From: Ian Tester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA support on ALADIN IV/V chipset?
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:56:54 +1100

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Annejan wrote:

> I have this (bad but cheap) PC Chips MoBo M575 with an TX Pro chipset,
> which is an Ali Alladin IV chipset. I believe the Alladin V chipset has
> the same chip for making the connection to the UDMA drives, and as
> Motherboards with this chipset (Asus P-5) are sold quit well, I was
> wondering if there would already be some support for it.

Look here -

        http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

It's got patches for the development kernel, now the 2.2pre kernels.

hope this helps,
bye

8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          \7\  LINUX: because geeks  \7\  Ian Tester
http://www.imroy.ddns.org/   \7\    will find a way     \7\    *8)#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:38:42 GMT

YOU AIN'T NO F****** BODY TO JUDGE LIKE THAT. DON'T EVER LET ME SEE
YOU POST LIKE THAT OR I'LL KICK YOUR MF A** !!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DG)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:39:11 GMT

ANOTHER MENTALLY RETARDED PIGFART !!!

------------------------------

From: "Frederic SAVOIR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: How to check my Intel MP Specification is V1.4 ?
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:38:44 +0100

Hi,

I'm having a motherboard MSI 6120-Dual CPU PII, and I would like to make is
conform to Intel MPS specification v1.4 !

How to check it ? Then how to get a list of Motherboard SMP compatible with
those specs ?

Best regards,

Fred

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Fastenow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1
Date: 5 Jan 1999 23:16:30 GMT

ttyS0 is the physical COM1(Serial port 1)
ttyS1 is the physical COM2.  If the camera does not work on COM2 (ttyS1),
you may need to consider purchasing a camera that will work.  Unfortunately,
most internal modems are configured to use COM2.  When you say that you used
an adaptor to convert ttyS0 to ttyS1, do you just mean the pin
configuration?  (25 pin?)  If so, then it is still the original physical
serial port, with a different pin arrangement.  So, if you wanted, you could
have 1 9-pin on COM1 for your mouse, and 1 25-to-9 pin adaptor on COM2 for
the camera.  If you have any questions, please email me as well as post to
this group.

Good luck!
-Aaron Fastenow

<76ru9t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Vlb bus and L2 cache
Date: 6 Jan 1999 00:44:33 GMT

I have a 486dx2/66 vlb box with 32mb ram, vesa video and vesa i/o+ide
controllers, isa 10b-T and I would like to be able to enable L2 on it.

I got the thing for 50$ and aside from L2 everything works great. I know
the person I got it from so I know he was not aware of it being damaged.

Are there any issues with L2 + vlb? I already tried using conservative mem-
timings but only disabling the L2 would make the system boot.

TIA

Saahbs

------------------------------

From: Richard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN dial out problems
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:45:05 +1100

I'm trying to set up my Linux box to dial the Telstra OnRamp2 service in
Australia which is the same as the Euopean ISDN service.

My Eicon Diva card seems to be detected and 2 channels are added etc.
But when I try and dial out the ttyi0 as modem emulation using minicom,
I get NO CARRIER errors.

I think its a setup problem still.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Richard

------------------------------

From: Guenther Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: samba mount problem
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:43:24 GMT

Be sure to habe the sbm file system support compiled into the kernel or
loaded via module. I had strange behaviours, too, until I compiled the
kernel new. Thought that smb support is in the SuSE kernels.

--
Günther Wieser
creative-it/Günther Wieser Software KEG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Install problem - Redhat Linux on Maxtor HD
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:52:59 GMT

I am trying to install Redhat Linux 5.2 for the first time on my box. I have
two  Maxtor HD.  One is 1.6GB and the second is 7.0GB EIDE.  Due to the
limitation in the BIOS.  I am able to use only 2GB of the 7.0GB. When, I
tried to install Redhat Linux, the machine hangs after this following
section:

hdb: hdb: dma_intr: Status =0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hdb: dma_intr error=0x04 { DriveStatus Error }

It goes through fine for the 1.6GB (hda)
Model of 7.0GB : Maxtor EIDE 90720D5 (Ultra DMA Mode 2)

Any suggestions?

Regards
Magesh.

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:58:47 +0100
From: Mario Wehbrink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Keyboard problems with X

Hi there

after installing SuSe 5.3 on an older 486er i have problems to acces the
characters: { [ ] } \ @ ~ |

It seems that the AltGr - key does not work properly (german keyboard
layout). When not running X (text modus) at least { [ ] } \ ~ | are
accepted, but nut @.

I've already tried various keyboard layouts and so on, but nothing
seemed to work, but i'm not an expert in configuring all the files in
/etc and using xmodmap.

Thanks
Mario

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
biz.comp.hardware,biz.marketplace,biz.comp.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: http://www.sellcom.com UPDATED
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 07:35:26 GMT

http://www.sellcom.com has been updated with networking products
and even a new 2.4ghz phone system.

Support page with many Cyclades drivers for various operating systems
provided as a public service.

Many great deals!

