Linux-Hardware Digest #737, Volume #14            Mon, 7 May 01 09:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why is Sun selling Linux-based PC Server Applicances on www.sun.com  ("J.Teo")
  Re: Why is Sun selling Linux-based PC Server Applicances on www.sun.com  (Cobalt
servers)? (Mike N)
  Re: ProSavage PM133 (Tim Roberts)
  Re: Framegrabber recommendations? (Louis Boyd)
  Re: how to use MOD (Magneto Optical) drive under redhat 7.0? ("Dave Stanton")
  Re: Onboard video and eMachines ("larry")
  Re: CONFIG_USB_UHCI vs. CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT (a.k.a. JE) (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Webcam ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: CONFIG_USB_UHCI vs. CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT (a.k.a. JE) (Georg Acher)
  Ethernet PCMCIA Adapter (Martin Strasser)
  Re: Why is Sun selling Linux-based PC Server Applicances on www.sun.com  (Cobalt
servers)? ("C. Newport")
  Re: Why is Sun selling Linux-based PC Server Applicances on www.sun.com   (Cobalt
servers)? (Harri Haataja)
  Buffalo LPC4-TX pcmcia nic (Nick De Roeck)
  Re: No logitech mouse works with any distribution of linux... (Harri Haataja)
  ELSA Microlink Modem ("sfer")
  Re: digital camera (Jef Peeraer)
  Re: CONFIG_USB_UHCI vs. CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT (a.k.a. JE) (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: BP6 + Mandrake + reboot problem (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  where are the modem settings held? ("stevek")

From: "J.Teo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Why is Sun selling Linux-based PC Server Applicances on www.sun.com
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 05:18:10 GMT

> There are a lot of cool things happening in Linux, and Sun is right to
> realise it should get involved and make use of these things. After all
> the Linux sparc port has been around a while and people like me are
> scooping up old Sun equipment to run it on because we know it's going to
> be much better than on a PC, and much cheaper than Solaris!

Would you be kind enough to explain to me why buying old Sun equipment and
putting Linux on it would make it cheaper than Solaris?

------------------------------

From: Mike N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.unix.solaris
(Cobalt servers)?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 05:28:49 GMT

On Mon, 07 May 2001 01:03:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip
Brown) wrote:

>On Mon, 07 May 2001 01:28:28 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>As for your question about why they didn't start producing Cobalts with
>>sparc processors, well maybe the writing is on the wall for the
>>traditional sparc OS[...blah blah]
>
>the reason is because intel hardware is cheaper, and one of the main
>selling points about cobalt boxes is that they are CHEAP.

I recently spoke to a fellow at ISPCON whose title at Sun/Cobalt is
"Evangelism Manager" (Kick ass title IMHO!) His take is that the
switch to x86 hardware is due to the more readily available base of
code for the x86 arch. The MIPS arch. while very good performing has
to have the code ported to it which costs time and money in the
development department. So why reinvent the wheel? So the descision
was made to go to X86.

Sigh.

>[yes, I know they used to be MIPS based. same reason; they got a good
> deal on the processor they needed. but now it is more cost-effective
> to use intel hardware]

Mike N

------------------------------

From: Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: ProSavage PM133
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 22:30:44 -0700

"goolias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,all
>For those having problems with ProSavage PM133
>( Pro Savage KM133 is for Athlon system ) built in VGA in Via
>chipset, goto download driver from www.s3graphics.com
>( I can't find this url registered in google, however it really exist )
>it's s3savage-1.0-13.tar.gz, those listed in s3 nextmill site doesn't work
>for me until this driver ( in s3 nextmill it was in earlier version 1.0-6 )

The most recent version is 1.1.15, and is downloadable from
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html.

>However, I can get it start in 640x480 16 bppmode only, I can get it work
>in 800x600 16 bpp.

