Linux-Hardware Digest #737, Volume #12           Tue, 25 Apr 00 11:14:40 EDT

Contents:
  Re: HOT HD (Charlie Brown)
  FS: toshiba 430CDT and ZipDrive $480 and FDC settlement of $100! (Chris T)
  Re: Best printer for linux box? (John Hong)
  Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX ("Boomer")
  Re: Web Camera (Dave Edick)
  AMD K6 II 350 MHZ bug? ("Peter Buchmann")
  Re: dec rz 25 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Floppy format problem. ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed? (CaT)
  Re: AMD K6 II 350 MHZ bug? (Wolfgang Fritz)
  Re: What is the most IDE drives a box can have? (h0l0gRaM)
  Re: SB 128PCI setup (h0l0gRaM)
  paride useage ("Glenn Robinson")
  insmod and 3c509 (Bob)
  Motorola SM56 WinModem support under Linux? ("Saso Trendafilov")
  Help PLEASE (Soteropoulos Demetris)
  Re: Sound Card Help: Essolo ES1938 (niels)
  gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer zusammenfügen ("Stephan Weber")
  Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer zusammenfügen ("Martin")
  Re: Motorola SM56 WinModem support under Linux? (Rob Clark)
  Re: need help with a modem config (Conexant) (Jeff Hall)
  Daemon ("Ian")
  Guillemot Xentor 16 MB (Harry Schindler)
  =?utf-8?Q?Re:_gesplittete_Partition_wieder_zu_einer_zusammenf=C3=BCgen?= (Ulli Rain)
  ATT: Pls help again: Problems ("eliz154")
  Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use - Zoomair? (David
Usherwood)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Brown)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: HOT HD
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 04:50:42 GMT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:01:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart
Honsberger) shocked the world by writing:

>On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:59:31 GMT, Charlie Brown wrote:
>>>Any HDD over 6GiB is reccomended to sit in a 5 1/4" bay with a HDD cooling
>>>unit. HDD coolers are relatively inexpensive, and could save you lots of
>>>trouble and expense somewhere down the road.
>>
>>Who, exactly, is this recommended by?
>>Not the drive makers.
>
>Anybody who's ever touched the bottom of an over-heated drive, or had drive
>componants fuse together?

Does that mean, as you said above, that all >6 gig drives do that?
I don't think so.

>I believe I've even seen some provisos in drive warranties that mandate the
>use of sufficient cooling mechanisms. Your case just might have good enough
>airflow, and your operating environment is likely cool enough.

I have no problem with *some* drives needing extra cooling.
It's the "Any HDD over 6GiB is reccomended to sit in a 5 1/4" bay with
a HDD cooling unit" statement that I'm questioning.

------------------------------

From: Chris T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.laptops,misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.portables
Subject: FS: toshiba 430CDT and ZipDrive $480 and FDC settlement of $100!
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:01:52 -0700

I have my Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT with an active matrix LCD for
sale.  The CPU is a Pentium running at 120mhz,  it has the CD-ROM
attachment and the Floppy Disk attachment.  The condition is fair because
of a small crack near one of the hinges (I think this a common problem)
and there are a couple of stickers on the case (a CRYSTAL METHOD and a
SWITCH BLADE SYMPHONY).  I still have the original manuals as I'm the
original owner.  Also included is a PC-Card FaxModem rated at 56k Flex.
I will not erase the HD which has MS OFFICE 97 PRO, running MS Windows
98, MS MONEY 99 and more!  You will be responsible to delete those Apps.
I will include a very nice laptop bag which the Satellite Pro fits very
well in and an external mouse (when you don't want to use the trackpoint)
NEW PRICE $480 (need the cash for taxes).  Also as a recent addition I
will include my Zip Drive as well because I realized that I won't need it
after the sale. Also after going to Toshiba's web site to update the
drivers I notice a settlement from the FDC that entitles Toshiba laptops
owners towards $100 free on Toshiba products this is the web site for
more details:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/notices/fdcsettlement.jsp

E-mail me for more info (one the laptop NOT the legal settlement I am not
a lawyer) or if you wish to buy the laptop at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or I prefer [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: Re: Best printer for linux box?
Date: 24 Apr 2000 05:08:05 GMT

The Wogster ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: 2) They made Win3.0 emulation to good, if support would have been flakey,
: then software vendors might have been more willing to produce native mode
: stuff for it.

