Hebrew has nothing to do with newbies, but in my opinion newbies will prefer
to use hebrew. I dont mean all of you people that are interested in computers,
I talk about regular people who use computers as a tool (document processing
and a like...).

And gnubies-il as much as I know should be newbies-friendly and most people
consider friendly also by using their native language, in our case the holy
language...

What do you think?

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 07:17:17PM +0300, Amir Sela wrote:
> On Friday 17 May 2002 19:50, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> > I don't believe that the Hebrew language is connected to being a
> > newbie or not. I do believe however that it is connected to the
> > size of some individuals ego. I believe nadav mentioned that until
> > recently the technion made them use Hebrew in their thesis. Do you
> > actually clame that these people until recently were all newbies? I
>
> What in the WORLD does that have to do with the fact that newbies
> usually use hebrew ? stop trying to discredit people just for the
> sake of discrediting. All I said is that from my experience, the
> newbies usually like to use hebrew, which is true. the fact the
> technion forces people to use english has no bearing whatsoever on
> what i said.
>
> > think that stating that the use of Hebrew in this mailing list will
> > make you a newbie, is just the stereotypes people have long used to
> > constrain other people to their habits and their reluctance to
> > accept progress.
> Emm With all due respect, I don't think you you even heard my opinion
> regarding hebrew IN LINUX-IL. I for one, wouldn't mind it one bit.
> All I was suggesting saying is that a second mailing list, supporting
> hebrew, will be a solution acceptable to ALL OF US. I really dont
> understand where is this belligerence coming from.
>
> > Whether Hebrew is appropriate from a practical sense like
> > non-Hebrew speaking members, or people not being able to view
> > Hebrew messages (I don't believe writing Hebrew should be mandatory
> > since many words cannot be translated to English), that's for the
> > list community to decide.
> >
> > My standpoint, is that people should be allowed to write both
> > English and Hebrew on the list. But only if all the members will
> > agree to that.
> > It is a Jewish tradition to accept the minority view on these
> > matters, so if there are Iranian or other foreign individuals that
> > would object, I believe we should respect their view in spite of my
> > or the majority sentiment.
> Jewish Traditions ? Huh ? I think you're taking this from the CORRECT
> context of simpleness and portability between the list's users onto
> remote and unneccesary philosophic areas.
> This really isn't complicated. All I said is that a second list
> permitting hebrew might be the simplest solution. Again, I don't see
> why is this complicated, or why does it turn me into a bigot to KNOW
> that new users prefer to ask questions in hebrew.
>
> Amir.

Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government
of himself.  Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?
        -- Thomas Jefferson, in his 1801 inaugural address