You should be able to get whatever fits in the memory you've allocated to
graphics.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Louis Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Framegrabber recommendations?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 06:14:44 +0000

Steve Snyder wrote:

>   Hello.
>
> I am looking for hardware/software advice for a framegrabber in Linux.
> While I am very familiar with Linux, I know roughly zero about
> framegrabbing.  Since I am just getting my feet wet, I'm looking for a
> simple setup, just a cheap parallel-port-based color camera and the
> software to use with it.  (Yes, I'm sure USB would be better, but this old
> machine lacks a USB port.  It does have an ECP parallel port, though.)
>
> I don't care about full-motion video; just stills.  Think of a Webcam.
>
> I've already searched this topic on Google.  While I got a lot of
> references, most seemed to be pretty old.  I doubt that most of the models
> referred to are still sold.  I'm guessing that most of the software
> mentioned is obsolete too.
>
> One more thing: I can't use any GUI tools.  I've got RedHat v7.1 installed
> on this machine, but not XFree86/KDE/Gnome.  Commandline tools will have
> to do.
>
> So... any recomendations on the camera & software I should use?  How about
> a HOW-TO of recent vintage?

Support for new frame grabbers under linux hasn't been very good. I'm
using Panasonic GP-MF602 cameras with Imagination CX-100 grabbers for
low light applications.  They're old ISA cards but I haven't found
anything better for B&W machine vision.   No one these days seems to
provide register level information so one can write their own code.
Provided linux drivers never do what I want and there's no source code.
Bummer.
--
Lou Boyd
Fairborn Observatory

------------------------------

From: "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to use MOD (Magneto Optical) drive under redhat 7.0?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 08:15:00 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi ppl!
>
> I have an ATAPI MOD drive Fujitsu 640MB on a generic i815-based
> pc-machine with RH7.0 and updated kernel to 2.4.2
>
> Unfortunately there's almost nothing in rh docs about MOD and all of it
> is about SCSI versions.
>
> How can I make this wonderful stuff work under linux?
>
> Alexander

Have u looked at the optical HOWTO ?.

Dave

------------------------------

From: "larry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Onboard video and eMachines
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 21:18:11 -0700

You should switch to Mandrake 8.0 it recognized my voodoo 3 2000 pci during
install. It also saw my onboard i810 and gave me the choice of dual head,
config both or one for use..

"none" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:A8kJ6.27811$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've recently acquired a year-old eMachine and would like to install
RedHat.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: CONFIG_USB_UHCI vs. CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT (a.k.a. JE)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 08:19:31 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Young4ert) wrote in
<duTI6.1146$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I am trying to compile linux-2.4.4 kernel on my linux machine comprised
>of  an Asus K7M Mobo and an AMD Athlon 500MHz CPU.  When configuring the
>"USB support", I get stuck and am confused as to which UHCI support to
>choose: CONFIG_USB_UHCI or CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT (Alternate JE Driver).
>Can anyone please shed some lights in this matter?

I was using the USB_UHCI for a while (Abit KT-7 raid MOBO), but as it
turned out, my setup would crash upon unloading the driver, so I switched
to the USB_UHCI_ALT driver, no problems since. Just try both and see if
there's any difference.

regards, Kenneth.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Webcam
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 12:45:21 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for a Webcam (USB or not) i can use with kernel 2.4 (or 2.2).
If you're using one, can you please tell me how it works (fine, very fine, bad !)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher)
Date: 7 May 2001 08:54:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) writes:

|> I was using the USB_UHCI for a while (Abit KT-7 raid MOBO), but as it
|> turned out, my setup would crash upon unloading the driver, so I switched

Fixed in 2.4.4.

--
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/

From: Martin Strasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ethernet PCMCIA Adapter
Date: 07 May 2001 10:58:35 +0000

Hello
I want to buy an Ethernet PCMCIA Adapter and did not know,
if it does work und Linux:
Toplink CardBus 10/100Mbps PC Card TL-5300CB
or
TL-5320

Thanks a lot
Martin

--
-> This message was written entirely with recycled electrons

------------------------------

From: "C. Newport" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 10:17:21 +0100

J.Teo wrote:

> > There are a lot of cool things happening in Linux, and Sun is right to
> > realise it should get involved and make use of these things. After all
> > the Linux sparc port has been around a while and people like me are
> > scooping up old Sun equipment to run it on because we know it's going to
> > be much better than on a PC, and much cheaper than Solaris!
>
> Would you be kind enough to explain to me why buying old Sun equipment and
> putting Linux on it would make it cheaper than Solaris?

Only Solaris 8 is free, you need 2.6 or 7 to run on the Sun4c
processor, which is definitely NOT free.

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe.  [Albert Einstein].

