From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:55:27 -0500

John Hasler wrote:
> Putting a GUI on a server is like putting a Cadillac
> suspension on a pickup truck

I've got to disagree - when no-one is logged in, the user
interface isn't loaded (what you see before login is *not*
Explorer). This means that an NT Server sitting quietly in a
corner isn't being weighed down by the UI. Also, NT *does* allow
remote administration from other NT systems (Server and
Workstation) and even Win 95/98 systems. What NT doesn't support
is a remote console, which is another matter. NT basically isn't
(bar Terminal Server Edition) a multi-user system.

Harry

------------------------------

From: "Dan Tager" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.sco.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Linux networking nukes kernel of SCO box.
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:51:11 -0500

Craig Macbride wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Easy way to crash SCO OSR 5.0.5 kernel:
>
>1) Attach Linux machine to network, with lpd pointed at SCO box.
>2) Wait about 2 hours.
>3) SCO kernel panics with trap type E in kernel function tcp_linput while
>running lpd.
>
>(In particular, this happens with 5.2 Redhat running 2.0.36 Linux kernel
>and SCO 5.0.5 with rs505a and app477a loaded.)
>
>I'd like to request that Linux developers try to nuke Windoze boxes
>and leave SCO boxes alone. :-)

Hmmm... I've had a Linux box, 2.0.35, with lpd pointing to a SCO box, 5.0.2c
with OSS468 and 449.  Both have been up for many months now with no
problems.  Did something break in newer versions?  I'm getting ready to
upgrade our SCO box to 5.0.5.  I guess I better do some testing....

--Dan

------------------------------

From: Seth Van Oort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Safeguards for the Consumer?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:11:09 +0000

Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> As a consumer with some experience with Dos, Win3.1 and Win95, I am in the
> process of deciding whether I should switch over to Linux. I am considering
> buying Linux on a Disk (LOAD) made by Cosmos Engineering
> (www.cosmoseng.com). I have been reading deeply in Red Hat Linux Unleashed
> in order to help me understand Linux and make a wise decision.
>
> Specs: NEC Pentium 166, MMX, 64 meg Ram. Win95 + Linux (hopefully) using
> LILO.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1 -- ROOT MODE SAFEGUARDS:
>
> Are there any safeguards (either command-line or by way of the GUI) against
> accidentally hitting the wrong key combination while in "root" mode? Does
> hitting such a combination of keys really result in destruction of your
> system (as opposed to "merely" requiring a reinstallation of Linux?

Just consider that in Windows you're always in so called root mode. In
Unix you can purposely limit your abilities by changing to a different
user. If you can accidentally hit a combination of keys to wipe out your
system, then you're pretty good. A much, much greater possibility is
purposefully hitting a combination of keys and not understanding the
full implications. Linux is not this jagged operating system waiting to
catch you on something so it can wipe out everything. The command line
is comparable to dos.

> 2 -- SHUTDOWN SAFEGUARDS:
>
> I am planning to buy a battery to protect me from power failures, etc.
> Makes a lot of sense. But what about human error? Inadvertently hitting the
> power button to shut down the system. I understand that fsck or File System
> Checker is the LInux equivalent of Scan Disk. Is it a sufficient safeguard
> against human error?
>
> I have read that Linux, unlike Windows, runs in "unprotected" mode. What
> exactly does that mean, from a practical point of view? Does that mean that
> the safeguards above do not apply or cannot really be applied to Linux?

Who knows what that's supposed to mean. The processor is running in
protected mode for both of them. Protected mode means that the processor
will catch invalid memory accesses (and other checks as well) and the
operating system will usually terminate the program so it can't cause
any harm. Unfortunately, Windows' GUI bypasses this and so normal
programs can lock it up quite often.

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:11:04 -0500
From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving /home to /usr/home

> gbh> I'd like to move my /home directory to /usr/home and would like
> gbh> to know the correct way to do it and what problems this may
> gbh> create.
>
> (Why?  The general idea with /usr is that it's data that doesn't
> change unless you reinstall or upgrade your distribution, with the
> possible exception of /usr/local, and /usr can (should?) be mounted
> read-only [...]

