On Fri, 17 May 2002, "Nadav Har'El" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If he knew of this thread, Eli'ezer Ben-Yehuda (are you a relative of his? :))
> would be turning in his grave :(

Yes. Because Eli'ezer didn't whine. He went out there and wrote patches.

> I'm hope I'm not wasting my breath here, but all you need in order to read
> Hebrew (besides *knowing* the language, of course, which indeed might be
> a problem) is my bidiv program which can convert any iso8859-8-i, win1255
> or utf8 email into visual iso8859-8 which you could view with less, more,
> nvi, cat, or whatever you're so inclined.

This is stupid. I don't have to install any program to read swedish,
do I? I realize it is harder to patch existing code, but if you want
to push an agenda, you should not insist everybody spend their precious
time to help you push it.

> So reading Hebrew email is easy.

As long as you want to configure your mailer on every system you
use.

> Writing is somewhat harder if you *insist*
> on using an Editor with no Hebrew support, which is somewhat like insisting
> that the C language sucks because "f77" doesn't compile it and f77 is the
> compiler you know and prefer. If you want to write an Hebrew message, use
> vim and not nvi (or write a patch to nvi yourself).

Ah, but I don't want to write a Hebrew message -- you want to have the official
list be Hebrew only, which means I'll have to in order to send mail to
linux-il.

> How difficult is that?

Extremely. My brain is wired for one editor, using anything else
requires concious thought. I prefer to waste my brainpower on the content,
not on fighting with my editor.

> Don't give me the "but I switched!" bull - they are not that different, and
> it wouldn't kill you to use vim once in a blue moon when you want to write
> Hebrew emails.

I DON'T WANT TO WRITE IN HEBREW. Is that hard to understand?

> I occasionally write and read Hebrew emails, and it's not hard.

For you.

> I'd personally prefer to
> continue writing on the English list (but I don't mind reading both).

And read crossposted threads twice? Oh, now, I forget, you'll just hack
your procmail. Well, wooptedoo, some of us have better things to do
then fiddle with our e-mail.

> As a sidenote, one of the best ways to get people to work on Hebrew support
> is to "make" them need to use it, see how inconvenient it is and want to fix
> it.

Oh, this is a great way to push your agenda. Yeah, force people to write
Hebrew support. Force newbies to learn how to install it. I don't think
you understand the point of free software -- you want it, *you* write it.
Not, you want it, you use politics to cause other people to write it.
I've got an idea for you -- crack linux all day. This will *make* those
pesky people do code audits of linux, right?

> This is how/why I worked on my version of the LaTeX 2.09 Hebrew support,
> for example - the Technion forced me to write my MSc thesis in Hebrew (the
> rules have since changed, and people can write in English now).

See? Easier to get the rules changed.

> Anyway, to make myself clear: I'll vote for an additional Hebrew list,
> but for keeping also the existing English list.

Great. "Where do I send my question?" "Both, once in Hebrew, once
in English". Which one will you answer? both? crosspost the answer?