guy keren wrote:
>> A dual license means you can choose which license you want to use the
>> product under. If you choose GPL, it's GPL all the way, you can
>> redistribute it with source in any way you want along with any product
>> you want, propriatery or open. dynamicly linking with GPL libraries is
>> also fine, only static linking isn't.
>
> you're mixing GPL with LPG.
Well, him, you and the entire rest of the world. The distinction between
the two isn't as clear cut as the FSF would have you believe.
> you can not link with GPL-ed libraries if your code's license is not
> compatible with the GPL.
This statement is false. Allow me to give you an example.

Reactos is a reimplementation of Windows, from scratch. It uses Wine for
its user-mode area, but, unlike Wine, which is LGPL, ReactOS is GPL.

If what you are saying is true, it is not legal to run any Windows
applications on ReactOS, unless the Windows application is GPL itself.
Take a moment to think whether this assessment makes sense to you.
> you can link with LGPL libraries dynamically. actually, you may also
> link with them statically, provided that you give the user your object
> files too, and a means to re-build the application using a different
> version of the library.
But you cannot link with GPL libraries statically without making your
code GPL too. You can link dynamically, no matter what your license is,
PROVIDED YOU ARE NOT DERIVED WORK OF THE LIBRARIES! That is the answer
to the ReactOS puzzle above. A program written for Windows and compiled
for Windows' DLLs is not a derived work of ReactOS, and therefor does
not violate the ReactOS GPL license over the DLLs it links with.

Of course, it is an open question whether interfacing with the MySQL
runtime libraries constitutes being derived work. MySQL AB seem to claim
it is, but I don't see any support for that claim beyond "that's what
makes us profit".

I feel bad for pointing you to my own text on the matter, but do read
the license for rsyncrypto
(http://rsyncrypto.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rsyncrypto/trunk/COPYING?revision=174&view=markup)
for an indication that the FSF's own interpretation implies that this
is, indeed, the case.
> --guy
Shachar

--