Linux-Misc Digest #556, Volume #25               Fri, 25 Aug 00 10:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: rxvt question (Andrew Purugganan)
  Gnome X errors (Henrik Enberg)
  Re: XFree86 vs Windows (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: where is gnuchess installed? (Ryan Tarpine)
  Re: Where to install apps on Linux system? (-ljl-)
  Re: USB? (Chris Amthor)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
  Re: Xterm problem (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where? (Karl B)
  Re: where is gnuchess installed? (Eric)
  Re: mirroring an hd (-ljl-)
  glibc - rpm -> src (Ryan Tarpine)
  Re: dat driver problem (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: howto configure linux kernel? ("Dan Cernat")
  Re: GNOME problem gazillion shells (ray)
  Re: Ich brauche eure =?iso-8859-1?Q?Partitionierunsvorschl=E4ge?= (Jean-David
Beyer-valinux)
  Re: USB? (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: where is gnuchess installed? (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: NEWBIE-Shell scripting - When to use script variable vs. create tmp  file???
(John Hasler)
  Re: Reading multisession CDs (Fabrice Colin)
  Re: Gnome X errors (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: Banner (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: dat driver problem ("Andreas Moroder")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: rxvt question
Date: 25 Aug 2000 11:56:00 GMT

Eric ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ Luke Olson wrote:
[ >
[ > trying to make the background transparent in rxvt.  any ideas?

[ Yeah, read the info include with the package :-)

I think in rxvt you have to fake it by setting the background to match
the desktop wallpaper. There's always eterm or aterm which i've used.

I HATE telling a guy named Luke to fake it. Obi Wan must be spinning in
his grave ;-)
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

Subject: Gnome X errors
From: Henrik Enberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 2000 14:20:25 +0200

Hi,

I'm running a pretty standard version of RH 6.2 (haven't changed anything
gnome related) and I've been getting the following error messages

/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession: [: too many arguments
SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1021,tcp/localhost.localdomain:1058
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_connect_full(): could not find signal "change-size" in the
`AppletWidget' class ancestry

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_connect_full(): could not find signal "change-size" in the
`AppletWidget' class ancestry
rm: cannot remove `/home/henrik/.gnome//gmc-4YaNyd': No such file or directory

I figure the last line has something to do with the doubled slashes, but I
have no idea about the other. Is it something I should worry about?

Henrik
--
Do the Latin Hustle now!

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XFree86 vs Windows
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:20:31 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in part):

> I'll try to explain what I mean.
> Consider a graphics heavy app like say Star Office. Opening the app
> takes up a lot of time and after it comes up , the motion of the app (
> suppose I want to move the window or use the side bar to navigate) is
> very jerky.
> Consider even Netscape , if we use the sidebar to move up and down , we
> see that the image changes in jerky. But in Windows ( though I hate to
> admit it) the motion is perfect. Also any applications , take for
> instance the Office suite, works perfectly , starts up fast etc.
> Now the Linux kernel is superior to the Windows kernel , yet there is  a
> problem with the graphics. Where is the problem????

Machine or video adapter too slow? On my machine, which is very fast, I get
no jerkyness with scrolling, even on pages littered with lots of inserted
graphics. It does have a Matrox G200 AGP with 8 Megabytes of SGRAM, 2
Pentium III 550MHz CPUs, and 512Megabytes of 100MHz ECC SDRAM, among other
things.

It takes 1.5 seconds to bring up Netscape 4.75, 3 seconds to bring up
Applixware's toolbar, and about 1 second to bring up Applix spreadsheets.
The two 10,000 RPM SCSI-II hard drives may also have something to do with
it. All measured with stopwatch. My reaction time prevents these numbers
from being really accurate, but they give a good idea.

So are your complaints inherent in Linux, or just the machine on which you
are running?

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: Ryan Tarpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where is gnuchess installed?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:04:05 -0400

Jinsong Liang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using redhat 6.2 and just downloaded gnuchess-4.0.p180-3.i386.rpm.
> After I double clicked it, it installed the gnuchess itself without
> asking me where to install. I can  run "gnuchess" in terminal . But I
> can not find it with  "find  /  *gnuchess*".  Where is it?

Try "whereis gnuchess".  It checks only the standard places for programs
and will tell you the locations of manpages, too.  Gnuchess came
preinstalled on my distro (COL 2.2) in /usr/bin.  As a side note, I think
to use find in your case you would need to type "find / -name
*gnuchess*".  Find can search for attributes other than the name, so you
must tell it what it should be looking for.

Ryan

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where to install apps on Linux system?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:16:51 GMT

In article <8o46v2$9va$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The root directory is really the home directory of the root user.
> This is *very* system-specific assumption.  On most Linux systems I've
> seen, the root's home directory is /root , in one case /.root .

