On the more advanced front, PC Magazine
has an excellent Tech section, as well as frequently running how-to columns
on how to fix various Windows issues.  Both PCComputing and PC Magazine have
also explored registry hacks.  The one area in which the magazines are
generally weak is in troubleshooting hardware issues, which they don't deal
with much.  Even here, though, if you do a search for your hardware in a
magazine site, along with the review is usually a discussion of any driver
issues.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:27:40 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Internal Modem

u sure its not a winmodem?

--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

From: Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Memory not found past 64MB (AMD K6-3, AGP Video, M598 Super Socket
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:25:14 GMT

Ben Greear wrote:

> Just got a new computer, and having some issues.  The specs are:
>         AMD K6-3 @ 450Mhz
>         128MB PC100 RAM (I have another 64M stick I put in at one time too.)
>         M598 Super Socket 7 Motherboard, with builtin SiS AGP 5595 Video. (8M of RAM)
>         Winbond w89c840 ethernet card
>
>         I first installed RH 6.0, which comes with the 2.2.5-15 kernel.
>         I also tried the latest 2.2.10 kernel.
>
> The problem is that, while the BIOS seems to detect the memory just fine,
> top never shows more than 64M being available.  This remains the same,
> whether or not I have just the 128MB RAM stick in, or both the 128 and the 64M
> stick in.
>
> I tried forcing the kernel to use 192 (with both sticks in) using a lilo.conf
> that looks like this:

UPDATE:  After posting this, I took a long look at the BIOS, and it looks like it
takes the 8MB for the AGP video out for me.  So, I went back in used
mem=120 for the lilo option (ie 128 - 8 for the video ==> 120).

top shows 120MB now, and things seem to be working fine!!

Ben

From: Jim Battin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 7895 SCSI Driver SMP Safe?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:26:15 -0500

I was wondering...

Are Linux's Adaptec 7895 (built into mobo) drivers SMP Safe, and will a
motherboard's "RAID Port" work with it?  We will be using Software RAID
1 most likely.

I had read in the old howto (from 1998) that the 78xx drivers were
really flakey, and that they weren't very SMP friendly, and weren't
ideal for RAID or SMP machines.  However, that was in the 2.1.9x kernel
days.

Any information would be great

Thanks
Jim Battin

------------------------------

From: Aaron Tomb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: Init fails to load
Date: 11 Jul 1999 20:30:56 GMT

Hi,

I'm having a bizzare problem.

I have a new system with A DFI K6XV3+ MB, an AMD K6-2/400 CPU, 128MB ram,
Award BIOS from early June.

Whenever I start up the system for the first time, the kernel boots (using
LILO) and gets as far as "Freeing unused kernel memory, 44k freed", and
then stops. It never runs init.

If I reset the computer then, it works fine, although I have to hit the
hardware reset, Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. It also works if I hit reset
before Linux even starts to load, while the BIOS is still doing its stuff.

It seems like it's a hardware problem in a sense, but it's very consistent.
The hardware isn't flaky, it just has some mistake in it? I think it's
something that could be worked around in the kernel, but I don't know quite
how.

Just for additional information, the BIOS sometimes doesn't detect all of
the memory. I've never had any problem with corruption of any sort. I think
the RAM is fine. It just sometimes doesn't all appear. I also think I need
to shorten my IDE cables for UDMA to work.

Oh, yes, and it's kernel 2.2.9-27, with the Mandrake distribution.

Thanks,
Aaron-

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barry Samuels)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.arch.storage
Subject: Re: Linux/KDE; KDat backup on dat tape proggy
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:37:10 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:44:29, "Gene Heskett"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me switch chairs here;
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive;
> File number=-1 Block number=-1 Partition=0
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code=0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi))
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bit on (1010000)
>  Online IM_REP_EN
>
> This is with a new Sony 120 meter tape in the drive.
>
> Let me repeat, KDat never touches the scsi bus to inquire of the drive.
> The 'mt' command does.  I feel that is a major clue right there.
>
> On the subject of tar, or cpio, how does one go about selecting the
> files you want to backup vs those you don't?  KDat gives you a choice,
> as does bru from what I've heard.

I have used KDat, recently, on my Debian 2.1 system with a WangDAT
3800 SCSI tape and have had no problems.  The tape device is set to
/dev/nst0 and after starting KDat and selecting 'Mount tape' it does
just that.  It does, as you mentioned above, allow directories/files
to be selected from the directory tree.

With an incorrect tape device setting e.g. /dev/tape it does give a
'no tape in drive' message on my machine.  Have you checked the kdatrc
file for any possible problems?

All I can say is that it does work on my system which probably isn't
much comfort.

Best wishes

Barry Samuels

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 11 Jul 1999 20:24:51 GMT

Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
: >
: >What it does do is take advantage of duals.  can get a lx dual
: >board for $50, bx dual, socket 370(ie don't have to buy converter
: >cards) with ata-66 for $130 & c400's for $75x2.  going the cheap
: >route, $200 for dual c400's vs $200 k63-450.  k63 will loose
: >easy.  multitasking, compiling, databases, spreadsheets, cad, ...
: >take advantage of duals.