> then you'll be hurting for space in the root partition; my Debian
> package database, among other things, lives in /var (and I believe RPM
> does the same thing), and you'll need more room in /home.  If your
> setup is more like mine:
>
> /       32 MB
> /usr    1000 MB
> /var    300 MB
> /home   400 MB
> /usr/local 500 MB
>
> (with /tmp being a symlink on to /var, and on three separate disks,
> but no other weirdnesses) you'll be fine for space on the root
> partition.

The reason I wanted to do this is because the partitions will
all reside on one disk that is not terribly large. I need to
create large temporary image files (500+ MB) occasionally,
and if I divide up the disk into partitions of several hundred
MBs each, none will be large enough to hold the images. There
seems to be a lot of wasted space left over in each partition.
The question I have for you is, if /usr doesn't change then
why do you allocate more space than you do for /var, /home,
and /usr/local? It seems that once you install it, /usr would
not need any more than the few hundred MBs used for installation.

Given my requirements how would you change this partitioning scheme?

/             32 MB
/usr         200 MB
/usr/local  1000 MB
swap          64 MB

With /var, /home, and /tmp linked to /usr/local? BTW I'm the
only user of the machine with a dialup connection to the Internet.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 08 Mar 1999 16:08:43 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I look at it this way.  99% of the i386 arch all the way to the pent
> II has a 1-2 gig memory limit.  Dispite the 4 gig addressability of
> the CPU, the chipset will only allow up to 1 gig.  more than that is
> ignored and is inaccessable because of the chipset.  You want more
> memory, use a computer that can handle more memory instead of
> complaining about no support for something the hardware can't even do.

Exactly, but in the case of the Xeon the hardware *can* address 64 GB
or RAM.

> to actually NEED that kind of memory, you must have some serious data
> to crunch.  our news server /w 64 meg ram runs our news server going
> through 3 gigs a day and keeps up no prob...

Yup.  I'm not talking about 3 GB of netnews a day.  That's about 120
MB/hour, or 33 KB/sec, which is peanuts.  I'm talking in the range of
10-100 GB/hour (and up) using a high end RDBMS and other high end data
warehousing tools.  At this point, we're talking 3-30 MB/sec.  4-16
Xeon's can do a pretty good job chewing through that kind of data, if
they can keep their feeds busy.  That means that memory thrashing is a
no-no.

Essentially, I'm talking about entirely different applications here
than most people are used to dealing with.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jess C. Gehin)
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Used WWW.DEJANEWS.COM !
Date: 8 Mar 1999 21:14:06 GMT

I found this to be one of the best resources for information on the web.
I always consult dejanews before looking anywhere else.

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:24:12 +0000, concord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just wanted to let you know that I had a really big question about glibc vs.
>libc5 and I had the whole thing typed up and was ready to send it to this
>newsgroup when I decided to check dejanews first.  The answer was already there.
>
>I see a lot of questions posted that never get answered - I wonder if it's
>because people are tired of answering the same questions over and over again?  I
>guess that would get tiring.
>
>Be patient with us newbies... we're learning.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Frank
>
>--
>-----------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~------------
>please remove NOSPAM from the address
>          above in order to reply
>-------------------------------------

  Jess C. Gehin
  Oak Ridge National Laboratory                phone: (423) 576-5093
  P.O. Box 2008                                  fax: (423) 574-9619
  Oak Ridge, TN  37831-6363                   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Subject: Re: command not found not solved with ./
Date: 8 Mar 1999 20:13:47 GMT

>Dave Kortz wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to run a script (ns-install for Netscape 4.51) and receive an
>> error: "bash:command not found"  After reading through this newsgroup I see that
>> the solution should be to add the directory to my path or type ./ns-install - I
>>
>> I have tried both of these solutions, but without it solving the problem.  I am
>> logged in as root and have confirmed that bash is my shell.   I'm using Redhat
>> 5.2 and (although I doubt I need to add the obvious) rather new at using Linux.