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:19:41 GMT

Sriranga Veeraraghavan wrote:

>If you are interested in an alternative OS on older Sun hardware, I
>would recommend you try either NetBSD or OpenBSD instead of Linux.
>
>In my personal experience, having run Sparc-Linux on everything from
>an IPC to a Ultra1, Sparc-Linux is not nearly as stable or fast as the
>BSDs. Things may have changed now, but it used to be quite difficult
>to get stable kernels and glibc's on Sparc-Linux. About the only
>reason I know of to choose Sparc-Linux over one of the BSDs is SMP
>support.

This has been the case ages ago. Unfortunately it's really hard to
find a recent distribution that easily installs on sparcs. N/O BSD's
works fairly nicely.

I have a personal grudge with the perverted BSD "package manager",
though ;)

>Anyway, I'm currently running OpenBSD on my SS10 and I'm pretty happy
>with that.

Good for you. I have NetBSD because I like to scrap most crypto tools
from 25MHz SS1+ for speed ;). So I run mostly rsh, nfs etc at home.
I did try OpenBSD on it (2.6) a while ago. Both seem very nice and
indeed, they are light and fast while Linux distributions tend to
pile SysV-style bureaucracy in favor of flexibility.

BSD is very hard to mill around with, trying new things and upgrading
the configuration. Even putting autostarting apache can be a little
tricky if you're not used to it ;). No to mention no MySQL for
NetBSD(/sparc?).
For a non-changing workstation (what, wait another day for recompile
on that old dog? not. =) it's great though. Shame about the poor
framebuffers though. Not much software is light and 8-bit-friendly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/colmapx/ was started for this, but
hasn't seen any content. Got old docs? Get them a home ;)

--
Integrating Cyberspace into our Moral Universe:
        http://securityportal.com/kfiles/files/totemtaboo.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 11:20:07 +0200
Subject: Buffalo LPC4-TX pcmcia nic
From: Nick De Roeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my pcmcia nic working on RedHat 6.2 (Buffalo LPC4-TX
pcmcia bought in Japan). I can't find anything about this specific card on
pcmcia-cs, but in an (foolish ;-) attempt to make it work I followed the
procedure for it's predecessor (LPC3-TX) for which I had to use/configure
the pcnet_cs module (which in it's turn seems to load the 8390 module).

Inserting the card results in the appearance of an interface 'eth0' reported
by ifconfig. But after giving it a correct ip and the like it can't make it
work (no network traffic possible, the led's on the card stay dead, ...).
The /var/log/messages reports the succesfull detection of a ne2000
compatible card (eth0: ne200 compatible, irq 5, 0x300).

Does anybody has any experience with this card ? Does anyboy maybe know what
kind of chipset sits inside ? Or can somebody maybe point me out how I can
discover which chipset is used in this card ?

tnx,

regards,

nick.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: No logitech mouse works with any distribution of linux...
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:31:43 GMT

iQXth wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I've never owned anything other than a logitech, and never had linux refuse
>> to use any of them.  had some slight glitches with USB in getting my latest
>> (USB mouseman optical wheelmouse) going, but...
>>
>> my linux box has known the following:
>> original logitech 3 btn (yes, the original serial)
>> slightly newer 3 btn serial
>> 2btn wheen ps/2 with the wheel acting as a 3rd button
>> same thing, only optical :)

I, and many others I know (bulk order ;), have a PS/2 Logi.
Both "does-not-work) black and color ones. All work great.

>> though in retrospect, this could be just a troll.

>All I want to know is if the iFeel technology in Logitech's new
>optical mice interfere with it behaving as a generic 3-button mouse
>under Linux.

Didn't look like it.

>The reason I chose the subject 'No logitech mouse works with any
>distribution of linux...' was an experiment on my part to get people's
>attention. My previous post with the more appropriate subject of
>'Logitech iFeel mice as generic?' went entirely ignored.

This is called 'trolling', although it wasn't intentional.
You asked about "no logitech mouse works" and got a thread about
how wrong that is. Just what you ordered. The lack of attention to
your other post only shows the lack of interest people have for that
subject ;)

>This is what I'm learning from all this:
>
>- People are mostly interested in subject lines.

Yes, it is the *topic*. The subject everyone is to follow on
that thread. Drifts are to be renamed. It is a distillation
of the original post (and does not replace the content! only
contains a *short* and *full* description of it).

