From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: hostname and finger plan
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:05:03 GMT

How do I change my hostname without rebooting?  Is it even possible?
Right now it's localhost.localdomain and I want it to be my domain
name.  I've used linuxconf with success but I'm telneting right now
and I can't run a gui app ya know?
Also, how do I set the plan for users?  I assume it's a file somewhere
in the ~user directory but I can't figure it out.  Any help is
greatfully welcomed! =)

Thanks,

Chris

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: news.answers,comp.answers
Subject: Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:16:25 GMT

Feedback is invited.")

11.1 fdisk says cannot use nnn sectors of this partition.

Originally Linux only supported the Minix file system, which cannot
use more than 64Mb per partition. This limitation is not present in
the more advanced file systems that are now available, such as ext2fs
(the 2nd version of the Extended File System, the `standard' Linux
file system).

If you intend to use ext2fs you can ignore the message.

11.2 GCC sometimes uses huge amounts of virtual memory and thrashes.

Older versions of GCC had a bug which made them use lots of memory if
you tried to compile a program which had a large static data table in
it.

You can either upgrade your version of GCC, or add more swap space if
necessary, or just wait for the program to finish compiling.

12. How to get further assistance.

12.1 You still haven't answered my question!

Please read all of this answer before posting. I know it's a bit long,
but you may be about to make a fool of yourself in front of 50,000
people and waste hundreds of hours of their time. Don't you think it's
worth spending some of your time to read and follow these
instructions?

If you think an answer is incomplete or inaccurate, please e-mail
Robert Kiesling at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Read the appropriate Linux Documentation Project books--see "
Where can I get the HOWTO's and other documentation?"

If you're a Unix or Linux newbie, read the FAQ for
comp.unix.questions, and those for any of the other comp.unix.* groups
that may be relevant.

Linux has so much in common with commercial unices, that almost
everything you read there will apply to Linux. The FAQs, like all
FAQs, be found on rtfm.mit.edu in /pub/usenet/news.answers (the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] can send you these files, if you don't
have FTP access). There are mirrors of rtfm's FAQ archives on various
sites--check the Introduction to *.answers posting, posted, or look in
news-answers/introduction in the directory above.

Check the relevant HOWTO for the subject in question, if there is one,
or an appropriate old style sub-FAQ document. Check the FTP sites.

Try experimenting--that's the best way to get to know Unix and Linux.

Read the documentation. Check the manual pages (type "man man" if
you don't know about manual pages. Try "man -k subject"--it often
lists useful and relevant manual pages.

Check the Info documentation (type C-h i, i.e. Control H followed by I
in Emacs). This isn't just for Emacs. For example, the GCC
documentation lives here as well.

There will also often be a README file with a package that gives
installation and/or usage instructions.

Make sure you don't have a corrupted or out-of-date copy of the
program in question. If possible, download it again and re-install
it--you probably made a mistake the first time.

Read comp.os.linux.announce--this often contains very important
information for all Linux users.

General X Window System questions belong in comp.windows.x.i386unix,
not in comp.os.linux.x. But read the group first (including the FAQ),
before you post.

Only if you have done all of these things and are still stuck, should
you post to the appropriate comp.os.linux.* newsgroup. Make sure you
read the next question first. "( What to put in a request for
help.)"

12.2 What to put in a request for help.

Please read the following advice carefully about how to write your
posting or email. Making a complete posting will greatly increase the
chances that an expert or fellow user reading it will have enough
information and motivation to reply.

This advice applies both to postings asking for advice and to personal
email sent to experts and fellow users.

Make sure you give full details of the problem, including:
  * What program, exactly, you are having problems with. Include the
    version number if known and say where you got it. Many standard
    commands tell you their version number if you give them a
    --version option.
  * Which Linux release you're using (Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, or
    whatever) and what version of that release.
  * The exact and complete text of any error messages printed.
  * Exactly what behavior you expected, and exactly what behavior you
    observed. A transcript of an example session is a good way to show
    this.
  * The contents of any configuration files used by the program in
    question and any related programs.
  * What version of the kernel and shared libraries you have
    installed. The kernel version can be found by typing uname -a, and
    the shared library version by typing ls -l /lib/libc.so.4.
  * Details of what hardware you're running on, if it seems
    appropriate.

You are in little danger of making your posting too long unless you
include large chunks of source code or uuencoded files, so err on the
side of giving too much information.

Use a clear, detailed Subject line. Don't put things like `doesn't
work', `Linux', `help', or `question' in it--we already know that.
Save the space for the name of the program, a fragment of an error
message, or summary of the unusual behavior.

