  Re: ssh/rsh ("Chuck Swiger")

From: JoeB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,al.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.misc
Subject: Re: PPP and Winmodem
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:09:49 +0100

Many thanks for the tip. I do have a winmodem as I mentioned.
The site you recommended did say that if you have a WINMODEM it will not work.

So I guess I am back to where I started. Can anyone help?

------------------------------

From: "Tim Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom not a valid block device???
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:27:18 GMT

My cdrom worked perfectly with lm6 but after installing lm7 when I try to
mount the cdrom I get the error message cdrom is not a valid block device.
Can anyone help me?  I tried supermount on the install but it didn't work so
I reinstalled without it.
Please keep in mind that I am a newbie!

------------------------------

From: "Casper Helenius" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Minolta PagePro 6L printer
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:14:52 GMT

Hi y'all,

Anyone gotten a Minolta PagePro 6L working correctly under RedHat 6.2 or
similar?

Using kernel ver. 2.2.14 (as shipped with RH62).

Please let me know.. :-)

Best regards,

Casper Helenius,
Denmark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Thoughts on this configuration?
Date: 26 Jun 2000 09:48:37 -0400

Andreas Hödl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't know much about dual-cpu-systems, but I can only recommend: -)
> the Adaptec 29160LVD/SCSI controller card (you can use UW-discs with
> it too) - up to 160MB/s transfer rate

Well, up to 133M/s - that's the most the PCI bus can handle.  But that's
fine, because no drive can sustain speeds even close to that.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Narbey Derbekyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: can't play audio CD's but works otherwise
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:05:55 GMT

        Greetings:

        I'm having some dificulties playing audio CDs from my new
cdrom. My system is a redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.16. Basically I can
mount and read CDroms but I can't seem to be able to play CDs.

        I recently upgraded my 4x scsi2 cdrom with a much faster one,
NEC DC-3010. The system boots up just fine, I can mount the cdrom and
read iso fs, no problems. But when I try to play my CDs with various
CD player software, I only hear a half second of sound and then
nothing. The track slider on XMMS is jumping back an forth in place as
if the cdrom is skipping. I did not have any such issues with the
older cdrom. Ditto for kernel 2.2.14, same problem. All the CD players
can read the number of tracks and correctly lookup the CD in CDDB.

        They're both scsi and have the same 50 pin connector. The only
difference I can tell is that the new cdrom is ultra-scsi, but my card
supports it and I can mount and read from CDs.

        If anyone has any insights as to what's up with this, please
let me know.

        really wierd.

        narbey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.pc.hardware
Date: 26 Jun 2000 10:16:36 -0400

Others hae already spoken, so I'll try not to repeat their opinions....

no-one@all (no one) writes:

> Tyan SMP P3 Tiger 133 S1834 motherboard                       160

I like Tyan motherboards.  They're not usually the top performers, but
they are solid and stable.  Which, IMO, is more important.  I'm not
familiar with this specific board, however.

You may also want to consider a board with built-in Ethernet and SCSI.
Compare the difference in price with the $205 you're planning on
spending for the SCSI card and network card.  A board with dual-channel
Ultra2 SCSI may be less expensive than your existing board plus the SCSI
board.

> ATX 6 drive bay case with 250W power supply                    30

For what you're doing (dual processors, two hard drives, lots of RAM),
I'd go for a full-tower case (9-10 drive bays), and at least 300W for
the power supply.

Also, add some extra fans - most cases only have the one fan in the
power supply.  An extra one at the back of the case (below the power
supply) and at the front (near the bottom) will greatly improve
airflow.  With a configuration you're describing, the system will
generate plenty of heat - you'll want to draw that heat away as quickly
as possible.  (When installing the extra fans, be sure to pay attention
to how the air is flowing - if you install a fan facing the wrong way,
it will impede airflow and cause overheating.)

> PS2 keyboard with tactile response                             30
> PS2 3 button mouse                                             10

OK.  Keyboards and mice are personal things.  If you know what you want,
go for it.  If you're not sure, go to a store with them on display and
try them out.  Some feel better than others.

> 2 each 256MB 72 bit PC/100 SDRAM                              600

512M RAM is probably overkill, but I don't know what you want to do with
the box.  If you're running a high-RAM application (like a database
server, or compiling lare amounts of code, or photo-editing, etc.),
you'll need it.  If you just plan on web surfing and playing MP3 files,
this is much more than you need.