The problem might be a command in your script. You will get that error message
if any one of the lines in your script is bad.

------------------------------

From: Jason Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Startup...
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:27:33 +0000

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi there, I am new to Linux (migrating from Windows). I need to learn any
> thing and everything about Linux, Linux internals etc. Can Any body suggest
> me some books or websites where I can get more information? I have RedHat
> Linux 5.2.

OK, if you already have Linux installed the best advise to start out with
is to read the HOWTO documents located in /usr/doc/HOWTO and the mini
HOWTO documents located in the mini directory under the HOWTOs.

Then when you want more info on a particular package checking
/usr/doc/package is a good idea.

Your Red Hat Linux 5.2 CD will have come with the System Administrator
Guide, The Programmers Guide and a lot of other documentation as well.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/

------------------------------

From: Dramen Mendra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: egcs 1.1.1 i386.rpm where ?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:20:11 -0500

go here:   http://www.foyer.se/PGCC.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Art Green)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:03:38 -0500

Perhaps there is a command inside the script that the
script can't find...?

Art

--
---
Art Green                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie - help modifying sendmail 8.8.5-4
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:59:13 GMT

I'm running redhat with sendmail 8.8.5.-4 and have been told that its
setup as an open relay. I have found check_rcpt from sendmails website
but I have never made modifications to the config file. Is there
anything that could "bite" me if I make the additions? Anything that I
should be aware of? My editor is joe.

THANKS! For any feedback!
Jerry Holmes

remove nospam for my email address

------------------------------

From: Andy Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: need some application recommendations
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:05:54 -0500

"David M. Cook" wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:29:31 GMT, Peter Worcester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >File managers...
>
> I like FileRunner.  I use it mostly for its ftp capability, and it's
> sometimes useful when I'm cleaning up a directory.  Otherwise my favorite
> file manager is bash.

Since I haven't seen any mention of it in this thread, I have to pitch in
TkDesk.  I haven't used FileRunner since I started using TkDesk.  Very very
configurable.  It's so configurable in fact, you can use the thing as your
window manager if you want, though I haven't gone to that extreme.  You can make
it have different menus on a right-click for different file types and
everything.  Very cool.

--

          .==,_
         .===,_`\                                Andy Harrison

From: "Rufus V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:56:08 -0500

I probably should have left it alone...

Matthias Warkus wrote in message ...
>It was the Mon, 8 Mar 1999 05:12:29 -0800...
>..and Richard Latimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[schnibble]
>> On my RedHat installation I was given elm, exmh, fetchmail, mailx,
>> metamail, mutt, nmh, pine, slrn, tin, trn, mailcap, procmail, sendmail,
>> ppp, dip, netscape-communicator, xrn, and xmailbox. If I list the
support-
>> ing net packages, the list more than doubles. All but a few of these
>> packages can be discarded,
>
>No, they can't, and they won't. They all serve a particular,
>well-defined purpose.

Many particular, well-defined purposes that many users will find absolutely
no use for.  I think the "being discarded" was on an individual user basis.
</serious commentary>

>[schnibble]
>> What seems reasonable in the unix community looks positively Luddite
>> from the outside. By accepting these tools as they are, by adapting your-
>> self to a rather Byzantine manner of doing things,
>
>Nonsense. The fact that you aren't accustomed to the Right Thing
>doesn't mean the Right Thing isn't Right.

Back atcha, big guy.

>[schnibble]
>> Generous people wrote a lot of unix/linux software to solve specific
>> problems. It was adequate for their purposes. It is no longer adequate
for
>> the challenges Linux confronts now. More elegant, simpler solutions are
>> needed.
>
>WRONG. Most Unix software is elegant, doing one thing in the Right
>Way. Do you really want us to use all-in-one reinvent-the-wheel
>packages with dumbed down interfaces and all the usual cruft you find
>on the Windows platform?
>
>No man. We've got a better philosophy.

...and if the rest of the world wasn't so stupid...

>--
>Egotism is the anesthetic given by a kindly nature to relieve the pain
>of being a damned fool.
> -- Bellamy Brooks

Tagline or disclaimer?