Steve

--
http://www.sellcom.com
Telecommunications and internet networking hardware

------------------------------

From: George Elkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Red Hat 5.2 not recognizing 2nd SCSI adapter
Date: Tue,  5 Jan 1999 21:07:48 EST

I thought installation of Red Hat 5.2 was able to automatically scan and
find a second SCSI adapter?  It didn't find my Adaptec card (which came
with a recently installed internal SCSI Zip drive).  The installation
only detected my Buslogic SCSI adapter, to which I have everything else
connected.  How do I get the Adaptec card (which shows up as Adaptec
AHA-152X/AHA-1510 in NT 4) recognized and get the Zip drive working?
I'd hate to be forced to work primarily in Windows NT.

------------------------------

From: Andre Bossard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Accel videocard
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:02:45 +0000

> (if possible) in SVGAlib programs (and maybe SVGATextMode). The videocard
> should be about 4+ MB.  What do you suggest? PCI or AGP?
Hyo Kamil
A excellent Card is one with the RivaTNT. I've got the new Elsa ErazorII
16MB-SGRam AGB and it works very well (SuSE 6)

------------------------------

From: Andre Bossard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xserver Banshee
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:11:18 +0000

> Is there a 3dFX Banshee Xserver out there yet.....
Hyo waco
There is one!
Information about 3DFX and Linux:
http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/
The X-Server and more Infos at:
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/
Good Luck

------------------------------

From: Maximilien Oursel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi,linux.scsi
Subject: SCSI Timeout?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:18:17 +0100

Hi,
I have the following error message:
SCSI: aborting command due to timeout pid 5163, scsi 0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Read (10) 00 00 83 f8 a0 00 00 02 00
then
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 5163) time out resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for boot 0 channel 0

The hardware I have is:
        Adaptec AHA-2940 UW
        HD 2.2 Go
        HD 4.3 Go
        CD-ROM
        CD-Write
        Jaz 1 GO

I disconnected the two CDs and the Jaz and I still had the problem!

Here is my boot log (or part of it):

Memory: sized by int13 0e801h
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000f9a20
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xf04e0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0510
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 299.01 BogoMIPS
Memory: 127568k/131072k available (748k kernel code, 384k reserved, 2164k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
Linux IP multicast router 0.07.
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized

Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Tue Oct 13
22:17:11 EDT 1998
Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 33
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xc800-0xc807
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xc808-0xc80f
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 11/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
(scsi0) Please verify driver detected settings are correct.
(scsi0) If not, then please properly set the device termination
(scsi0) in the Adaptec SCSI BIOS by hitting CTRL-A when prompted
(scsi0) during machine bootup.
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 YES)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 419 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.2/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: XP32275W          Rev: LXY4
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: QUANTUM   Model: XP34550W          Rev: LXY4
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
  Vendor: PLEXTOR   Model: CD-ROM PX-32TS    Rev: 1.02
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CDR400t           Rev: 1.0j
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
  Vendor: iomega    Model: jaz 1GB           Rev: J^77
Detected scsi removable disk sdc at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 4445380 [2170 MB] [2.2 GB]
 sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 >
(scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 8890760 [4341 MB] [4.3 GB]
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 < sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 >
(scsi0:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdc : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
sdc : extended sense code = 2
sdc : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
 sdc:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0, absolute sector 0
 unable to read partition table
Trying to unmount old root ... okay
Adding Swap: 32092k swap-space (priority -1)
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 849, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Read (10) 00 00 68 3d a2 00 00 50 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 850, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
Read (10) 00 00 68 3e 02 00 00 08 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 849) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
(scsi0:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.16 detected OK (220)
AWE32-0.4.2c (RAM512k)
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
sysctl: ip forwarding off
Swansea University Computer Society IPX 0.34 for NET3.035
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

I have installed RedHat 5.2 (2.0.36).

What is my problem, what shall I do?
Thank you for helping me.

please also reply by mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:37:57 +0000
From: EveryNameHasAlreadyBeenUsedOnUsenet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: How to check my Intel MP Specification is V1.4 ?

Frederic SAVOIR wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a motherboard MSI 6120-Dual CPU PII, and I would like to make is
> conform to Intel MPS specification v1.4 !
>
> How to check it ? Then how to get a list of Motherboard SMP compatible with
> those specs ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred

ftp://download.intel.com

------------------------------

From: Alex Parfenov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B Problem
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:24:37 -0500

Instead of typing 'ifconfig' type 'ifconfig eth0'
if it complains that device is unknown/invalid/etc. you are in trouble: probably
your driver is not compatible. If the interface exists, it will probably come up
as 'DOWN' - that's why typing 'ifconfig' does not work, 'ifconfig' without
parameters only displays active interfaces.
    So, if the interface exists, go ahead and try to configure your interface
using ifconfig command( look in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 for format and explanations on
what do exactly).
Once you are able to configure interface using ifconfig, then start over and try
to get dhcp to automatically configure it for you.

--
Alex Parfenov
http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~aparfeno