Over the last few years I spent very little on hardware, so now I took a
big jump and upgraded my lowly P3 old Linux server into something more
like a propper workstation. an intel E6600 processor with Core2 Duo and
2 gig ram. the questions are:

a. do I gain anything at all by reinstalling my system as a 64 bit one?
to the best of my knowledge there will be no change in speed, I don't
have over 4 gigs of RAM and certainly no intention of running processes
of more than a few hundred megs in size.

b. I just noticed it has the much talked-about VT extensions, would it
be easy for me then to keep the system as a router/firewall and a
desktop and securely also install a second "slave" VM to run other OSs,
or do I need a lean Xen "base/visor" and the desktop should not run on
it? Is this worth the headache or should I look into VirtualBox or
VMWarePlayer instead? I remember there were some shortcuts in network
security wehn Xen is activated, so maybe it's safer not to use it if the
machine is meant to be a firewall as well.

those are the two main things at the moment I guess :-)

--
Curse of the bambino
Ira Abramov