If you report an `unable to handle kernel paging request' message,
follow the instructions in the Linux kernel sources README file for
turning the numbers into something more meaningful. If you don't do
this, no one who reads your post will be able to do it for you. The
mapping from numbers to function names varies from one kernel to
another.

Put a summary paragraph at the top of your posting.

At the bottom of your posting, ask for responses by email and say
you'll post a summary. Back this up by using Followup-To: poster.
Then, actually post the summary in a few days or a week or so. Don't
just concatenate the replies you got--summarize. Putting the word
SUMMARY in your summary's Subject line is also a good idea. Consider
submitting the summary to comp.os.linux.announce.

Make sure your posting doesn't have an inappropriate References:
header line. This marks your article as part of the thread of the
article referred to, which will often cause it to be junked by
readers, along with the rest of a boring thread.

You might like to say in your posting that you've read this FAQ and
the appropriate HOWTO's--this may make people less likely to skip your
posting.

Remember that you should not post email sent to you personally without
the sender's permission.

12.3 I want to mail someone about my problem.

Try to find the author or developer of whatever program or component
is causing you difficulty. If you have a contact point for your Linux
distribution, you should use it.

Please put everything in your e-mail message that you would put in a
posting asking for help.

Finally, remember that, despite the fact that most of the Linux
community are very helpful and responsive to e-mailed questions,
you're asking for help from unpaid volunteers, so you have no right to
expect an answer.

13. Administrative information and acknowledgments.

13.1 Feedback is invited.

Please send me your comments on this FAQ.

I accept contributions to the FAQ in any format. All contributions,
comments, and corrections are gratefully received. Please send e-mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you wish to refer to a question in the FAQ, it's better for me if
you do so by the question heading, rather than number. The question
numbers are generated automatically, and I don't see them in the
source file I edit.

I prefer comments in English to patch files--context diff is not my
first language.

13.2 Formats in which this FAQ is available.

This document is available as an ASCII text file, an HTML World Wide
Web page, Postscript, and as a USENET news posting.

All of these formats are generated from SGML source using SGML Tools
and the LinuxDoc DTD.

The HTML version of this FAQ is available as
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/ at other sites.

The Usenet version is posted regularly to news.answers, comp.answers,
comp.os.linux.misc, and comp.os.linux.announce. It is archived at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/os/linux/misc/.

The most recent text, HTML, SGML, and Postscript versions are
available from the Linux archives at sunsite.unc.edu, and from
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

13.3 Authorship and acknowledgments.

This FAQ is compiled and maintained by Robert Kiesling
[EMAIL PROTECTED], with assistance and comments from Linux
activists all over the world.

Special thanks are due to Matt Welsh, who moderated
comp.os.linux.announce and comp.os.linux.answers, coordinated the
HOWTO's and wrote substantial portions of many of them, Greg Hankins
and Timothy Bynum, the former and current Linux Documentation Project
HOWTO maintainers, Lars Wirzenius and Mikko Rauhala, the former and
current moderators of comp.os.linux.announce, Marc-Michel Corsini, who
wrote the original Linux FAQ, and Ian Jackson, the previous FAQ
maintainer. Thanks also to Roman Maurer for his many updates and
additions, especially with European Web sites, translations, and
general miscellany.

Last but not least, thanks to Linus Torvalds and the other
contributors to Linux for giving us something to talk about!

13.4 Disclaimer and Copyright.

Note that this document is provided `as is'. The information in it is
not warranted to be correct. Use it at your own risk.

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers is Copyright (c) 1997,
1998 by Robert Kiesling [EMAIL PROTECTED], under the
copyright of the Linux Documentation Project. The full text of the LDP
copyright is available via anonymous FTP from sunsite.unc.edu, in the
directory /pub/Linux/docs/LDP, and is included below.

Portions are Copyright (c) 1994, 1995, 1996 by Ian Jackson, the
previous Linux FAQ maintainer.

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers may be reproduced and
distributed in its entirety (including this authorship, copyright, and
permission notice), provided that no charge is made for the document
itself, without the author's consent. This includes "fair use"
excerpts like reviews and advertising, and derivative works like
translations.

Note that this restriction is not intended to prohibit charging for
the service of printing or copying the document.

Exceptions to these rules may be granted. I would be happy to answer
any questions regarding this copyright. E-mail me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] As the license below says, these
restrictions are here to protect the contributors, not to restrict you
as educators and learners.

               LINUX DOCUMENTATION PROJECT COPYING LICENSE

Last modified 6 January 1997

The following copyright license applies to all works by the Linux
Documentation Project.