        But some software vendors did produce native OS/2 stuff.  It was
only unfortunate that the vast majority, if not all, were very poor and
sloppy ports.  Neither the WordPerfect 5.x or Lotus products for OS/2
were very good.

------------------------------

From: "Boomer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:52:43 -0700

I am running Corel Linux OS Deluxe.
Corel Linux is powered by the Debian Linux distribution
and a set of complimentary tools & utilities from GNU.

I tried to setup my Sound card.
Cannot get the Sound card to work!!!
Linux is not Initializing the sound card,
however Linux does detect the sound chip.
"ESS Chip ES1869 Detected"
I may need another sound card driver.
How do I config the sound card?
Below is the sound card Specifications.

Sound card
Pine Technology USA
http://www.pineusa.com
Specifications:
Chipset: ESS 1869
Recording & Playback: 16-bit stereo full duplex A/D and D/A
Sample Rates: 4KHz to 44.1KHz
Data Compression: ADPCM, ESPCM Audio compression
ESFM Synthesizer: 20 voice/72 operators
                  (backward compatible with OPL3 FM synthesizer)
Volume Control: 6-bit (64 steps) software master volume control
Integrated CODEC: Full duplex monophonic mode/half duplex stereo mode
3D Sound Effects: Integrated with Spatializer 3D stereo sound licensed from
Spatializer Audio Lab Inc.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: Input for Line-in,
      Mic-in, plus output for stereo Speaker-out or Line-out
PC’97 Compliance Rev.1.0: Min 85db Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
                          for digital audio playback max 0.02%
                          Total Harmonic Distortion (THR) for digital
                          audio playback
Output Power Amp: 2 Watts per channel
Audio Mixer: 6-channel mixing
MIDI Interface: MPU401 (UART mode) support DUAL game port
                for joysticks or external MIDI
Compatibility: Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, Window Sound System,
               MPC, MPCII, AdLib
Hardware:
Standard 450 Mhz Intel system
with a 20GB & 8GB drives.

I am running Netscape and can also get my e-mail.
How do I download and install Netscape 6?
How do I download and install any software in Linux OS?
Is there any version of Microsoft Internet Explorer that works on Linux OS?
How do I setup internal PCI  ZOLTRIX  56K Modem on COM3?
Thank You
Bob Whitman
e-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:         614-538-1598
Fax:        614-538-8187
1821 Willoway Circle North
Columbus, Ohio 43220

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Edick)
Subject: Re: Web Camera
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:07:59 GMT

I second this recommendation.  The Axis cameras are the best on the market,
IMHO.  I just got 4 2100's at work.  One problem is that the 2100 is in
extremely short supply.  The ones we just got were ordered in January!
They're worth the wait, though.  Once you try one, you'll consider other
"web cameras" to be toys.  They're an amazing piece of work.

They do have one major downside, though.  They don't work in bright sunlight.
They're designed for low light performance and get overwhelmed by direct
sunlight.  According to the manual, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can
damage them.  So if you want to show pictures of something outdoors, you'll
need to use something else.  That turned out to be a minor issue for us,
because we wanted to use one temporarily to show live pics of a building under
construction.

In most cases, you can just point to the camera's web server directly.  We
tested it serving multiple 640x480 10fps animation streams.  It can fill a 10Mb
ethernet pipe by itself.  Most sites will run out of bandwidth before they hit
the camera's limits.

If Axis fixed their supply problems and included a daylight filter (the camera
accepts standard replacement lenses), it would be perfect.

------------------------------

From: "Peter Buchmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD K6 II 350 MHZ bug?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:12:53 +0200

Hi everybody

I tried to install 3 different distributuions on my system: SuSE 6.3, RedHat
6.1 and Corel Linux, with no sucess: They all crashed when ate,pting to load
the kernel.

