On 4/1/07, Ira Abramov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

b. I just noticed it has the much talked-about VT extensions, would it
be easy for me then to keep the system as a router/firewall and a
desktop and securely also install a second "slave" VM to run other OSs,
or do I need a lean Xen "base/visor" and the desktop should not run on
it? Is this worth the headache or should I look into VirtualBox or
VMWarePlayer instead? I remember there were some shortcuts in network
security wehn Xen is activated, so maybe it's safer not to use it if the
machine is meant to be a firewall as well.

The VT extension is useful if you plan to run Windows as one of the
guest OSs under XEN.
VMware Server is suppose to benefit from it, I did not have the
hardware to test it.

If you plan to use VMware, you will need a base OS, vmware and guest
OS. Keep the base OS as minimal as possible. You can install X and use
the VMware console locally, or use VNC/RDP/X over the network. I would
recommend the latter.

XEN (if used from xensource) will install as the base OS. It does have
a graphics console, but I have not had the change to play with it.

If using the system as router/firewall, use separate physical NICs to
segregate the networks.

those are the two main things at the moment I guess :-)

--
Curse of the bambino
Ira Abramov

Gil Freund, Systems Analyst