Oded Arbel wrote:

That's the gist of it - I don't want to do a full upgrade. I want to
update select packages, but keep the basic system.
I wouldn't recommend you doing that, since the Fedora packages don't have a policy of maintaining package dependencies for such cross-distro scenario. If an application which you did update depends on a newer version of a library which you didn't update explicitly, don't expect Yum to update that library automatically. It's not like Fedora have anything against proper version dependencies: it's simply that they don't necessarily bother for the cross-distro scenario.