: Wrong again.

: There is no board with duals that has ATA66.  Dual CPU mobos are Intel
: LX and BX only with ATA33 on the southbridge.  The only Slot 1 mobos
: with ATA 66 are all single processor Intel 810s, VIA or SIS chipset
: based.   However, Super 7 has ATA 66 already.   There are no
: commercially available dual PPGA 370 motherboards out there with ATA 66.

: Dream on.

I'm not sure if someone already posted a correction for you, but the Abit
BP6 has UDMA-66.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David T. Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Date: 11 Jul 1999 20:33:20 GMT

Chris Robato Yao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike
:Frisch) writes:
: >
: >Wrong again.  ABit BP6 supports dual Socket 370 Celerons and UDMA/66
: >support using the Intel BX chipset.

: How?  The BX does not officially support UDMA 66 unless you do tweaks
: that is not supported by Intel.  I really doubt if it's true UDMA 66 at
: all since according to Intel, BX has no UDMA 66 capability.   The only
: way I can see that is possible is by matching the i810's southbridge
: with the BX northbridge, and that is not sanctioned or allowed by Intel.

Abit used an extra chip, as I see on the diagram, it's a chip called
HPT 366, hanging off of the PCI bus, allowing a third and fourth IDE
channel.

: Like Intel does not support and will disable Celerons for
: multiprocessing?

Intel does't support it, but no "official word" yet on whether or not
it will be disabled.  IMO, Intel should just leave it be, as long as
it stays in the hardware_hacker/overclockers domain, it wouldn't cut into
revenues, and has quite a bit of propaganda value, as "the buzz" has now
shifted onto Dual Celerons.

--
main(){while(1){switch(rand()%7){case 0:printf("Illogical.\n");break;case 1:
printf("Balderdash.\n");break;case 2:printf("Non sequitur.\n");break;case 3:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prime Number)
Subject: Linksys Parascsi Plus Linux Drivers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:51:58 GMT

Anyone have linux drivers for a Linksys Parascsi Plus printer port to
scsi adapter for a NEC CD #502 and Quantum Fireball HD #1080s.
Linksys no longer supports this adapter.

Thanks
Prime Number
remove nospam to reply via email

------------------------------

From: "ChenthilWhelan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OverClocking....
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:37:07 +0530

I have a MPV3 VIA AGP Socket 7 Motherboard with a IntelPentiumMMX 200/66
Currently I run it at 266/75 with an extra fan. When I switch to 290/83 the
machine would not boot to normal mode in Win95 and reset in Linux 6.0 and no
display at 300/75 (No beep sounds). At 290/83 the processor temperature is
somewhere between 43-47 C. The machine runs fine at 250/83 and250/100 (I
have PC-100 Ram). I have tried raising the core voltage from 2.8(Default) to
3.0 .I have
read that PentiumMMX processors worked stable at 600/100 with very high
cooling. why could not I reach half of it. If the other components could not
work at such hich core, the machine worked well at 250/100. Neither 300/75 ,
280/83 , 300/100 work. Any suggession will be thanked.

Components Used...
Processor                IntelPentiumMMX 200
MotherBoard            VIA AGP MPV3
Ram                            128 MB PC100
VGACard                    Intel 740 AGP/8MB
NIC                            Realtech PCI (8029) & Compex RL100A
SoundCard                Yamaha 724
Modem                    SmartOne 336F (Internal ISA)
HDD                        Quantum Bigfoot 2GB Non UDMA-33
CDROM                 LG 32X

BYE. Will Keep In Touch.
Y's
SenthilVelan PI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://senthil.webjump.com

From: Richard Nilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP!!!  Anyone???  Someone???  Please???
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:19:28 -0700

Randy wrote:

>     Okay...  I can't take this anymore...  I cannot seem to get anything to
> work with the resolution in Xwindows...  I have a Diamond SpeedStar A50 8MB
> AGP video card, it has a SiS6326 AGP Controller...  I have an Impression 50
> Plus 15in. (13.8in. viewable)...  Horizontal Sync rates are 30-55 KHz...
> Vertical Sync rates are 50-120....  the Max resolution is 1024 dotsX768 line
> (at 60Hz)... I'd love to be able to have 800x600 res. with at least 256
> color...  Supposedly, the A50 uses the SVGA driver, but the only driver that
> I can get to work to the point where I don't have any display problems is
> VGA16...  with 16 color and a resolution of 640x480...  put I have to scroll
> around on the screen to see everything...
>     If ANYONE out there knows how to help me in any way, please let me
> know...  my email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>                                                 Thanks,
>
>                                                         Randy

This sometimes works...

Save your *sort-of-working* XF86Config
# cp  /etc/X11/XF86Config  /etc/X11/XF86Config-wkg

and try
# /usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig

Rik

From: "Peter Nugter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viper 770
Date: 9 Jul 1999 06:24:47 GMT

Can anyone tell me if and where a L inux driver for the Viper 770 is
available?

Thanks Peter Nugter