Hi,
Let me quote from a letter from Dirk Ehrenbuettel, debian maintainer of
octave, on the detection and configuration of hardware under debian:

"And, as said in the other thread, Knoppix helps.  These days, I mostly
don't bother trying to figure out new hardware for graphics, sounds, ...
but pop in Knoppix and try to copy the configuration it auto-generates
upon boot.
Worked well when I needed it."

While I can't see how it might help newbies starting on debian, maibe,
till the next instaparty (for this one it is too late anyway) someone
does.

I tried myself a quantian live CD (a version of Knoppix in which open
office and some other programs are replaced by mathematical, statistical
an technical packages) on a couple of computers, including one with a Sis
graphic driver, and I was impressed by its performance.
Cheers, Avraham