I changed the Subject line to emphasize the point which I tried to make.

There were actually three separate issues:
1. Is it on-topic to ask about obfuscating code meant to run under Linux?
2. Is it wise to obfuscate code meant to run under Linux?
3. How to actually obfuscate code meant to run under Linux?

I addressed issue #1.  I believe it is on-topic, even though distasteful
to advocates of Free Software.  This is akin to a discussion of allowed
uses of pig meat by Jews in a Jewish religious mailing list.

Shachar addressed issue #2, and I agree with his analysis.

No one actually addressed issue #3, which was Ilan's original question.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Omer Zak wrote:
>
> >Actually, Ilan has a point here.
> >
> >1. His salesmanship skills could use a small upgrade - by presenting the
> > argument of avoiding MS-Windows in the first place, he'd get more
> > cooperation than flames.
> >
> >2. If Linus allows use of closed code Kernel modules with Linux and they
> > probably are obfuscation champions of the Linux world, then Ilan should
> > be entitled to ask about the subject.
> >
> >3. And, as Ilan said, the Linux-IL mailing list is Linux-IL, not GNU-IL
> >(or GPL-IL), RMS's insistence upon the term GNU/Linux withstanding.
> >

> I think your points are irrelevant. To show you just how much so, I'm
> going to answer Ilan's original question technically.

[... rest of technical answer was snipped,
     as it is not relevant for the current meta-discussion ...]

                                             --- Omer
I may be affiliated in any way.