Linux-Misc Digest #370, Volume #25                Mon, 7 Aug 00 13:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How to change a ro mounted disk to rw? (Nicolas Iselin)
  Re: Help burning CDR (iso) image (Dances With Crows)
  Re: How to change a ro mounted disk to rw? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: sending Fax (Fabian Gebhardt)
  Re: Modem Lights App for Windoze? (Fabian Gebhardt)
  Re: Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big? (Dave Brown)
  Re: mp3 normalizer for Linux? (Mike Castle)
  Re: VNC and my proxy
  Re: Almost Lost New Hard Drive After Linux Install (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
  Re: Backup /usr files (permissions?), repartition, restore?
  Re: Linux sees only 64 M of RAM ???
  Re: Linux sees only 64 M of RAM ??? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Almost Lost New Hard Drive After Linux Install (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Linux sees only 64 M of RAM ??? (Bob Hauck)
  Booting linux from ZIP (Antonio =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9=20Ant=F3n?=)
  linneighborhood (alikbm)
  Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+ ISA problem (Stephen Britton)
  /usr/sbin/nscd  (David Steuber)
  Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers (David Steuber)
  Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers (David Steuber)

From: Nicolas Iselin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to change a ro mounted disk to rw?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:12:44 +0200

Ted Sariyski wrote:

> Hi,How to change a ro mounted disk to rw?

First of all, this is what your system does everytime it boots. It
first mounts your root filesystem read-only, performs some checks
and then remounts it rw.

There is an option to mount that is used for unmounting and mounting
in one step (remount). I just say: RTFM/man mount.

> I posted this two days ago but did not get any answer. This a last cry
> for help before going to rebuild the system.

Don't !!!

> I messed with the
> /etc/fstab and put /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/sda1. At boot time the
> system looks for an non-existing device and throw me up in a rescue mode
> with /dev/sda1 mounted under / as read-only. If I am able to mount
> /dev/sda1 as read-write I will be able to correct the typo in /etc/fstab
> and it will save me a lot of time. The problem is that I do not know how
> to do this. I am unable to umount /dev/sda1.

If you would successfully umount your root filesystem, where would you
take take the mount command from ??? ;-)

> When I submit "umount
> /dev/sda1" the system doesn't complain but do nothing. I am stuck. Is
> there a way to change the mode of a mounted file system from ro to rw. I
> will highly appreciate any help, hint, points to howto, etc.

The second solution can help you in the future whenever there is a problem
booting: Download the tomsrtbt 'Linux on one floppy' from www.toms.net.
Boot this floppy and then mount the partition in question manually (i.e.
without using /etc/fstab, again just read the full manpage to mount) vi
fstab and there you are.

Good luck

Nicolas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Help burning CDR (iso) image
Date: 7 Aug 2000 14:17:51 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 08:21:02 -0500, pdlamb wrote:
>I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
>it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
>-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
>seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
>but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

How did you make the .iso file in the first place?  And can you check
the .iso using the loopback, like so?
  mount -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/other -o loop,ro
should mount the .iso on /mnt/other --if it coughs up error messages
unrelated to the lack of loopback support in your kernel (Put it in!) or
the nonexistence of /mnt/other (mkdir it), then the .iso file is more
than likely corrupt.  To make an .iso file out of a data CD, just do:
  dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=2k

xcdroast is a frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs--nothing more, nothing
less.  What works in xcdroast *must* work in cdrecord.  Does cdrecord
cough up any errors while burning?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 7 Aug 2000 14:19:26 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:19:13 -0400, Ted Sariyski wrote:
>I posted this two days ago but did not get any answer. This a last cry
>for help before going to rebuild the system. I messed with the
>/etc/fstab and put /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/sda1. At boot time the
>system looks for an non-existing device and throw me up in a rescue mode
>with /dev/sda1 mounted under / as read-only. If I am able to mount
>/dev/sda1 as read-write I will be able to correct the typo in /etc/fstab
>and it will save me a lot of time. The problem is that I do not know how
>to do this. I am unable to umount /dev/sda1. When I submit "umount
>/dev/sda1" the system doesn't complain but do nothing. I am stuck. Is
>there a way to change the mode of a mounted file system from ro to rw. I
>will highly appreciate any help, hint, points to howto, etc.