> 2 each 600mhz P3 processors (slot 1 type SECC2)               440

Very nice.  Be sure to keep them cool.  Apply thermal grease between the
CPU and the heat-sink.  Unless you absolutely know that your system's
airflow is sufficient to cool the chips, be sure to use a heat-sink with
a fan in it.  Passive heat sinks only work well if your case fans can
move enough cool air across them.

> 2 each Maxtor EIDE 18GB fixed disk                            220
> IDE cd-rom reader/burner                                      200
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card                                      175

Get SCSI hard drives and a SCSI CD-RW drive.  They'll cost a little
more, but the extra performance is well worth it.  (If you don't want
SCSI drives, then ditch the SCSI card.)

Note that mother motherboards only include two IDE channels.  And only
one drive on each channel can be in-use at any given time.  Since you
are planning on three drives, one of the channels will have two drives
on it.  This will hurt performance for any application that accesses
those two drives at once.

for the SCSI card, don't use Ultra-Wide.  Spend a little more and get an
Ultra2 controller.  The extra speed (80M/s vs 40M/s) will come in handy
since you're attaching two hard drives - and may be accessing them both
at once.  Furthermore, Ultra2 (LVD) drives allow for much longer cables
(up to 12m) than Ultra-Wide (which only allows 1.5m).  The longer cables
will allow you to use more drives.

When you get the CD-RW, look for one that is also LVD (Ultra2 or Ultra3)
SCSI.  If you mix LVD and non-LVD drives on a single bus, the bus will
run in non-LVD mode and you'll be stuck the the slower speeds and
shorter cables of Ultra-Wide SCSI.

Alternatively, two SCSI channels (either two cards or a single
dual-channel card) will help solve this problem.  Put your LVD drives
(like hard drives) on one channel, and your non-LVD drives on the
other.

> 2X AGP graphics card (S3 chipset with 8MB)                    300

What S3 board?  S3 makes a lot of chipsets.  I think you're estimating
too much money here.  $300 can get you a board that is a lot nicer than
an older S3 chipset and a 8M.  Check out some of the boards based on the
ATI Mach-64 and Mach-128 chipsets.  Also the nVidia Riva-TNT2, and the
Matrox GeForce chipsets are nice.

Visit http://www.xfree86.org/ and browse around there to learn what
chipsets are compatible with X on Linux.  Be sure you install the latest
version of XFree86 (3.3.6 or 4.0).  Most current Linux distributions
should be including 3.3.6 by now.

> 20 inch Vision Master 1600x1200 monitor                    1000

I don't know the specs here.  In general, aperature-grill tubes look
sharper and brighter than shadow-mask tubes.  Smaller dot-pitch looks
better.  Higher refresh rates at your preferred resolution will flicker
less.

> 100mb PCI network card                                         30

Just make sure it's Linux compatible.  Check the list of drivers that
comes with your distribution if you're not sure.

You didn't mention a tape drive.  Look for a SCSI drive.  You are going
to want to make backups of your two 18G hard drives.  (Unless you have
another computer with a tape drive somewhere on your network that you
can use for your backups.

> I'm wondering whether I can gather the needed parts within the price
> range I've listed and I need to make sure that the parts I've listed
> are all compatible.  Is there anything important that I've forgotten
> to list?

The parts should be compatible.

For pricing, you will find that prices can vary widely.  If you're not
picky about who you order from, check out PriceWatch
(http://www.pricewatch.com).  They list items from many dealers so you
can comparison shop.

Local dealers can either give your great buys, or they can rip you off.
If you know what you're buying, you can do well with them.  Computer
flea markets ("shows") are also good sources - you usually find a lot of
local vendors in one place at these kinds of events.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "Graham Staker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 10Gb HD - can't mount vfat filesystem
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:17:12 +0800

Hi there,

I can't mount a FAT32 partition from my second hard drive in Linux.
The command I am using is mount -t vfat /dev/hdc6 /mnt/d.  The error
message is as follows:

   "Wrong fs, bad home block, incorrect mount option or too many mounts."

The first drive, a single partition with Win95, mounts OK as /dev/hda1
with type vfat.

On the second drive I can access the Fat32 partition in Win95 OK as drive D:
and it appears to
be reporting the size correctly.

I am dual booting Red Hat Linux 6.2 and Windows 95 through LILO with the
following
disk layout:

. Windows 95 system & data on Quantum BigFoot CY4320A 4.2Gb IDE drive.
. Linux partitions occupying 1st 2.58 Gb of a Samsung SV1022D 10Gb IDE
drive.
. Extra FAT32 partition occupying remaining 7Gb or so of above disk.

I have tried setting partition ID to 0x0b and to 0x0c (LBA) but neither
configuration works.  Is there some other configuration in fdisk or
mount option  that I should try?

