I have been using this site for a while- I actually tried playing with the user agents a little and it seems that do some more interesting browser snooping to prevent you from tricking them.

I wonder if Ie5 for mac works either.
yonah

Alex Gontmakher wrote:

Hi everybody,

If anybody of you have tried to access the Discountbank.net web site
(for online account access), you would surely notice that it accepts
connections originated from Internet Explorer only. That's quite a
problem for Linux users - it wouldn't even try to communicate with
Mozilla ;-(.

I have tried to contact the bank technical support on this issue, and
got a response stating that "Since the Internet Explorer is the mostly
used browser, we don't support any others. In the future the bank will
discuss working with additional browsers".

Have any of you tried to access that site, or would you like to do it?
It's very convenient, and it's a shame to have a Windows installation
around just for this (and yes, yes, I know about Wine... not working
very well for me unfortunately).

Now this problem is not specific to Discount bank - there are many
others that not only make the minimal effort to communicate with non-IE
browsers, but specifically go forward and make them IE-only. That's no
way to promote Mozilla in particular and Linux in general!!!

What we can do is collect some amount of signatures and contact the bank
again, showing that the interest in the site is not from several people
only. And then, we can probably write to something like "Captain
Internet" of Haaretz for more exposure.

So, if you want to get this site, and probably others, to work with
Mozilla browsers, write me and we'll roll this on!

Alex

P.S. Below is the approximate text that I'd like to send to the
webmasters (probably in Hebrew). Comments welcome.

Dear webmaster of <site name here>!

We have tried to access your site using the Mozilla browser, and got the
response stating that "The site is designed to work with Internet
Explorer only". Unfortunately, we, as Linux users, are unable to use the
Internet Explorer browser.

We feel that this situation is unwarranted. The Mozilla browser supports
the Web standards to a level which is not worse, and at times exceeding,
that of Internet Explorer. In addition, due to the recurring security
problems with Microsoft Windows in general, and Internet Explorer in
particular, Mozilla (and other non-IE browsers as well) is actually
*more secure* to use.

Replying that the majority of users of the site use IE anyway is
incorrect in its nature. Of course non-IE users won't access your site
once they know that it works with IE only. The situation is worsened by
the fact that your site actively disables connections that originate
from Mozilla, thus preventing the Mozilla developers from ever fixing
compatibility problems if such exist.

This situation is unduly discriminating for the Linux and MacOS users,
and it stifles the competition in the operating systems and in WWW
browsers in Israel.

We ask you to support other browsers on your site, or at least stop
actively disabling it.

With respect,
<list of signatures>