>- A post that goes ignored is in fact being responded to in a way by
>the group. The response is a unanimous 'I don't know'.

"I don't know" "I don't care" "My killfile got that one"...

Trolling is a pretty certain way to make sure the last one
happens (more and less) to *ALL* your posts in the future.

No, I don't know how that particular mouse operates, either =)

From: "sfer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ELSA Microlink Modem
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:10:21 +0200

I need help

I've got an elsa microlink 56k PCI modem and it is always busy,
Apparently I see that it is a winmodem

Linux recognize it as Rockwell PCI 56K HCF

I try different things, linmodem driver etc but not work

If someone can help me ?

From: Jef Peeraer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: digital camera
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:21:19 +0200

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Sun, 06 May 2001 05:38:28 GMT, Drew Roedersheimer staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> >On 6 May 2001 01:36:22 -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> >>On Sun, 06 May 2001 05:18:17 GMT, Drew Roedersheimer
> >><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>
> >>gphoto.org !!!  http://gphoto.org/cameras.html
> >Thanks for the info/link...
>
> Please note that the developers of gphoto mean it when they say "Cameras
> with similar model numbers tend to use the same communications
> protocol."  F'rexample, the Olympus 490Z is not on the compatability list
> for gphoto, but it works great with the 450Z settings.
>
> If you can, bring a laptop with gphoto installed to the store, then ask
> to test-drive the camera you're interested in.
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
> -----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Strange that the site jPhoto never pops up ( maybe it is because it has
something todo with Java ). However, I have a kodak DC4800 which uses
the PTP protocol ( Picture Transfer Protocol ), and it is currently only
supported by jPhoto ( not by gPhoto) . Works perfectly!!

http://jphoto.sourceforge.net/

Jef

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 12:03:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher) wrote in
<9d5nsl$h4t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>|> I was using the USB_UHCI for a while (Abit KT-7 raid MOBO), but as it
>|> turned out, my setup would crash upon unloading the driver, so I
>|> switched
>
>Fixed in 2.4.4.

Ahh. Good thing I am already running 2.4.4 then :) Thanx for the info.

regards, Kenneth Rørvik, Oslo, Norway.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Subject: Re: BP6 + Mandrake + reboot problem
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 12:36:57 GMT

Jerry Broszkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > If the reset and power-off buttons don't even work,
> > I'd say you have a hardware problem.  Those buttons
> > don't rely on software (e.g., the OS) to do their
> > thing, UIAGM.  They're hardware-level controls.
> >
> > Unless you've got a fake "power" button like the
> > one on the keyboards of some PowerPC-era Macs or
> > the one-way on-only buttons on accursed iMacs.
>
> There are three buttons on the InWin case. On the
> front, Reset and On/Off. On the power supply, an
> On/Off.

Ah.  Probably the one on the power supply is the hardware
power switch.  I don't know anything about InWin cases,
but the other switches may be proprietary stuff like the
extra "internet" buttons on some lower-grade keyboards.

> From WinME I can Shutdown or Restart with
> no problems - everything works. Only from reboot
> (or shutdown) in Linux does the problem occur. If
> it was hardware, you'd think it would occur when
> restarting WinME too.

Did Linux finish shutting down and say "halt" on the
console or first VT?  If so, then you can power off
the system at that point using the switch on the power
supply.

As far as why rebooting wouldn't work, I'm not sure.
When it wants to reboot, doesn't Linux just jump to
the physical address of the ROM BIOS?  And isn't that
fairly standardised?  (No, I'm not sure; that's why
I'm asking.)

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: "stevek" <skortjohnatmetrolinkdotnet>
Subject: where are the modem settings held?
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:51:32 -0400

I have an internal pci usrobotics modem.  It had been working ok since
putting the pc together (about 3 weeks) and then stopped working yesterday.
I am using redhat 7.1.  I have tried physically removing and reinstalling
the modem.  Each time linux notes the correct modem and asks if I want to
remove configuration settings or set up the modem, depending on whether I am
putting or taking.  When I try redetecting or setting up the modem, I get
"no modem found" messages.  I do not think I did anything to confuse the
matter, and had no problems during initial linux installation.  I thought if
I found all of the relevant configuration files and commented out setting
for the modem, I could then try to redetect/configure from fresh.  Can
anyone point me to the locations that might hold modem settings?

thanks,
steve