Please read the license carefully---it is somewhat like the GNU
General Public License, but there are several conditions in it that
differ from what you may be used to. If you have any questions, please
email the LDP coordinator, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Linux Documentation Project manuals may be reproduced and
distributed in whole or in part, subject to the following conditions:

All Linux Documentation Project manuals are copyrighted by their
respective authors. THEY ARE NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.
  * The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
    preserved complete on all complete or partial copies.
  * Any translation or derivative work of Linux Installation and
    Getting Started must be approved by the author in writing before
    distribution.
  * If you distribute Linux Installation and Getting Started in part,
    instructions for obtaining the complete version of this manual
    must be included, and a means for obtaining a complete version
    provided.
  * Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews or
    quotes in other works without this permission notice if proper
    citation is given.
  * The GNU General Public License referenced below may be reproduced
    under the conditions given within it.

Exceptions to these rules may be granted for academic purposes: Write
to the author and ask. These restrictions are here to protect us as
authors, not to restrict you as educators and learners. All source
code in Linux Installation and Getting Started is placed under the GNU
General Public License, available via anonymous FTP from the GNU
archive site.

                         PUBLISHING LDP MANUALS

 If you're a publishing company interested in distributing any of the
LDP manuals, read on.

By the license given in the previous section, anyone is allowed to
publish and distribute verbatim copies of the Linux Documentation
Project manuals. You don't need our explicit permission for this.
However, if you would like to distribute a translation or derivative
work based on any of the LDP manuals, you must obtain permission from
the author, in writing, before doing so.

All translations and derivative works of LDP manuals must be placed
under the Linux Documentation License given in the previous section.
That is, if you plan to release a translation of one of the manuals,
it must be freely distributable by the above terms.

You may, of course, sell the LDP manuals for profit. We encourage you
to do so. Keep in mind, however, that because the LDP manuals are
freely distributable, anyone may photocopy or distribute printed
copies free of charge, if they wish to do so.

We do not require to be paid royalties for any profit earned from
selling LDP manuals. However, we would like to suggest that if you do
sell LDP manuals for profit, that you either offer the author
royalties, or donate a portion of your earnings to the author, the LDP
as a whole, or to the Linux development community. You may also wish
to send one or more free copies of the LDP manual that you are
distributing to the author. Your show of support for the LDP and the
Linux community will be very appreciated.

We would like to be informed of any plans to publish or distribute LDP
manuals, just so we know how they're becoming available. If you are
publishing or planning to publish any LDP manuals, please send email
to Matt Welsh (email [EMAIL PROTECTED]).

We encourage Linux software distributors to distribute the LDP manuals
(such as the Installation and Getting Started Guide) with their
software. The LDP manuals are intended to be used as the "official"
Linux documentation, and we'd like to see mail-order distributors
bundling the LDP manuals with the software. As the LDP manuals mature,
hopefully they will fulfill this goal more adequately.

 Matt Welsh, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

14. Administrative information and acknowledgments.

14.1 Feedback is invited.

Please send me your comments on this FAQ.

I accept contributions to the FAQ in any format. All contributions,
comments, and corrections are gratefully received. Please send e-mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you wish to refer to a question in the FAQ, it's better for me if
you do so by the question heading, rather than number. The question
numbers are generated automatically, and I don't see them in the
source file I edit.

I prefer comments in English to patch files--context diff is not my
first language.

14.2 Formats in which this FAQ is available.

This document is available as an ASCII text file, an HTML World Wide
Web page, Postscript, and as a USENET news posting.

All of these formats are generated from SGML source using SGML Tools
and the LinuxDoc DTD.

The HTML version of this FAQ is available as
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/ at other sites.

The Usenet version is posted regularly to news.answers, comp.answers,
comp.os.linux.misc, and comp.os.linux.announce. It is archived at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/os/linux/misc/.

The most recent text, HTML, SGML, and Postscript versions are
available from the Linux archives at sunsite.unc.edu, and from
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/

14.3 Authorship and acknowledgments.

[...]

14.4 Disclaimer and Copyright.

--

Robert Kiesling

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E Larson)
Subject: Re: What linux works best with a cable modem?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:25:33 GMT

In article <779uco$s1a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (smile) wrote:
>I have a cable modem Com/21 and an ethernet card Tbase/10 on ISA slot.
>Would like to know which linux would work best with my configuration.
>I've got also amd 350 and w95(intend to install w98).
>Would appreciate any advice.

