I am purchasing a new computer and will be setting it up from scratch. Until now I have been using RedHat releases however I have read a lot about newer distributions (i.e Ubuntu etc.) I would like to get recommendations for what would be the best distribution for my needs.

This machine will be an internal server for a SOHO setup. It will provide the following services:

Samba

Apache

PHP

MySQL

Backup storage

NAT + firewall connecting via ADSL to actcom

dosemu

The load on the machine will not be heavy. There will be four or five other machines (mainly Windows) connecting to the Internet via this machine and sharing files via Samba.

In the future I hope to be adding other Linux workstations to the network as well.

The main criteria for me is that the system should "just work" and be easy to maintain. On my current server I am still running RedHat 9. After having overcome the initial setup problems with it I have been able to basically just ignore it and it keeps working.

Thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

--
David Suna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]