mount /dev/sda1 / -o remount,rw

From: Fabian Gebhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sending Fax
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:38:27 +0200

E J schrieb:

> Tried hylafax but after messing around it for a week, I found it was not
> usable because I need a class 2 fax modem.
> I got efax which will work on class 1 (mine and most cheap fax non
> winmodems) and fax 2 written by a fellow Vancouverite here in Canada.
> It works great with a fax entry in my printcap, so I got Star Office 5.2
>
> and with a little work I got Word Perfect to fax out by switching from
> printer to fax.  I never tried receiving a fax, but I assume it works
> fine.
> I got my efax from the Redhat 6.2 Powertools CD which is avaiable as a
> free down load for individual programs or the entire CD.
>
> Daniel Bechard wrote:
>
> > How can I send fax with Open Linux 2.4
> >
> > Thank you

Can you use efax for a faxserver instead of hylafax, too?
I have the same problem (class 1 modem).
I wanted to run a daemon for fax jobs on my linux server and all windows clients
should fax over the network.
Can I do this?
--
CU, Fabian Gebhardt

   E-Mail:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ICQ#:        77948091
   Homepage:    http://www.ki.tng.de/~gebhardt
   Schul-Seite: http://www.ebg.org

------------------------------

From: Fabian Gebhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem Lights App for Windoze?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:47:18 +0200

I think its not exectly that you are searching for:

Try nettrafd. Its a client/server program. The server runs on linux and sends
the amount of nettraffic of e.g. ppp0, eth0 or what you want to the clients,
which run on windoze and will show you a diagramm (? I don't know the word).
I think I found it on freshmeat.

Here is the homepage: http://nettraf.webjump.com/

There is also a screenshot of the client. Have a look at it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big?
Date: 7 Aug 2000 09:48:38 -0500

>>Mine are likely so low because I generally uninstall the RPM packages and
>>compile/install from tarballs as much software as possible. My goal is to
>>eventually have every single piece of software on my system compiled by
>>myself.
>>
>>(Call me oldschool if you will, I just prefer it that way :> )

In that case, I'd think you'd use Slackware, since the only advantage
of RH or RH-derivatives is "package management", which you have abandoned.

I'm a Slackware hold-out slowly migrating to rpm-based systems simply
because package management does make life a little easier.  (Admittedly,
Slackware does have a package tool, which is helpful, but not thorough.)

Re: the size of the rpm database--disk space has gotten awfully cheap.
--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: mp3 normalizer for Linux?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:35:34 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Max Francis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone know of a Linux application that can normalize the volumes on a
>large collection of preexisting mp3s?  These are preexisting mp3s, so if
>they normalize while they're first ripping/compressing that won't do the
>job; although, one which can do the job _in addition_ to
>ripping/compressing would be just fine.  (None of the ripping programs I
>looked at which supported some kind of normalizing seemed to be able to
>separate the functionality.)

How about a simple shell script?

Hmmm... something like:

#!/bin/sh

for v in $*; do
        mp3towav $v $v.wav
        adj=`sox $v.wav stat -v 2>&1`
        sox $v.wav -v ${adj} -t wav - | wavtomp3 - $v.tmp
        mv $v.tmp $v
done

Of course, you'd replace mp3towav and wavtomp3 with your favorite
applications.  Personally I don't have anything to go from mp3towav, so
can't offer any suggestions.  wavtomp3, I'd probably use something like
lame -v -V0 -b 128 -t - $v.tmp

Nice thing about this is, you can't play around with different utilities
for decoding and encoding until you get something that works best for you.

mrc

--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and be right all the time, or not work at all

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VNC and my proxy
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:08:18 -0400

You *can* connect to a public ip address through a MASQ-ing proxy, using VNC
.

If your linux is using a 2.2x kernel, use ipchains,

I forget the complete syntax but you have to say,
when source is your internal ip and port is 5900 -j MASQ

   -s <your ip> 5900:5900 -j MASQ

You have the forward chain DENY by default, right ?

If your proxy is not MASQ-ing, then I am clueless.

