On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:23:30PM +0300, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
[snip]
> I still think it's strange that plugging in the USB cable causes the Kpilot
> icon to pop up, so something is, at least partly, set up properly.

Not necessarily. Something is set up to respond to USB hotplug events.
Maybe not properly.

> OK - let me clarify somethig. USB4 and 5 was just an example. Each time I
> try,
> 2 new USB devices get created (and sometimes get deleted after a while). At
> the moment, here's how my system looks (with 12 devices):
[snip]

OK. Let's start from the very beginning.
First, start from a clean known state. Either after a reboot, or try to
rmmod both visor and usb-serial. Make sure you have no /dev/ttyUSB*.
Then do 'dmesg -c' to clean the kernel's buffer (maybe into some file
if you want to keep it).
Then do the following things. After each of them, do 'dmesg -c' into a
new file. This will let us see what the kernel says at each point.

1. Plug in your cable.
2. Connect the palm to it.
3. Press the hotsync button.
4. Wait until the palm times out.
5. Disconnect the palm from the cable.
6. Unplug the cable.
Now do again all of 1-6 (to see what happens on a second time).

I hope that the first time will only show USB0 and USB1, as it does
for me. Maybe something in kde or kpilot keeps the device(s) open, and
that's why on subsequent tries you get new devices. To try that, do all
of this without KDE or something smart like it (try e.g. fvwm, wmaker
etc. or even a text console if you feel comfortable enough in it).

Now, assuming it does start with USB0 and 1, start again from a clean
state, then, after you press the hotsync button, try pilot-xfer. First
on USB0, then 1.

Tell us what happend.
--
Didi