Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

IMHO this is the kind of thing that the Chief Scientist's Office would
fund.
Hmm.

The Chief Scientist has two limitations that will be hard to overcome in that respect: 1. An over-stretched budget. It is, by far, not enough to live up to their criteria in order to get funding
2. A request that technologies developed stay in Israel.

2 is a problem for FOSS. While I have heard of companies that managed to convince the CS to fund a project where some of the work went into FOSS (and, in fact, Wine), it was as part of a larger project that was proprietary. I have not heard of the CS funding a purely FOSS project.

In fact, I'm not even sure how the application should be made. The CS requires (or, at least, used to require) that they give at most half the funding, with the other half coming from external sources. This means that to get 10K from the CS, you will need to raise 10K from other sources as well. We all know that 10K is hardly enough to achieve much on Wine, and we all also know that getting the community to put in 10K is extremely hard. At the moment, for example, the sum total raised, despite numerous complaints about the matter, totals in a round zero.

So, no, I don't think the CS is a very likely venue.

Shachar