I've had systems were it was '/home/root'.  This makes a lot of sense
for a single-user-workstation, just backup /home.  I can see one having
trouble with terminology such as root's directory and root directory.
After all root is just a user; albeit a very priviliged one.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Chris Amthor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:15:53 +0200

Ryuji Yokoyama wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> Does Linux support USB?

Yes, since 2.2.x.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:45:34 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean-David Beyer-valinux:

[Snip...]

|> Let us say my X crashes so bad that C-A-Bs and C-A-F[1-6] do not work. (This
|> has happened to me once in 2 years on my old machine that runs 24/7 and has
|> for over 2 years, and once on my new machine that runs 24/7 since early
|> February this year; i.e., it is a very rare problem.)

Sorry for getting in late on this thread, and I have only an observation about
these symptoms and probably not a "cure" for this case. Hopefully another data
point along the way to diagnosing the real problem.

I too had problems on occasion with X completely locking up all these consoles
and the C-A-Bs X scram function, usually after several weeks of leaving myself
logged in under X on console 7 (machine locked up at home so no security issue
to me). For some reason or another one day I did a full netstat and was really
amazed to see several dozen orphan connections to the dialup LAN at work lying
around uselessly, apparently contending with any viable connections for cycles
along with everything else. I recall several scrolling pages of them.

I concluded that persistent networking links started by X (apparently xhost or
such) were not being sigterm (or whatever) properly whenever I remained logged
in on the X console, while killing the dialup link via "killall pppd" etc.

I've since been logging out of my X console before dropping the link, and this
lockup phenomenon has ceased.

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xterm problem
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:47:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have got a weird problem with xterms under my redhat 6.2/gnome setup.
> The text i type is not visible wherein it seems to me as if the
> foreground and background color of the text are the same.basically the
> text I type on the screen and the prompt which is supposed to come on
> the xterm is replaced by dark areas.My xsetup is 800/600 at 16 bits. In
> addition the mouse is accompanied by large dark squares. The menu that
> is accessible by pressing the hot key is itself indecipherable.However
> gnome terminal works fine. Ditto problem with xman.An ytakers please.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Bring up one of those xterms. Put the mouse pointer in the middle of the
window and right-click the mouse. A pop-up menu will show you 5 items.
Select the one that says: Preferences (the second one). Select the Colors
tab and play it by ear from there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Karl B)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:54:33 +0200

Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, remember that the file name passed to the open system call is
> terminated by \0.  This in itself makes it impossible to have a \0
> character in the middle of a file path name; or if you could you would
> not be able to open it, and that is not much fun.

The most annyoying thing ofcourse is the file I renamed to an empty
string. Thus, the file has no name.

--
Please don't cc or reply via email! (My news service works fine!)
             See message headers for Geek Code.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:56:32 +0200

Ryan Tarpine wrote:

> Jinsong Liang wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using redhat 6.2 and just downloaded gnuchess-4.0.p180-3.i386.rpm.
> > After I double clicked it, it installed the gnuchess itself without
> > asking me where to install. I can  run "gnuchess" in terminal . But I
> > can not find it with  "find  /  *gnuchess*".  Where is it?
>
> Try "whereis gnuchess".  It checks only the standard places for programs
> and will tell you the locations of manpages, too.  Gnuchess came
> preinstalled on my distro (COL 2.2) in /usr/bin.  As a side note, I think
> to use find in your case you would need to type "find / -name
> *gnuchess*".  Find can search for attributes other than the name, so you
> must tell it what it should be looking for.
>
> Ryan

Or since you installed from an rpm:

  rpm -qpl gnuchess-4.0.p180-3.i386.rpm

This will list the contents of the rpm and where they will be installed.

Eric

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mirroring an hd
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:54:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  The Contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hac wrote:

> Aren't there problems concerning the System.map-file?

System.map is a kernel thing, see:
  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/oops-tracing.txt

Don't see where it enters into the picture of moving files.
Now lilo's 'map'  needs to be updated when the kernel and
certain other files used by lilo are altered in any way.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Ryan Tarpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: glibc - rpm -> src
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:37:28 -0400

Caldera somehow left libcrypt out of glibc for OL 2.2.  How can I
upgrade using the source?  I tried making the source,  running rpm -e
glibc, and then make install, but without glibc, make itself wouldn't
even run!  Should I just install the source-compiled glibc over the
existing rpm version?  If yes, should I install it in /usr or
/usr/local?

