From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ide/udma66: does not scale. (suse 7.0 Linux 2.2.16)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 12:47:13 +0800

Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You tried to access an IDE disk 3 times simultaneously.  IDE is a
> piss-poor technology for multiple access on the same bus or disk.

Not three. Six - 3 input files, 3 output files.

The tests force the drive to seek; copying one file to another causes a lot
less seeking that copying three files simultaneously.

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IRQ conflicts?
Date: 16 Oct 2000 13:09:59 +0800

jdbow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying, thus far in vain, to pinpoint why my system hangs (really,
> the power switch doesn't even work) periodically in X.  Might the shared
> IRQ shown below (between my network card and Video card) be the
> problem?  More importantly, how do I change it?  I have (I think) freed
> up IRQs from 4 to 15 in my BIOS, yet IRQ 11 seems to want to be shared.
> My /proc/pci follows:

You don't say what kernel.

Shared PCI interrupts is supposed not to be a problem.

/proc/interrupts would be more useful.

You may be able to rearrange interrupts by either a BIOS setting or by moving
the network card to another slot.

From: Henrik Sorensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:35:44 +0200

Thanks for your comments.

Greg Leblanc wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Henrik Sorensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > hi!
<snip>

> You tried to access an IDE disk 3 times simultaneously.  IDE is a
> piss-poor technology for multiple access on the same bus or disk.

You are probably right, but if I can schedule 3 sequential processes
that completes faster, than the 3 simultaneous one, then I would expect
the kernel to be able to do so as well.

> > The tests I did was not very scientific, but copied a 1GB file
> multiple
> > times.
> > The happy test command was:
> > time cp filea.1GB fileb.1GB, result real: 118s, 2GB/118s=17MB/s
> > The unhappy test was (at 3 different command prompts):
> > time cp filea.1GB filec.1GB, result real: 16.0s
> > time cp filea.1GB filed.1GB, result real: 16.6s
> > time cp filea.1GB filee.1GB, result real: 16.9s
> > avg result for 3 processes: 6GB/990s=6.2MB/s ;-((((
>
> You must do math a little differently than I do.  Where does that 990
> seconds come from?  My calculations yield 495 seconds (assuming that
> those are supposed to be 160,166,169), for a throughput of about
> 12MB/sec.

Sorry, it should have read 16m0s,16m6s and 16m9s avg=965s, and the rate
6.3MB/s, still depressing.

thanks

------------------------------

From: Henrik Sorensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:40:06 +0200

Thanks for your comments.

Mark Hahn wrote:

> >> The joy would not end as my udma 66 controller delivered 17MB/s with
>
> current disks deliver ~25-35 MB/s.
Which version of Linux, drivers and disks?

> > You tried to access an IDE disk 3 times simultaneously.  IDE is a
> > piss-poor technology for multiple access on the same bus or disk.
>
> this is nonsense, since Linux schedules IDE activity.
> IDE is a superlatively cost-effective "technology".

This was one of mine points.
Since I can run 3 sequential jobs faster than the 3 simultaneous ones,
then this leaves some room for improvement of the kernel IDE scheduler.

Henrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (System V)
Subject: Re: A decent tape drvie?
Date: 16 Oct 2000 08:05:21 GMT

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for a good tape drive.  I see a few different brands that claim
>to support Linux, i.e., Exabyte, Onstream, HP, etc..  I would like to hear
>some real life experience with these devices before I make the purchase.
We have a Onstream DI30 and a Conner? DDS2
The Onstream is used for total backup op /home, and the DDS2 for incrementals

My experiance with the DI30 is that it is a verry slow device, it is supported
and very cheap. The tapes cost mucho $$ :-(
But it is a cost efficient solution if you can backup during low intensity hours
I haven'd checked out the compression yet, but I think it uses software
compression :-(