I found a notice that there is a bug in some AMD K6 II CPUs.

Does anybody know something about this and whether newer versions of the
kernel can deal with the problem?

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: dec rz 25
Date: 24 Apr 2000 07:19:54 GMT

hugo hallqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder if someone could point me in the direction as of where to find
> specs on jumpers on the DEC RZ25 scsi hard drive. I want to enable
> termintion, but haven't got the manual and there is lots of jumpers on the
> drive. Any help would be appreciated. I have already searched www.pc-disk.de
> with no luck.. :-( (It's not the RZ25-L mentioned there, this is a 400 MB
> hd, the -L version is 500 MB).

> Regards, Hugo

I think that the RZ drives had a strong
tendency to be remarked Conner drives.
Look for some indication of the original
part number. My RZ-23's and 24 had something
on the bottom side, IIRC. I think they also
had the same jumper configuration, perhaps
with the pins moved a bit. Might the 25-L
information be valid?

jeremy

------------------------------

Date: 24 Apr 2000 0:35:4 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy format problem.
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Charles Sullivan;

 CS> Has anyone successfully formatted a 5.25" double-density 360K
 CS> floppy diskette on a high-density 1.2 Meg floppy drive under
 CS> Linux, specifically RedHat 6.0?  Or any version of Linux?

 CS> I use the command:
 CS>   fdformat /dev/fd0d360

 CS> and get the following:
 CS>   [csul@localhost csul]$ fdformat /dev/fd0d360
 CS>   Double-sided, 40 tracks, 9 sec/track. Total capacity 360 kB.
 CS>   Formatting ... done
 CS>   Verifying ... end_request: I/O error, dev 02:04 (floppy), sector 0
 CS>   Read: : Input/output error
 CS>   Problem reading cylinder 0, expected 9216, read -1
 CS>  [csul@localhost csul]$ end_request: I/O error, dev 02:04 (floppy),
 CS>  sector
 CS> 2
 CS>   end_request: I/O error, dev 02:04 (floppy), sector 4
 CS>   end_request: I/O error, dev 02:04 (floppy), sector 6
 CS>   end_request: I/O error, dev 02:04 (floppy), sector 9
 CS>   <etc>

 CS>   I don't have this problem when formatting a high-density 1.2 Meg
 CS> floppy under Linux, and Win 98 will format either 360K or 1.2 Meg
 CS> without a problem.  I've also tried a different floppy drive
 CS> with the same results.  (Both are Teac drives; one is about 10 years
 CS> old and the other is new.)

 CS> Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?  Or is this a
 CS> bug?

1. It may be a bug.

2. It may be that the linux writers looked at that bad situation and
decided not to cover it.  I sure wouldn't, its a disaster looking for a
place to happen.

The reasons are pretty basic.

a: the tracks laid by that DSQD drive are only about 40% of the width of a
true DSDD 360k drive, meaning there is gonna be huge amounts of noise
from the old data on either side of the new "formatted" track.

b: In addition to double-stepping the heads to make it into a 40 track
drive, a 48 tpi if you will, the spindle speed must be slowed down from
360 to 300 rpm, and the data pump must be switched down from 500
kilobaud to 250 kilobaud.

c: to go along with the spindle speed, data rate changes, the recording
currents applied to the heads should also be reduced IF its a DSDD disk,
something the drive has no sensors to detect, otherwise the heads would
be driven so hard that the recording is actually partially erased by the
excess currant.

Overall, trying to make a 360k diskette in a 1.2 megger will have to
deal with the fact that its probably can only be read in that same
drive, no real 360k drive, with its wider heads, would ever give you an
error free read.

