On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Peter wrote:

> >>Nice story. That's the modem I want :-)
> >
> > No, you want one that works without a driver. Like USR Sportster internal
> > and
> > such. But an external modem is always better ime.
>
> How many of those passed through my hands and into the junkyard fifteen or so
> years ago....I should have hung on to one. It never occurred to me that I'd
> ever need to go back to analog modems. My parents are the only ones I know
> still on dialup, now that we finally convinced my in-laws to go DSL.
>
> Perhaps I should try wireless and see if anyone in their block has an open AP
> :-) (No, I wouldn't really do this)
>
> I will keep my eyes open for the USR Sportster internal. Available in PCI I
> hope and not just ISA?
>
> Thanks for the tip,
> Michael

when i bought a PC (in 2002), it came with a rockwell-based modem. as far
as i remember, there was no problem using it under a then-current linux
kernel - i.e. the driver was open-sourced and added into the standard
kernel.

assuming no one develops new modems any longer (what for? 3rd-world
countries?), it's likely the same chips are used, and hence - the same
drivers. since the rockwell chips were very common - many winmodems are
supported under linux. i think that a simple 'lspci' will tell you what
chip your modem is based on.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,