The BIOS reports the primary and secondary disk parameters as:

 4335  527 255 0  8959 63 LBA
10200 1240 255 0 19772 63 LBA

An sfdisk analysis shows:

bash# sfdisk -g
/dev/hda: 527 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
/dev/hdc: 19773 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track

bash# sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 527 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls   #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *      0+    525     526-  4225063+   b  Win95 FAT32

Disk /dev/hdc: 19773 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 516096 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls   #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1   *      0+     32      33-    16600+  83  Linux
/dev/hdc2         33     163     131     66024   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdc3        164    4227    4064   2048256   83  Linux
/dev/hdc4       4228   19772   15545   7834680    5  Extended
/dev/hdc5       4228+   5243    1016-   512032+  83  Linux
/dev/hdc6       5244+  19772   14529-  7322584+   b  Win95 FAT32

Sorry about the length of the message but hopefully this is sufficient info
for
a guru to point me in the right direction.

- Graham

------------------------------

From: Jonas Folkesson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: LASAT WebSetGo 56000 and Linux
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:24:21 -0400

Does LASAT WebSetGo 56000 modem work with Linux?
Has anyone tried it?
It is an external modem connected to the serial RS232 port.
Does every external modem work with Linux?

/Jonas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cable TV Montgomery Expressnet problems
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:21:19 GMT

I live in Montgomery County and have been unsuccessful in getting it to
work.  I got one hint from the LDP
(http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Cable-Modem/index.html) but,
that didn’t work.  I followed all the instructions about PAP, adding
routes (except when I execute route add –net 10.0.0.0 I get a SICOATTR
error), etc.  I have logged all I can and the most I can figure is that
after my username and password is entered (and pppd reports and serial
connection established) Ex-pressnet comes with “Backup Authentication”
at which point pppd reports “alarm” and sends two “^M” and a modem hang
up occurs.  I know this has to do with PAP however, I don’t know how Ex-
pressnet expects the PAP stuff or if a second Authentication is
occurring because after “Backup authentication”  Ex-pressnet gives that
gibberish (~&^$%&) that you get just before making a proper PPP
connection, except it just hangs up. Please, is there any help you can
offer me?
I am running RedHat 6.1 on a Pentium 100mhz with a Tulip based Ethernet
card, and a ZOOM ISA PNP modem (fully functional on non cable modem PPP
connections).  Hey I just want my cable modem up so I can use my linux
box as a firewall like I did when I used Earthlink.  Having a win98
machine be my front gate just makes me uncomfortable.

Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:03:50 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: APC Powerchute not working

Maybe this can help; have a look at the thread:

http://smash.gatech.edu/archives/ale/current/0171.html

BTW, I have a Smart-UPS 650 using RH 6.2 and the apcupsd daemon.
Works great (with cable 940-0024c).

Bill Gee wrote:

> I installed APC PowerChute on my server.  When I run Config.sh, it
> eventually tells me the serial port must be set for modem control.  I
> run the stty command like this:
>
> stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -clocal
>
> Then run "stty -a -F /dev/ttyS0" and it reports -clocal.  Running
> Config.sh gives the same error and the port reverts to +clocal again.
>
> The system is RH6.2 and the UPS is a Back-UPS 650 (simple signalling).
> It's a server, so there is no X system - I have to configure by hand or
> shell scripts.  When I had NT on this same hardware, the UPS worked like
> a champ.
>
> Clues?
Dr Loris Renggli,   BSP,   Universite de Lausanne,   CH-1015 Lausanne
IT manager      e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: +41-21-692 3603                             fax: +41-21-692 3605

------------------------------

From: Avijit Purkayastha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Laptop modem not found!!
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:14:37 -0500

Hi,

Programs like rp3 and kppp are unable to locate my pcmcia modem card. I
get messages like
`Sorry, modem not responding', even though the modem is physically
there. This is w/RH6.1.
It did work with a previous version -- RH5.1.  Any laptop users seen
this before? My pcmcia
ether card is configured correctly however.

My own guess as to reason to this problem is IRQ conflict. Typically the
BIOS setting for
ttyS0 is 4. However since that is the same IRQ for ttyS1, the OS resets
it at boot time to another
available one -- in my case-- to IRQ 11. The `setserial' command gives
me the new IRQ, not
the original BIOS setting. There is no way to check which IRQ programs
like rp3 and kppp are
seeing, so I am not sure if this conflict is what is getting in the way
of finding the modem.