So far Redhat and Caldera have been the easiest to configure for my cable
modem. With Redhat I use DHCP and with Caldera it is BOOTP, haven't tried DHCP
with Caldera yet.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Netscape, and garbage in text entry areas.
Date: 10 Jan 1999 21:15:09 GMT

 I am running Netscape(4.05) on Linux Redhat 5.1 (4.05)
In text entry areas, like the ones in the search entries on the Netwcape
Search page , If I go back to try to edit those areas, a whole bunch of
garbage gets entered onto the end of the entry if I try to backspace
delete the letters of the entry. The only way out seems to be to kill
Netscape and try again.
Is this a known bug? Is there some way around it?

( Mch64 driver on an ATI Rage Pro card, running Aotherlevel window
manager.)

------------------------------

From: Chris Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie Needs Linux Help [was: nasty comment about Linus]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:14:49 -0500

"Omni²" wrote:
> I did that
> and it all checks out at boot
> but what is the damm command to connect to the net!!!!
> as I didnt set it for auto connect , thats not what i want
> i like to connect when I want to - its a control thing
> like in win98 I just click an icon
> do I have to type 100 or so characters with foward slashs every so often
> just to log on?

I popped open my Linux book, and found a 24 page section entitled:
Networking. I would figure it out myself and write you a brief, but I
don't have a modem in this machine.

Try running man on chat, slip, and pppd for instructions.

> actually I smiled when dir (enter)  worked
> kinda felt at home
> and yes dir is more obvious
> however "list"  would be better

If you really like dir, use the 'ln' command in Linux ('man ln' for more
info) to create a symbolic link from /bin/dir, or /bin/list, to the ls
program.

> I dont use IE , I prefer doing all my tasks manually
> telnetting to the the appropiate port
> believe it or not
> I dont use a mouse in win except to log on  :)

Under Windows you can use tab to jump from one control to another.

> uhm PnP doesnt require a reboot for a mouse
> (sorry to get technichal)

He didn't say mouse, he said mouse driver. Windows will often (always?)
require a reboot to initialize a new mouse driver. A mouse is also not
Plug and Play: COM ports have always been hot swappable; though the old
MS GUIs had to be restarted before they would notice the change.

>>LOL. Now here's a statement worth arguing about, but since you're so
hot in
>>programming, try recompiling the NT kernel to leave out support for
PCMCIA
>>cards. It can be a little tricky, but since you're such a programmer it
>>shouldn't be a problem.
> would you like some help in that dept?
> its not as hard as you think
> once your used to it
> I guess the same arguement goes for unix

I think we are having a terminology conflict. For future reference: most
people will not flame you for asking what a word like kernel means.

The kernel is the core of the operating system, like command.com is for
DOS and Windows. The term recompiling the kernel includes:

a) changing the Makefile, or other project file, to include the parts
you want
b) compiling the source code into binary format
c) installing the compiled kernel to the existing system

Please give me the directory, on the public distribution of Windows,
where I can get the source code for the system. I would like to remove
loadable module support and compile in the drivers I need for my system;
it worked under Linux.

Chris

P.S. No one asked for a Ph.D. in english, but try to avoid offending
people that can help you.

---
How to make Win9x into DOS: Change BOOTGUI in C:\msdos.sys from =1 to
=0.
---
How to uninstall Windows: fdisk.
---

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Schüller)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:27:30 GMT

"Omni²" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I fuckin LOVED reading that post !!!!!
> esp since I've been using MS products since 1986
>
> ans have only just instaled redhat 5.2
> and cant even get connected to the net

It's usually easier than in Win 95/NT IMO.

> I dont even know how to create a file
> like the copy con command in dos
>
> FUCK LINsux !!!

That's a very narrowminded view. If you really mean that
then you need to grow up (or if you're already grown up,
go see a shrink).

> this is like learning chinese
> nothing makes sense

Yes it does. Windows on the other hand, does not. IMO of
course.

> I'm a pretty good dos/win   user
> now I'm a major linsux dweeb
> fuck that !

I submit that it's a FACT that Linux is "better" than DOS.
Name one thing DOS can do that Linux can't.

> ok linux is free
> so fuckin what
> I've never paid for a MS product either
> so whats the dif???

The difference is that you're breaking the law, if you don't
make for M$ products. Plus the fact that in Linux, you've got the
source code, and there is no inferior and greedy company that owns
it.

> I'll stick to NT and win98

That's your perogative (sp?).

> I can do just as much with a c complier and winsock
> than gnu and linsux

Huh?

/ Peter Schuller
================
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Setting up RH 5.1 as its own mail server
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:00:14 GMT

On 10 Jan 1999 18:47:43 GMT, Stefan Davids <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

It's working, thanks a ton!

Chris

<snip>
>Add every domain for which you should accept mail to /etc/sendmail.cw (it
>might be in /etc/mail). In your case I guess it should contain localhost and
>foo.com, one per line. Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] will go into foo's mailbox.
<snip>