Did I mention its a bad idea?  The only snowballs chance of making it
work is if you started with a bulk erased diskette, one erased by one of
those $30 tape erasers they sell at radio shack.  You could probably put
that disk in a real 360k drive and read it, but if you ever wrote to it,
and then tried to re-write that same area again in the QD drive, at
least that file would be trashed forever.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |This Space for rent

From: CaT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: whats *your* ($hdparm -t) speed?
Date: 24 Apr 2000 07:16:30 GMT

Jerry Natowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the following on Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:25:41 GMT:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Michael Meissner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>MGatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> What is everyone here getting for $hdparm -t
>>> speeds?  I'm especially interested in those w/ ultra DMA or SCSI
>>> controllers cards.  I have a promise U66 w/ maxtor's latest and
>>> greatest, and am still only getting on avg. 15 MB/sec.  (half of what
>>> winbench reports for windoze!)
>>
>>Let's see, for my Quantum Atlas 10K 9WLS (this is a 10,000rpm ultra2 drive), I
>>get 23.88 MB/sec.  For my 2 IBM 10K drives I get 18.93 MB/sec and 19.28 MB/sec,
>>with lesser amounts for the older disks.
>
> I get 22.22 MB/sec for my 20GB IBM drive (7200 RPM), and 13.01 MB/sec for

I bet we have the same HD. I get this figure aswell with my 20Gig IBM. :)

My other IBM only does 12.61MB/sec. :/

--
CaT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

        'He had position, but I was determined to score.'
                -- Worf, DS9, Season 5: 'Let He Who Is Without Sin...'

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Fritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6 II 350 MHZ bug?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:52:32 +0200

Peter Buchmann wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I tried to install 3 different distributuions on my system: SuSE 6.3, RedHat
> 6.1 and Corel Linux, with no sucess: They all crashed when ate,pting to load
> the kernel.
>
> I found a notice that there is a bug in some AMD K6 II CPUs.
>
> Does anybody know something about this and whether newer versions of the
> kernel can deal with the problem?
>
> Peter

Hello Peter,

I upgraded an old ASUS mainboard from 133MHz Pentium to AMD K6-II 350
using a socket adapter. I had to upgrade the BIOS to recognize the
processor, but linux works without problems. Nevertheless problems have
been reported with some chip revisions in the past. Take a look at the
SuSE support databank at http://www.suse.de and search for K6.

My processor shows the following info in /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 365.630294
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 729.09

You should be able to get a similar information with other OSes too (W98
"Systemsteuerung").

Wolfgang

------------------------------

From: h0l0gRaM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the most IDE drives a box can have?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:16:55 +0300

Dion wrote:

> With the dawn of the 40 GB drives I am looking at building a mass
> storage file server.  I am fairly confident that 4 - 40 GB drives
> could fit... but now that some boards have extra plugs for ATA66.  Is
> it possible to use all 4 and have 8 - 40 GB disks?  This would
> certainly yield quite a bit of disk spaces.... Has anyone tried more
> than 4 IDE disks?  What was your success?

I tried two IDE controllers with my old PC ,didn't work perfectly.

And answer is ,forget those IDE disks ,too slow for anything.
IDE needs powerful CPU to equal with SCSI drive ,but then IDE's should do
only those easy things ,like copying one file at time ,not like with SCSI
,can do lots of copying and you don't see any lowered performance.

Yes IDE is cheaper ,but lets face it ,shit doesn't have value.

------------------------------

From: h0l0gRaM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB 128PCI setup
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:25:55 +0300

Icarus wrote:

> I am running Corel Linux 1.0 & can`t get my SB 128PCI to work.The
> following is the result from 'sndconfig'.....
>
> starting soundcard installation
> pci probe result: pci sound card found! Model: Audio Pci
> old /etc/conf.modules will be renamed /etc/conf.modules.bak
> sound card installation completed
> writing out detected info to /etc/devices......Done!
> updating /etc/modules....
> Modifying /etc/isapnp.conf
> error opening /etc/isapnp.conf
>
> The sound card still does not work.
> When I go check out  /etc/isapnp.conf I find it no longer exists, but
> /etc/isapnp.gone does.
>  Any body got any ideas on this?
> Do I need this file?
> How do I get SB128PCI to work?
>
> Any Ideas greatly apreciated.
> thanks Andy

If you don't have module named soundcore.o and es1371.o or es1370.o
,compile it.
Then you only need to modprobe es1370.o or es1371.o ,now try to play
something.
But remember ,cat sound.au > /dev/dsp ,doesn't work ,look in doc's if you
want know why.