Any suggestions towards thie original problem or towards the IRQ
conflict which may or may
not be causing this problem is appreciated.
Thanks
    -- Avi

------------------------------

From: "Douglas W. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Slim cases for rack-mounted solution
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:20:43 GMT

I work for a company called Arista.  We custom build
rackmount servers, including a few deigns of 1U.
Your needs can probaly be met as long as you are not
looking for a slot1 processor, but be warned:  rackmount
servers are in an entirely different price range. While you
can find an ATX chassis includingp/s for under $100, a
rackmount is considerably more. Call me if interested in talking.
My number is 510-226-1800x101.

BTW, I  am curious about Cobalt - I have heard that their
prices are high and their architecture is proprietary -
they make a nice-looking system though.

The website is aristaipc.com

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:37:42 +0200
From: Floris Martens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: stuck on TLB IPI wait (CPU#0)

Hi all,

Is there somebody who knows the meaning of the following error:
stuck on TLB IPI wait (CPU#0)
This happened on a abit bp6 dual cel 466 & 3c905 100mbit ethernet.
It seemed first to me all processes on de CPU#0 were killed, but I'm not
sure, I was still able to login at the console, but network failed.
I rebooted the machine because I needed it.

Floris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: ,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: LASAT WebSetGo 56000 and Linux
Date: 26 Jun 2000 11:43:01 EDT

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:24:21 -0400, Jonas Folkesson
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Does LASAT WebSetGo 56000 modem work with Linux?
>Has anyone tried it?
>It is an external modem connected to the serial RS232 port.
>Does every external modem work with Linux?

There have been a few reports of external LoseModems, but those are few
and far between.  If the box/manual says that the thing works with DOS,
it'll work with Linux.  The modem init string is usually "ATZ" to start
(reset modem to default factory parameters) and if you don't get good
performance, you can tweak it using the modem manual as a reference.  kppp
or GNOME's ppp-dialer are relatively decent at setting up modems; try
those if you have them and post again if you have problems....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: "Richard Clafton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:51:35 +0100

"Douglas W. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:fxK55.4830$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I work for a company called Arista.  We custom build
> rackmount servers, including a few deigns of 1U.
> Your needs can probaly be met as long as you are not
> looking for a slot1 processor, but be warned:  rackmount
> servers are in an entirely different price range. While you
> can find an ATX chassis includingp/s for under $100, a
> rackmount is considerably more. Call me if interested in talking.
> My number is 510-226-1800x101.
>
> BTW, I  am curious about Cobalt - I have heard that their
> prices are high and their architecture is proprietary -
> they make a nice-looking system though.
>
> The website is aristaipc.com

Cobalt kit is good if you don't want to configure your own OS and have
flexability to modify it and add new hardware and and use off the shelf
parts if it goes BANG!

But they are overpriced and proprietary, and also very nasty to the small
business.

 www.oseu.co.uk\news.htm

Regards

Richard Clafton
1U Servers and Kits in the UK at www.OSRAQ.com

------------------------------

From: Dima Maziuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q: HD > 1024cyl
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:48:47 -0500

Dances With Crows wrote:

..
> Large and LBA differ mainly in the number of C/H/S translated heads they
> support.  Large poops out at 64 heads (2G), while LBA provides C/H/S
> mappings for up to 255 heads (8G) or possibly more.

Thanx.

> I *think* that you could boot Linux from a floppy, then re-run LILO with
> boot=/dev/hda and then you could boot Linux from the hard drive... that
> may not be what you want though.

Yeah... I was surprised to see DOS hang on boot, mainly...
As for linux, I can live with boot floppy until I get a decent net
connection (the box came with winmodem).

Dima
--
"Whoops.  There goes another one.  Sorry.  But just wait
for Skyscraper 1.1; it'll be 100% collapse-free!"

------------------------------

From: "Chuck Swiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ssh/rsh
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:59:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Thorsten Jungeblut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to tell rsh the time for trying to get the connection,
> until it aborts?

Use the ssh-provided replacement for rsh.

> 2. I want to use encrypted connections using ssh, because rsh
> connections will be disabled soon.
> Is there a way to use ssh in the same way as rsh, where f.e. the
> connections from the nis-master are allowed to all hosts (as root)

If you configure /etc/sshd_config to permit root login, sure.

> 3. Is there a way to pass ssh(2) the right password automatically
> (perhaps already encrypted), so that I don't allow even the nis-master
> to connect as root to the other hosts without a given password???

Yes, although a better way is to propogate root's identity.pub to
authorized_keys for all of the machines (see 'man ssh-keygen' & RSA
authentication).

-Chuck

       Chuck 'Sisyphus' Swiger | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Bad cop!  No Donut.
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....