Thanks,
Ryan

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dat driver problem
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:02:11 -0400

Andreas Moroder wrote (in part):

> Hello,
>
> I tried to write multiple tar files onto my dds dat tapedrive connected via
> a adaptec
> Adapter Configuration:
>            SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter
>                            Ultra Wide Controller
>     PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xdf100000
>       Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Disabled
>
> on a linux 2.0.36
>
> I did
>
> mt -t /dev/st0

What is the "-t" flag? The man page does not discuss it. When I try that, I
get:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ mt -t /dev/st0
usage: mt [-v] [-h] [ -f device ] command [ count ]
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

From: "Dan Cernat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: howto configure linux kernel?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:06:58 -0400

Thanks a lot

Dan

------------------------------

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GNOME problem gazillion shells
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:04:30 GMT

Robert Schweikert wrote:

> I am running RH6.2 distro with some modifications, upgarded to GNOME 1.2
> and ma using IceWm. Creating a number of shell windows on the desktop
> and saving the set up results in the creation of a large number of shell
> windows after I log out an log back in. I tried Enlightenment as WM and
> Sawmill as WM, same problem, thus I think it's a GNOME problem does
> anyone have an idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
> --
> Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

Well, maybe. Gnome has a default preference of saving the last-seen desktop
and restoring it.

This can be defeated in the Contol Center at "sessions", "startup
programs". There's three check boxes
at the top, uncheck "save session automatically" and that should do it for
you. Also, maybe, when leaving, do NOT check "save session" in the logout
screen.

--
Ray R. Jones
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ich brauche eure =?iso-8859-1?Q?Partitionierunsvorschl=E4ge?=
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:09:08 -0400

Oliver Sebold wrote:

> Hallo Leute,
>
> Ich besitze einen PII-PC (mit 18GB HD und 128MB RAM), für den ich Win98 und
> Linux einrichten
> möchte. Ich brauche den Computer vorallem für Entwicklung.
> Ich habe mir einige Gedanken über das richtige Partitionieren meiner
> Festplatte gemacht.
> Mein Vorschlag sieht wie folgt aus:
>
> 1. Partition (7850MB): Win98
> 2. Partition (100MB) : Linux (/)
> 3. Partition (50MB)  : Linux (/boot)
>
> ***********************************
> *Hier beginnt der 1024. Zylinder (bei 8GB!)*
> ***********************************
>
> 4. Partition (200MB) : Linux (/root)
> 5. Partition (200MB) : Linux (/home)
> 6. Partition (200MB) : Linux (/var)
> 7. Partition (8900MB): Linux (/usr)
> 8. Partition (250MB) : Linux (Swap)
> 9. Partition (250MB) : Win98 (Swap)
>
> Damit komme ich schlussendlich auf 18000MB!
>
> Würdet ihr auch so partitionieren?
> Ich erwarte sehr gerne eure Vorschläge.
>
> Gruss
> Oliver

I do not really know German, but I guess you want to know if that
partitionning will work. It seems as though it would. In fact, if your /boot
partition is below completely below cylinder 1024, you probably do not even
need the / partition to be there. I do not know if Windows can tolerate its
swap partition so high, though. It may be (I am not a Windows expert) that it
must be one of the first 4 real partitions.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:10:35 -0400

Chris Amthor wrote:

> Ryuji Yokoyama wrote:
> >
> > Hello All!
> >
> > Does Linux support USB?
>
> Yes, since 2.2.x.

I thunk it did not officially support it until 2.4, though it
was in some of 2.3.x if you wanted to risk it.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:13:44 -0400

Ryan Tarpine wrote:

> Jinsong Liang wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using redhat 6.2 and just downloaded gnuchess-4.0.p180-3.i386.rpm.
> > After I double clicked it, it installed the gnuchess itself without
> > asking me where to install. I can  run "gnuchess" in terminal . But I
> > can not find it with  "find  /  *gnuchess*".  Where is it?
>
> Try "whereis gnuchess".  It checks only the standard places for programs
> and will tell you the locations of manpages, too.  Gnuchess came
> preinstalled on my distro (COL 2.2) in /usr/bin.  As a side note, I think
> to use find in your case you would need to type "find / -name
> *gnuchess*".  Find can search for attributes other than the name, so you
> must tell it what it should be looking for.
>
> Ryan

A faster way to find things is to use locate (man locate). If you leave your
machine up 24/7, a daemon will update the index every night. So try it
"tomorrow." You can force the index to be updated anytime. This will find it
even if it is put somewhere that whereis does not look.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Aug 2000 13:10:47 GMT

Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Let us say my X crashes so bad that C-A-Bs and C-A-F[1-6] do not work. (This

Well, depends what kind of crash. The usual remedy is to rlogin
remotely and kill X. This leaves the console in a funny state, but you
can start another X session (remotely) and carry on.
Or you can try and reset the console, blind.

Usually the ctl-alt stuff is working, btw. You just can't see it!

