squid and IP Masq aren't mutually exclusive... the
browser can use the proxy for http, ftp and other
stuff, taking advantage of the cache, and use the
gateway for other protocols, which can't be
implemented in the proxy server. u can also use
ipchains (or ipfilter, in kernel 2.4), to fwd all port
requests to 80 (for HTTP) to the proxy's HTTP port...
effectively making it a "transparent" proxy.

Nikhil.