Herouth Maoz wrote:

Sorry Maoz, but I don't have a good advice, but I can give you some
pointers where to start your own research.

http://www.job4me.net/ - a google lookalike web site which searches
every Hi-tech company for their job offers.

http://free-electrons.com/ - excellent web site which offers free
training material mainly for embedded system.

http://free-electrons.com/community/kernel/ - a good resource to learn
about linux kernel/drivers development.

http://janitor.kernelnewbies.org/ - A good place for kernel newbies.

Also some PHP open source projects:

http://gallery.menalto.com/

http://www.freepbx.org/

and of course a lot more

I hope it will give you a better view of your options.

> Hello, fellow Linuxers. I'd like your advice regarding a job change.
>
> My company has been acquired. There is a chance that my boss won't
> stay around, and if so, I'm not going to stay around, either - because
> the chances are that the business will become
> yet-another-dotnet-based-web-portal.
>
> I'm basically a PHP programmer, though in the past two years I've been
> doing more integration work and problem solving than any web
> development (being the only one except our sysadmin who is not afraid
> of shell scripts). Now, this merger gives me a unique opportunity -
> I've been in my current company for 6 years, so I'm due a lot of
> compensation should I quit (quitting after an acquisition is
> considered being laid off), meaning I can basically keep my standard
> of living for at least 6 months without actually working.
>
> I can use these 6 months to develop my skills in some other area of
> programming, and maybe even get some experience by participating in an
> open source project of some kind. What I'd like your advice on is -
> what directions are popular, have high demand, and can accommodate a
> programmer with lots of general experience, but not particular (other
> than the web)? Preferably ones that don't enslave people (no golden
> cages for the chance of becoming a millionaire).
>
> Needless to say, I'm talking about Linux-oriented (or at least Unix)
> jobs here, I'm not looking to change to .Net, I don't even have a
> Windows box available at home.
>
> My CV in a nutshell: B.Sc. from 1989, military service doing
> application programming in environments that no longer exist, until
> 1994, then some tech support until 1996-7, and since then I've done
> web programming, at first in Java, then in PHP, though I did a
> refresher course in Java recently (but never got around to writing
> anything in it).
>
> Any advice will be appreciated. Sneers and jeers will not. :)
>
> Herouth

Ravid Baruch Naali
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+972 4 6732729