If these doesn't work ,try out alsa drivers.

------------------------------

From: "Glenn Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: paride useage
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:04:09 +0100

Hello,

I'm using RH6.1.

I have an external HP Colorado 5GB drive that attaches to my parallel port.
Now I've checked out the gear.torque.net/paride info but I'm still a bit
confused.

I understand that I need paride and this is already configured as a a module
(confirmed this by running xconfig).
I need high level driver pt, I have pt.c in my
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/paride directory.
I also have pt0/1/2/3 in my /dev directory.
I also need low level driver epat, I have epat.c in my
/usr/src/linux/drivers/block/paride directory.

My question is. How do I install the above so that I can access my tape
drive? i.e. what is the next step?

Thanks

Glenn

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 05:03:50 +0100
From: Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: insmod and 3c509

2.2.14
3c509B
insmod insists in installing as irq 10 and io 0x300

It does not matter how I have the card configured except
that it only works when set to the irq and io above.

Problem is I want to use irq 10 with another card.

I've set the options in modules.conf but it seems like
insmod is getting them from somewhere else.

Any clues???

-bob

------------------------------

From: "Saso Trendafilov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Motorola SM56 WinModem support under Linux?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:07:24 +0200

Does anybody know if winmodems are supported under Linux?

Thanks

Sasho

------------------------------

From: Soteropoulos Demetris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help PLEASE
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:33:11 +0300

Hi I'm relatively new to linux , and  I've been trying to install redhat

6.2 on my laptop...everything starts up ok  BUT  when it comes to
checking the module dependencies on start-up it says something like
'Detecting sound module (maestro)' and then just  stalls and nothing
responds not even the keyboard...My friend has exactly the same comp. as

me and had no probs in the installation......
Does anyone have any clues??
Thank you for your time

Demetris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:40:32 +0200
From: niels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Card Help: Essolo ES1938

Brian McIlvaine wrote:

> Has anyone have any experience with this card under Linux? I guess I will
> try the Essolo Maestro driver if I can't ID anything else.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Hi

I have it working with the alsa solo1 driver.

Try looking at http://www.alsa-project.org .

Niels

------------------------------

From: "Stephan Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc,de.comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer zusammenfügen
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:20:19 +0200

Hallo Leute

Habe ein großes Problem. Habe auf meinem alten Rechner Win 98 installiert.
Danach die Festplatte mit Fips in zwei Partitionen C und D gesplittet und
mal zum ausprobieren Caldera Open Linux 2.3 auf D installiert genau wie
beschrieben. Dazu den Bootmanager LILO. Nachher startete aber nur noch
Linux. Kein Windows. Startdiskette brachte auch nichts. Also dachte ich mir
formatiere Festplatte neu, Format C:. Das stellte sich als Fehler heraus.
Windows weg, Linux startet nicht mehr, Bios Spricht Falsches Dateiformat.
Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
einer großen machen??

Wäre dankbar für Hilfe

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc,de.comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:07:51 +0200

> Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
> einer großen machen??

Bootdiskette anlegen (mit fdisk und format drauf!!)
von bootdisk booten -> Partitions löschen (alle!!) -> Neue Partition
anlegen -> Neuinstallation von Win98

Gruß!
Martin

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Motorola SM56 WinModem support under Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:05:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Saso Trendafilov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Does anybody know if winmodems are supported under Linux?

Motorola SM56 modems do not support Linux... sorry :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Jeff Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: need help with a modem config (Conexant)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:08:22 -0400

information to help you might be at http://linmodem.org and/or
http://www.linmodems.org.  (Though both of these sites seem to be down this
morning)  Generally, do a search on www.redhat.com for "Conexant".

------------------------------

From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Daemon
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:38:38 +0100

What are the other users like 'Daemon' and 'admin', and what are there
passwords.