Hope this is of some help.

joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Subject: Re: Almost Lost New Hard Drive After Linux Install
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:14:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger) wrote:

>Taken out of context. They're talking about other partition types such
>as BSD ("slices" they call them, and can't be seen by Windoze FDISK
>or PQMAGIC from what I've seen) and "other non-DOS partition tables."

This was your comment to my quote from the fdisk manual page:

"fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens
to produce reasonable results. Its single advantage is that it has
some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS partition tables.
Avoid it if you can."

I suggest you read that again.
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup /usr files (permissions?), repartition, restore?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:22:21 -0400

NO!!! ( capitals intensionally used as in a blood curdling scream)

cp has an option to preserve the user/group id's. It's in the man page .
man cp at the xterm or the console

I only know of one way to do this :

as root, copy out the entire /usr tree ( with the option to preserve group
and owner data ) , tar and gzip it, and put it somewhere safe. Preferably
another hdd on another computer .You could even use samba and dump the file
on a w2k drive.
Then unmount the /usr partition, proced to delete it with fdisk. Make a new
one, and then use mke2fs .

mke2fs /dev/hda7

there may be options to mke2fs that I can't remember now ( did all this
about a year ago ), so consult the man pages on mke2fs before jumping in :)

After it has put in the ext2 file sytem, mount the partition as /usr, and
untar your backup into it .

Don't forget to go into /etc/fstab and change the entry for /usr to point to
the new partition number.

HTH
joseph

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux sees only 64 M of RAM ???
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:29:51 -0400

RH 6.0 :
I started with 64 MB . Linux saw it all.
In January, I put in 64MB more.
Linux reported 128MB physical.

Moved the hdd to a MB with amd751/756 chipset with a t-bird , and 128MB of
memory.
It's still *not* giving me problems.

If linux needs the mem= line, then why is it seeing all of the memory in my
machine right off ?

Is there something that happened "automagically" in the background that I
was not aware of ?

Just curious.

joseph

SeLmux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stearns25 wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Is it true that Linux only recognizes 64M of Ram and some modifications
to the
> > lilo.conf file (involving adding a  'mem=' line or something to that
nature)
> > is needed to make Liniux sees beyond 64M?
> >
> > would someone pls point me to the doc on this matter?
> >
> > I have a RH 6.1 box with 256M of RAM. According to /var/log/dmesg,
Linux seems

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 7 Aug 2000 16:04:43 GMT

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:29:51 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>RH 6.0 :
>I started with 64 MB . Linux saw it all.  In January, I put in 64MB
>more.  Linux reported 128MB physical.
>Moved the hdd to a MB with amd751/756 chipset with a t-bird , and 128MB
>of memory.  It's still *not* giving me problems.
>If linux needs the mem= line, then why is it seeing all of the memory in my
>machine right off ?

It's all about the BIOS.  There are several different ways for the BIOS
to report how much memory is available at boot time.  The old way that
dates back to the early 80s is supposed to return a maximum of 64M, and
every BIOS supports that method of memory detection.  (INT 0x15, 0x88).
A similar method (INT 0x15, 0xe801) can return a max of 4G (I think...)
but not every BIOS implements this.  The final method, (INT 0x15,
0xe820) is apparently used by some BIOSes, but the code for supporting
it is rather hairy since the BIOS can return a memory map with a bunch
of holes in it.  If your BIOS doesn't support e801 and you want to use
the stable kernel series, you sort of have to pass "mem=XX" to the
kernel if you wish to use more than 64M, since the 2.2 series doesn't
seem to have support for the e820 method.

Most info stolen from /usr/src/linux-2.4.0-test5/arch/i386/boot/setup.S
, naturally.

(Any PC-BIOS gurus, feel free to correct whatever glaring errors I
made.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:59:29 GMT

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 15:14:37 GMT, Svend Olaf Mikkelsen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This was your comment to my quote from the fdisk manual page:
>
>"fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens
>to produce reasonable results.

I'm afraid that my copy of "man fdisk" does not contain this text.  It
does contain this though:

BUGS
       There  are  several  *fdisk programs around.  Each has its
       problems and strengths.  Try them  in  the  order  cfdisk,
       fdisk, sfdisk.

