afaik the 64 bit version is faster, however there are many programs which
are not fully supported under 64 bit
for example flash player, some codecs (windows codecs ?)
the solution is usually a hack to install firefox, mplayer and codecs in
their 32 bit version

i say a hack because it doesn't come out of the box, and it needs more then
installing a .deb or .rpm
usually a half-baked sh script ...

erez.