On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I will keep my eyes open for the USR Sportster internal. Available in PCI I
hope and not just ISA?

PCI internal, and needs no funny setup programs (setserial is enough). There are also other good brands, using chipsets from Rockwell and Lucent. But if you are on a budget, go to a local computer shop and ask around for an external modem. They will likely have one. Be sure to check it (make them let you return it if it does not work).

Also make sure your parents undestand that it will be both slow and occupy the phone line. Nowadays a standard Askey USB modem will do DSL nicely without many wires. The price of low end DSL in this country is really low, something like NIS 90 total per month (maximum) will get you DSL+ISP. If you buy a modem now figure at least NIS 20/month added to dialup internet cost for the following few months. Is it worth it ?

Peter