Hi,

Do others agree that Lenovo != IBM?

The team that was designing and developing the thinkpad series has
been sold to Lenovo. Lenovo was already manufacturing the Thinkpad for
IBM before Lenovo bought IBM Thinkpad Division.

The 3000 V100 series is their move away from the R series (Value) to
something which doesn't resemble the thinkpad line. You can see that
in term of design it looks totally different from the Thinkpad models.

Lenovo had decided that the 3000 series would be for more private/home
users while the Thinkpad line (T, X) will be for corporate users and
that the corporate models will have the "IBM" logo and the same design
remains. For example, you can look how their X60 looks: just like T30,
X31, T40 etc, only a bit slimmer, plus the damn wiindows keys, they
modified the power connector (no more backward compatibility), but a
simple look from a distant, and you know it's Thinkpad.

In terms of service, nothing has been changed. IBM Israel repairs
their machines, and IBM Service in Israel is WAY WAY better then
anything else is period! I would definatly not recommend going with
HP, as their service simply sucks big time (unless it's their precioud
servers, which is served by a totally different unit).

I'm not a laptops expert but was considering to look at some Lenovo stuff
based on the great Linux support by IBM laptops.

I would recommend (depends on your budget) to go with Thinkpad R50 or
R60 series (or if you can afford youself - the T50 or T60 series or
X60). You can save few thousand shekels with the competitors, but you
WILL pay those shekels back when you'll need to either upgrade or fix
this notebook. Been there over 4 times already.

Thanks,
Hetz
--
Visit my blog (hebrew) for things that (sometimes) matter:
http://wp.dad-answers.com