None of the manpages for these versions of fdisk contains the text you
quoted.  Perhaps you have a very old copy of fdisk?  My manpage is
dated 11 June 1998.

If your theory of "cyclic partitions" were correct in general for large
disks, then we would be hearing the screams of pain from all quarters.
Instead, we hear only from people with old BIOS.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:01:11 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If linux needs the mem= line, then why is it seeing all of the memory in my
>machine right off ?

Kernels > 2.2.0 usually see all the memory, but not always.  Apparently
some BIOSen do not support the calls that it uses to check the memory.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Antonio =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9=20Ant=F3n?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting linux from ZIP
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:33:31 GMT

Hello,

I'm making a system with only one iomega-ZIP disk (ATAPI version
connected to /dev/hda) and memory (without hardisk or CD). While
installing, I connected a CD-Rom to boot and install Linux (Suse 5.3) in
a ZIP diskette.

I configured a partition (/dev/hda1 to full disk size) and installed
LILO. The BIOS can boot from device LS/ZIP.

When I reboot the computer, the ZIP drive blinks the LED (I suposse it
is trying to load boot sector) and then BIOS shows the message "INSERT
BOOT DISK".

I can't boot from ZIP drive, but I can load the kernel from CD-ROM and
then, set the root partition to /dev/hda1 that is ZIP diskette.

Is there any problem with LILO in ZIP drives?

From: alikbm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linneighborhood
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:32:46 +0300

hi i am trying to install linux neighborhood and
to surf local network but when i want to mount some shared dirs accross
the network i get the following massege :

smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct users mounts (501,502)
      smbmnt failed: 1
      mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
   couldnīt mount /home/alikbm/mnt: oper not permitted

as i understand something wrong with my samba settings
when i do the same with root everything is ok....

so how do i fix that ?

thanks in advance for help...

------------------------------

From: Stephen Britton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+ ISA problem
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 12:54:44 -0400

I have a problem with my Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+ ISA card in
Slackware 7.1.  For some reason, the connection randomly quits working
and i have to take the interface down and then bring it up again for it
to work.

thanks,

Stephen Britton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Subject: /usr/sbin/nscd
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:00:05 GMT

Does anybody know what this program is or what it does?  I don't seem
to have docs on it.  If I don't need it, I don't want seven copies of
it running.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

Subject: Re: UDMA IDE Drive stops network transfers
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:00:06 GMT

Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' To see how (or whether) DMA is operating, have you tried hdparm?
' http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/hardware/hdtweak.html

Never heard of it.  Thanks a bunch for mentioning it!

root@apostrophe:/home/david/src/apache_1.3.12 > hdparm -c /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
root@apostrophe:/home/david/src/apache_1.3.12 > hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in 11.63 seconds = 2.75 MB/sec
root@apostrophe:/home/david/src/apache_1.3.12 > hdparm -c 1 -d 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting 32-bit I/O support flag to 1
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
root@apostrophe:/home/david/src/apache_1.3.12 > hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  32 MB in  2.31 seconds =13.85 MB/sec
root@apostrophe:/home/david/src/apache_1.3.12 > hdparm -k 1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting keep_settings to 1 (on)
 keepsettings =  1 (on)

Big improvement!

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:00:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth R=F8rvik) writes:

' >My first thought was that the interrupt for the IDE drive was taking
' >up all the CPU time so that the NIC couldn't be serviced.  But a
' =

' You're probably right :) Try "hdparm -u1 /dev/hd<device letter>". This =
will =

' turn on IRQ unmasking for the drive, reducing CPU overhead when there i=
s =

' large amounts of disk I/O. For some setups, this option is considered =

' dangerous (CMD640B and RZ1000), but most people should be OK.

Man hdparm has dire warnings about this one.  But I sure could use the
speed.  The machine I am setting up as a server uses the Abit VH6
board with Via chipset.  Will this be safe?  Another machine that
could use a boost is a Gateway 2000 G6-200.  Will that be safe?  I
really can't afford to scramble the disks, and I have no place to
backup too :-(.

-- =

David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=3DDictionary&va=3Dhoplite&subm=
it=3DLook+it+up