On 8/31/07, Herouth Maoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello, fellow Linuxers. I'd like your advice regarding a job change.
>
> My company has been acquired. There is a chance that my boss won't
> stay around, and if so, I'm not going to stay around, either -
> because the chances are that the business will become yet-another-
> dotnet-based-web-portal.
>
> I'm basically a PHP programmer, though in the past two years I've
> been doing more integration work and problem solving than any web
> development (being the only one except our sysadmin who is not afraid
> of shell scripts). Now, this merger gives me a unique opportunity -
> I've been in my current company for 6 years, so I'm due a lot of
> compensation should I quit (quitting after an acquisition is
> considered being laid off), meaning I can basically keep my standard
> of living for at least 6 months without actually working.
>
> I can use these 6 months to develop my skills in some other area of
> programming, and maybe even get some experience by participating in
> an open source project of some kind. What I'd like your advice on is
> - what directions are popular, have high demand, and can accommodate
> a programmer with lots of general experience, but not particular
> (other than the web)? Preferably ones that don't enslave people (no
> golden cages for the chance of becoming a millionaire).
>
> Needless to say, I'm talking about Linux-oriented (or at least Unix)
> jobs here, I'm not looking to change to .Net, I don't even have a
> Windows box available at home.
>
> My CV in a nutshell: B.Sc. from 1989, military service doing
> application programming in environments that no longer exist, until
> 1994, then some tech support until 1996-7, and since then I've done
> web programming, at first in Java, then in PHP, though I did a
> refresher course in Java recently (but never got around to writing
> anything in it).
>
> Any advice will be appreciated. Sneers and jeers will not. :)
>
> Herouth

I recently had a talk with fellow colleges, I been told a story about
company X that was looking for php software house under the following
conditions:

1. They have more then 4 employees.
2. There in business for over 1 year.
3. They have a large php project to back their work.

It seems that there were not even one decent company in Israel that
would fall under these conditions. This was ~2 years ago. So they
turned to .Net.

I don't mean to be all too rude but: What about starting your own
company? You definitely have the necessary experience, skill,
motivation and with proper guidance/managements you could fill in a
blank that is clearly missing here in the local market. I could even
suggest this organization would be a hybrid of Django (which is
getting hotter by the minute!) and php ajax software house. Do it in
the open source way (i.e. keep using fresh FOSS technology, contribute
back) and there's surly a bright future ahead.

Maxim.

Cheers,
Maxim Veksler

"Free as in Freedom" - Do u GNU ?