SysV

------------------------------

From: "Unknown User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: External ISDN Modem connection Help!!
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:09:38 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dietrich Timm"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry to disagree, Michael. I have an ISDN modem "The Open Group" NZ ,
> model "NT1 Plus" which under kppp any linux flavour sees the modem when
> queried but on every response line immediately after the answer is
> 'ERROR', why I don't know. Got it to work from command line but after
> initial burst of speed after about 15secs it slows to a crawl. The
> bloody thing is driving me up the wall. Maybe I would be better off
> putting an ISDN adapter card in the machine and run it through that if
> possible. Same modem under Win98 and BeOS5.03 goes like the clappers,
> Just my 2cents worth, Regards Dietrich

I'm using an external Motorola TA with Mandrake 7.1.  I used Kppp as a dialer but noted
 the speed was somewhat slower than under WIndows.  I installed Gnome and decided to
try other dialers.  Got a copy of Wvdialer and let it build it's wvdial.conf  file.
When
I connect with it, speeds are much faster than with the Kppp dialer.

Might want to give Wvdial a try.  It correctly identified my TA, which kppp never
seemed to quite figure out.

My 2 cents

John

------------------------------

From: kept <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI bus problem with ASUS A7V?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:10:09 -0000

just make sure your bios has plug and play turned off...this caused all of
my problems with the board. i was unable to configure my sound and network
cards which are in slots 4 and 3 respectively

From: kept <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat6.2 (or other) on Asus A7V Athlon system
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:10:09 -0000

there is another post in the forum that discusses problems with RH distros
and this board....im also asuming that you know not to connect the hd to
the ata100 controller right off the bat.  you need to disable the ata bios
stuff, and turn off Plug&play to get a successful install

Je77 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just assembled a quite nice machine and am having problems getting
linux
> on it. I'm hoping someone has come across a similar problem and might be
> able to help. This is my system:
>
>  Asus A7V Motherboard with an AMD Athlon 800 processor (Bios 1.0.3)
>  Tekram DC-315U SCSI Controller
>  SCSI CD-ROM (pretty generic; I forgot the name)
>  Generic floppy
>  IBM UDMA100 15Gb Hard Drive
>  Matrox Millenium G400 Graphics Card
>  Soundblaster 16 Audio Card
>
> I've tried to get RedHat6.2 working (both by SCSI CD-ROM and BOOT
> floppy). Unfortunately, it keeps on responding with "BOOT FAILED: PLEASE
> INSERT SYSTEM DRIVE" (or something very similar). Yuk! I have a version
of
> slackware too which doesn't seem to work either.
>
> I've installed Linux on several systems (including Alpha and PPC), but
> I've never had difficulties this early in the process. Very frustrating.
>
> Peace and Luck!
>
> Je77
>
> --
> "They bought and sold it all; it's gone. They've taken it and built
O-

From: kept <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon TB 750 + Asus A7V with RH6.2
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:10:10 -0000

a lot of the boards don't have the onboard sound, and i'd be surprised if
it worked underlinux since via doesn't actually support linux....but my
soundblaster live works fine now that i turned off plug and play in the
bios...this also made my NIC card work....it seems to be a fine board, but
research the ata-100 stuff first if you plan on using it, as people seem
to be confused about that.

From: Simone Contini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optical mouse for RedHat?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:36:02 +0200

Larry Ebbitt wrote:

> "Justin T. Reese" wrote:
> >
> > Anyone know of a brand/model of optical mouse that has drivers available
> > in Redhat linux (6.0 or 7.0?

My Logitech optical mouse works!

--
Simone Contini
Games & Tools Programmer

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://3dfx4ever.oltrelinux.com/
     http://scontini.xoasis.com/

ICQ # : 25879128

------------------------------

From: achim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dds3 streamer density code
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:53:32 +0200

Hi!
I have a problem withe the DDS3 Streamer Sony dts9000 (native 12GByte)
under Linux 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0) and a Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller. The
Drive  write only 8GByte on a DDS3 tape who can store 12 GByte native or
up to 24 GByte with compression.

The mt output (mt -f /dev/nrmt0 status) (GNU mt version 2.4.2):
drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
drive status = 318767616
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):

I think the problem is the density code 0x13 with 61000 bpi. But
DDS3-Media need a density of 122000 bpi but i can't change this value up
to 122000 bpi.

There is no density code for DDS3 when i typed in the command  mt
densities.
In the drive-manual i can't find anything about density-codes. And when
i try to change the density code to anything, the drive seems to ignore
this.