------------------------------

From: Harry Schindler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:03:29 GMT
Subject: Guillemot Xentor 16 MB

===============_4D4800D6200A034096F0

Hallo!
Wer hat schon mal die Guillemot Xentor unter Suse 6.4 ausprobiert!=20
in der hardwareliste wird nur die Creative Graphics blaster mit TNT2-=20=

Chipsatz als getestet ausgewiesen, nicht aber die  Guillemot Xentor.
Oder wer kann mir (Linuxanf=E4nger) erkl=E4ren wie ich sie zu laufen=20=

kriegen w=FCrde?
Vielen Dank.!
Harry

===============_4D4800D6200A034096F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <TITLE>Guillemot Xentor 16 MB</TITLE>
        <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"StarOffice/5.1 (Win32)">
        <META NAME=3D"CREATED" CONTENT=3D"20000424;13571172">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGEDBY" CONTENT=3D"Harry Schindler">
        <META NAME=3D"CHANGED" CONTENT=3D"20000424;14032911">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>Hallo!</P>
<P>Wer hat schon mal die Guillemot Xentor unter Suse 6.4 ausprobiert!=20=

</P>
<P>in der hardwareliste wird nur die Creative Graphics blaster mit
TNT2- Chipsatz als getestet ausgewiesen, nicht aber die  Guillemot
Xentor.</P>
<P>Oder wer kann mir (Linuxanf&auml;nger) erkl&auml;ren wie ich sie zu
laufen kriegen w&uuml;rde?</P>
<P>Vielen Dank.!</P>
<P>Harry</P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

===============_4D4800D6200A034096F0==

------------------------------

From: Ulli Rain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc,de.comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Re:_gesplittete_Partition_wieder_zu_einer_zusammenf=C3=BCgen?=
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:34:43 +0200

"Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreibselte am Mon, 24 Apr 2000
13:07:51 +0200 folgende Zeilen:

|> Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
|> einer großen machen??
|
|Bootdiskette anlegen (mit fdisk und format drauf!!)
|von bootdisk booten -> Partitions löschen (alle!!) -> Neue Partition
|anlegen -> Neuinstallation von Win98

Schön, wenn´s denn so einfach wäre!
Genau das gleiche Problem hatte ich mit Suse-Linux auch und Fdisk
konnte mit der Linux-Partition absolut nichts anfangen. Ich dachte
schon jetzt ist es zu spät.
Also nochmal die Linux-CD rein und mit dem Patitionierprogramm von
Linux (weiss der Teufel wie das hiess) die Linux-Partition zur
Dos-Partition umgewandelt. -> Windows Startdiskette rein, Fdisk
gestartet und Partitionen gelöscht und neu erstellt- dann gings.

Gruss Ulli

------------------------------

From: "eliz154" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Subject: ATT: Pls help again: Problems
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:05:31 +0100

Hi
Can someone pls help?  I'm trying to install definite linux (which is the
same as Redhat) I keep getting this error message. "The state of the system
is not in sync with the current/updated configuration" You are allowed to
make it current with the current configuartion"  When I try to active the
changes to the system, "The state of the system is not n sync with
current/updated configuration. " Do you want to examine the error logs"?
When I say "yes" I want to examine the log, it then says " sun April,time
"activating changes" I think this might have sometime to do with the time
clock.  I have a dual boot system with Windows 95. The Windows time clock is
set to GMT.  When installing Linux I chose "GMT" or Britian and GB. I live
in Scotland.  Even thought I've tried GMT, Britian and GB, I still get the
same error messages. Can anyone pls help?

Thanks
Eliz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Usherwood)
Subject: Re: Wireless neworking for Linux and Windows for home use - Zoomair?
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 15:44:05 GMT

I bought a couple of Zoomair PCMCIA cards , one with a PCMCIA ISA socket. The
aim was to put the ISA socket and one card in my 24/7 Suse Server, then use
the other in a Wintel portable. However I've got stuck on the first stage - I
don't know how to get the the PCMCIA ISA socket working. I've tried the
PCMCIA-CS suite but it doesn't recognise the chipset. Can anybody suggest what
it might be, and what you have to do to make it work?