Now with the sysreq stuff, you have a facilty to revert the console to
a useful state .. but I've never tried this one.

: In the old days, I would press the panic button, endure fcheck trying to fix

This was hardly ever necessary .. see above. You could often run blind
and restart X from the console too.

: Now, with two machines networked together, I can get onto the other machine,
: ssh into the one that hurts, and change run level to 3 and then back to 5 and
: it should be working again. (I hope I never get to try this in an emergency

Yes, as I remarked. Only the console state was hosed, if that.

: When I heard about the "Magic SysRq" button, I thought whoever proposed it
: said that this could be used for such crashed situations. If it is necessary

But that's not a crashed situation (although, yes, you can use it to
"fix" the console, but then you could probably fix the console from
userspace, with textrestore or whatever it's called ..).

: to already be in a "real" (as contrasted to xterm) shell, then it will do

Eh? I don't understand. Are you talking about the console? Yes, of
course you have to be on the console in order to press the keyboard
buttons.  There isn't a prtscr key in a vt100 (at least I hope not ..
hmmm, maybe there is: wow emulated linux console, a la konsole?).

Sysreq is a kernel level intervention in user affairs.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: NEWBIE-Shell scripting - When to use script variable vs. create tmp
file???
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:15:17 GMT

Christopher Browne writes:
> The "ultimate" way of resolving this is to open an output file, unlink
> it, and only _then_ start writing to it.

In a shell script?  Even in C this is not secure against race conditions.
The best thing to do in a shell script is to use the tempfile or mktemp
utilities.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Fabrice Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reading multisession CDs
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:21:59 +0100

I am experiencing a similar problem with my SCSI CD writer.
If you ve got a plain CD drive, try mounting your CD in it.
It works for me. I am not sure we are having the same problem
but I ll try to investigate this week end...

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome X errors
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:23:27 -0400

Henrik Enberg wrote (in part):

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a pretty standard version of RH 6.2 (haven't changed anything
> gnome related) and I've been getting the following error messages
>
> [snip]
> rm: cannot remove `/home/henrik/.gnome//gmc-4YaNyd': No such file or directory
>
> I figure the last line has something to do with the doubled slashes, but I
>
> have no idea about the other. Is it something I should worry about?

I doubt that it has anything to do with the doubled slashes. Unix and Linux systems
seem to treat a double slash in
the midst of a full pathname as a single slash (though it is not obliged to, I do not
suppose).

My ~/.xsession-errors file contains (at the moment):

xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
xscreensaver disabling server builtin screensaver.
xscreensaver: you can re-enable it with "xset s on".
rm: cannot remove `/home/jdbeyer/.gnome//gmc-ndoWWI': No such file or directory
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device

And I have always ignored them; I assume they are bugs in GNOME or some configuration.
But the configuration for that
stuff is as supplied by VA Linux Systems who supposedly know something about it.

There are no such files (gmc- anything) as what this remove is trying to do on my
entire system except for a few that
have nothing to do with this:

valinux:jdbeyer[~/.gnome]$ locate gmc-
/usr/doc/gmc-4.5.40
/usr/doc/gmc-4.5.40/README.desktop
/usr/local/Downloaded/RedHat/gmc-4.5.40-2.i386.rpm
valinux:jdbeyer[~/.gnome]$

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Banner
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:23:47 -0400

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:14:12 -0400, Mark wrote:
> >I wanted to know how to change the banner so whenever somebody on the
> >network telneted to my machine they wouldn't see what os I am running and
> >what kernel I am running. Thanks in advance.
>
> /etc/issue.net is where you need to look.  HTH, HAND.

In Red Hat Linux 6.0, diddling /etc/issue.net is not the way to go, since it is
re-written at each boot. So you better diddle /etc/rc.d/rc.local instead. This
file re-writes /etc/issue each time the system is booted (or each time you
change run-levels, I guess).

But do think this will give you greater security or something? Perhaps you
should, at least, have /etc/hosts.deny set to something like ALL: ALL and only
a very few hosts allowed (in /etc/hosts.allow) for telnet at all. Also, in
/etc/inetd.conf, I have a line as follows:
#telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
so no-one can use telnet. You could comment out almost all the other lines in
that file, and just uncomment this one. This way, the stuff in /etc/hosts.deny
and /etc/hosts.allow could be used to control access to telnet fairly well.

But if you really care about this kind of security, why not use ssh instead of
telnet?

From: "Andreas Moroder" <andreas[nospam][EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:06:43 +0200

Hekko Jean-David,

good question,

it's because we have HP-UX too and the command on hp-ux is -t ( 't' for
tape ).
It's not documented in linux, but it works.

Andreas

Jean-David Beyer-valinux schrieb in Nachricht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...