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks

achim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Help with winmodem
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:59:15 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

rasteri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have a advent laptop with a built in pci (I think) modem. I have
>reason to beleive that it is a winmodem. When I go to hyperterminal and
>type ati3 I get "Pctel 7.5504MS" as the reply. In the modems section of
>control panel it calls itself a "V.90 K56flex HSP PCI modem".

PCTel Winmodem.

>Is there
>any hope of getting this to run under linux? I have tried a few pctel
>drivers from http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

[...]

You'll have to precisely follow the instructions with the pctel.o
module, especially as far as using the matching modules and kernel
versions are concerned.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Neil Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,man.cs.os.linux
Subject: Voodoo 3 2000 DRI Drivers / XF86Config
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:58:22 +0100

What do I need to put in the XF86Config to use this card with the DRI
drivers?
Cheers.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,man.cs.os.linux
Subject: Re: Voodoo 3 2000 DRI Drivers / XF86Config
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:17:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Watson) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi,
>What do I need to put in the XF86Config to use this card with the DRI
>drivers?

Take a look at http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/DRI.html, it helped me a lot
with my rage128.
--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Minotaur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux box
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:30:47 GMT

I just started learning linux recently with plans of seting upa  linux box
to serve my lan b/c my cable modem require a dedicated server or a router.
I was just wondering what nic's and vid cards are the most linux-friendly
(if there even is such a thing)

------------------------------

From: "John Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Proxim Symphony and RH7?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:42:08 GMT

Proxim's website points to a third party (www.komacke.com) for drivers for
their Symphony wireless cards...  Site appears to be dead...  :(

Has anyone set up Symphony NIC's (ISA) under RH7?

Thanks for the help...

- John

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:50:23 GMT

I don't know where you buy your cable, but around here
(Toronto area), RG-58 is at least twice the cost of CAT 5
cable.  Even more so when purchased in large quantities.  I
can buy a 1000' box of CAT 5 for under $80 (CDN).  RG-58
would be closer to $200.  BNC connectors are a couple of
dollars each, but an RJ45 is just over a buck.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

------------------------------

From: "Guy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: HP35480A scsi tape drive config
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:02:59 GMT

I have loaded Red Hat 6.2 on an old PC.  Most everything is working OK,
except for an HP35480 DAT drive.  The device is seen at boot (see next -
dump from dmesg)

==================================
Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense
key Not Ready
==================================

1) Not sure to what to make of the message

2) Cannot find any good documentation on configuring scsi tape drives, much
less anything specific on this model

Looking for any guidance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:06:37 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:50:23 GMT, James Knott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I don't know where you buy your cable, but around here
>(Toronto area), RG-58 is at least twice the cost of CAT 5
>cable.  Even more so when purchased in large quantities.  I
>can buy a 1000' box of CAT 5 for under $80 (CDN).  RG-58
>would be closer to $200.  BNC connectors are a couple of
>dollars each, but an RJ45 is just over a buck.

A couple of years ago, I priced out two alternatives for my at-home
LAN: 10BaseT vs 10Base2. I was purchasing equipment in Toronto and
vicinity (Brampton), and had a tight budget. My LAN consists of two
machines; a 486DX4-80 in the basement, and a 6x86-120 60' away, in a
second floor den.

The 10Base2 solution (60' of coax, two BNC connectors, 2 50Ohm
terminators, 2 'T' connectors) was considerably cheaper than the
10BaseT solution (60' of UTP, connectors, crimper (or 50' + 10'
prepared cable), and a hub). I spent less than $30 on the entire
10Base2 cabling installation; the projected price of the equivalent
10BaseT setup was over $100 (including the hub). I could have reduced
the 10BaseT cost to about $40 by dropping the hub and using cross-over
cable, but I was reluctant to run a cross-over cable through two
floors only to rip it out and replace it when I expand to three or
more systems.

Since I built my LAN, I've watched prices in the Toronto area. 10BaseT
cable _might_ now be cheaper than 10Base2, but hubs still run around
$60 (for four ports). 10BaseT is still to expensive for me.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])