On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Peter wrote:

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>  On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:38:50AM +0200, Ori Idan wrote:
> >  Yes, but most AT compliant PCI modems today are software only.
> > Someone gave me an Intel modem clone. It sat in junk box until I broke
>  down and installed a UPS, which took over the only serial port I had
>  on that computer.
> > I stuck the modem in, and obviously it did not work. A quick web search
>  pointed to a driver written by someone on this list, hosted in Israel.
> > A quick download, make and install, and it was working. > > Good job!

 Nice story. That's the modem I want :-)

No, you want one that works without a driver. Like USR Sportster internal and such. But an external modem is always better ime.

How many of those passed through my hands and into the junkyard fifteen or so
years ago....I should have hung on to one. It never occurred to me that I'd
ever need to go back to analog modems. My parents are the only ones I know
still on dialup, now that we finally convinced my in-laws to go DSL.

Perhaps I should try wireless and see if anyone in their block has an open AP
:-) (No, I wouldn't really do this)

I will keep my eyes open for the USR Sportster internal. Available in PCI I
hope and not just ISA?

Thanks for the tip,
Michael