Alex Dover wrote:
> If you read the MySQL licensing carefully, you'll see that the dual
> licensing of MySQL is not valid if you distribute it with commercial
> applications, even if you don't touch the original code.Look at this
> page:
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/index.html
> Commercial distributions are not allowed to use the GPL licensing for
> MySQL as far as I can tell.

Read it more carefully. In particular, read the actual license involved.

Even if MySQL AB do not license the program under the GPL to commercial
entities, the GPL is a transferable license. This means that MySQL AB
are not the only ones able to give a GPL license for MySQL - anyone can.
In other words, I can give your company a GPL license over MySQL.

As long as MySQL AB didn't change the text of the GPL to include an
exclusion of relicensing to commercial entities, the text of the link
you pointed to is meaningless.

As a side note I'll mention that the relicensability of the GPL is not
unique to it. All free software licenses are relicensable by any third
party, as part of their requirement for freedom. In other words, if
MySQL AB did put an exception on their GPL to forbid this, this would
have the immediate effect of making MySQL non-free.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.