NM>> Took me two days to realize GNOME is not nearly as stable as KDE1 is.
NM>> While mostly, it works, various components (e.g., the help application)
NM>> crash repeatedly and sometimes restarting X seems like the only
NM>> option...

Seems you have bugs in your X installation. Never saw GNOME lock X, and
I don't think it's really should be possible.

Also, IMHO GNOME is much more visually-appealing than KDE, especially with
good themes. KDE still tries to copycat windows look-n-feel, which  might
be good for Windows user, but not good for one that doesn't happen to
think Microsoft everything-is-gray-and-square design is something to
adore. And Helix GNOME has that blue flower - I love it :)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      \/  There shall be counsels taken
Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells