Linux-Misc Digest #370, Volume #24                Fri, 5 May 00 14:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  DVD kernal patch ("Jason Stegman")
  Re: what does this msg mean ? ... (Martin Kroeker)
  Re: "make config" surprise ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux ( George Jefferson)
  Re: ls --color command ("C.E.G.")
  Re: "make config" surprise ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux (Keep it to Usenet please)
  Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux (david bonde)
  Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon (Boddhisatva Troutwaxer)
  Re: What is the purpose of /etc/fstab? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux ("Paul Harman")
  Re: make config problems (Steve)
  Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux ( George Jefferson)
  send SNMP traps to NT from linux box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: can mkisofs include only some files from directories (James Pearson)
  Re: send SNMP traps to NT from linux box (brian moore)
  Qmail Queue ("Carlo Manuali")
  Re: How to print page range in Netscape/Linux (Robert Lynch)
  How to start and stop inetd, apachectl in startup scripts. (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
  Re: How to print page range in Netscape/Linux (Chetan Ahuja)
  Re: xdm,kdm or gdm problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RH 6.2: shutdown problem: Xfree86 crashes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fsck.ufs: Does it exist? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS Deluxe
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Having a problem with tar. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Capacity Planning Class (Perfskool)
  Re: good email client for Linux? (Michael Kelly)

From: "Jason Stegman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general
Subject: DVD kernal patch
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 11:09:05 -0400

has anyone got the DVD kernel patch for 2.2.14 working.  The DVD player
seems to be working right, but I don't think the patch worked.  I'm running
RH 6.2 on a dell pentium III.  however, to configure the kernel i used 'make
xconfig'.  might this have hindered the effectiveness of the patch.

-jason

------------------------------

From: Martin Kroeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what does this msg mean ? ...
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:15:45 GMT

G.L. Grobe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This seems to happen every once in awhile (every two weeks or so). I'll
> walk in my office and find that my web server is totally unresponsive
> and locked up with the following msg's displaying on my screen.

Most likely a hardware problem. Check the CPU fan, and check the memory.
(get memtest86 from http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/ and
let it run for a few minutes).

HTH,
Martin
--
Dr. Martin Kroeker, daVeg GmbH Darmstadt  CAD/CAM/CAQ  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      Precision Powered by Penguins

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "make config" surprise
Date: 5 May 2000 15:03:21 GMT

Ken Yasuda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:       While trying to modify my kernel, I went to /usr/src/linux and tried to
: "make xconfig" and "make menuconfig."  I got the following error message but am
: not quite sure what it means:

:       make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'.  Stop.

Interestingly enough, it means what it says: the Makefile does not
contain any rule that has xconfig as its target. You should look
at the Makefile and see if it looks to have been mutilated. Compare
it with a fresh Makefile from the source tar.

:       Can anybody suggest what I should be checking out as a result of this
: error message?  Configuring the kernel had not been a problem during several of
: my earlier attempts.

But did you try the same thing during your earlier attempts? Please
show what you did, and the error messages that result. As well as
pertinent info like an ls -l of the /usr/src/linux directory.

Offhand, I guess you are not in the right directory, despite what
you claim above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( George Jefferson )
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: [HELP] Mounting Macintosh fileserver on Linux
Date: 5 May 2000 15:21:06 GMT

:> http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/afpfs/ if you want more information on it.
:
:Yuk - looks waaaaay too alpha for my liking.

and its been alpha for about 10 years <g>, at least i think thats
the package i looked at for my old sparc in the early 90's.

--
george jefferson : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
to reply simply press "r"

------------------------------

From: "C.E.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: ls --color command
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 11:22:13 -0400

Great!  I got it all working and thanks for all the help.  One more
question, however.

Are there more colors than the ones in the .dir_colors file as listed
below, and where can I find them.

# Attribute codes:
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
# Text color codes:
# 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
# Background color codes:
# 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 16:07:43 +0100

This message has been posted by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Ewart)

On 5 May 2000 14:54:24 GMT, Ken Yasuda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hello fellow users,
>
>       While trying to modify my kernel, I went to /usr/src/linux and tried to
>"make xconfig" and "make menuconfig."  I got the following error message but am
>not quite sure what it means:
>
>       make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'.  Stop.
>
>       Can anybody suggest what I should be checking out as a result of this
>error message?  Configuring the kernel had not been a problem during several of
>my earlier attempts.

Either the kernel source is not in /usr/src/linux or you have deleted/moved
the Makefile ...

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Keep it to Usenet please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:40:16 -0500

In article <rLAQ4.132$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Paul Harman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've heard of a Solaris product called "kashare" - is that available for
> Linux? Doesn't seem to be :*(

You can also get CAP (Columbia AppleTalk Package) -- It's free and you
should be able to build it on linux.  But I don't know how that (or
KAShare) would work.  They make unix (linux?) directories available
via AppleTalk, not the other way around.

--
Help!  I'm being held in a .sig factory.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (david bonde)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 17:38:14 +0200

Rod Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your only practical solution is to buy an NFS or SMB server for the
> Macintosh,

Isn't a smb-server included in ASIP?

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon
From: Boddhisatva Troutwaxer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 08:47:58 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Michael Borgwardt wrote:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>         Yanglong Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I wake up to a horrific reality that some computer
manufacturers may be
>> > trying to suppress and uproot Linux and all other free
Operating
>> > Systems. How? They make computers that do not read nor write
those free
>> > OS bootdisks in drive A. It is a very bad trick upon us free
OS users.

<major snip>

This is why we get a high quality case and motherboard, then

(big chorus everybody)

Build our own!!

T.

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of /etc/fstab?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:22:59 -0500

mike wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have understood that the purpose of /etc/fstab was to tell Linux
>
> to mount the devices that were listed on boot up, but it seems, I
> think, that there can be devices listed that are not automatically
> mounted.
>     If that is so, what is the purpose of haveing the others listed at
> all
> in that you can just mount them manually at will anyway.
>     Also, how could I make the system re-read the /etc/fstab file
> without rebooting the system?
>     How is the "supermount" attribute used?
>
>                                         Thanks
>
>                                             Mike

It saves you the effort of having to specify the options.
For example, I have the following entry

/dev/sdc4         /zip      vfat    noauto         0      0

for a SCSI zip drive.  I can mount it simply with

mount /zip

To the best of my knowledge, it is not necessary to have the
system reread /etc/fstab.  I certainly have made changes
and then been able to use them immediately after without doing
anything special.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "Paul Harman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 16:46:58 +0100

Keep it to Usenet please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> You can also get CAP (Columbia AppleTalk Package) -- It's free and you
> should be able to build it on linux.

I've heard Bad Things about CAP, at least relative to netatalk - but I guess
I may not have a choice. Didn't realise it'd allow UNIX to mount
Appleshare....

> But I don't know how that (or
> KAShare) would work.  They make unix (linux?) directories available
> via AppleTalk, not the other way around.

Are you sure? Okay, I'll check it out - but my boss says that it works the
way we are expecting };*) Maybe it does both - he claims it's pretty much
like the Mac Chooser which (IIRC) you can share from, as well as mount from.
[I'm not a Mac expert so I may have the wrong terms there]

    Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: make config problems
Date: 5 May 2000 16:56:25 GMT

On Thu, 4 May 2000 23:02:11 +0100, Eagle wrote:
>Is anything special required to be loaded in for this command to run?
>I'm using Slackware 7.0 distro ..... without X
>In /usr/src/linux, typing the command make config or make menuconfig gives
>error message that arch/i386 ...... (sorry trying to remember this from
>memory) .... cannot be found and quits on me.
>Any ideas than on how I can recompile the kernel?
>Thanks

Wadda ya trying to compile? It might help if we know.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 10:59am  up 8 days, 13:00,  3 users,  load average: 1.29, 1.10, 1.03

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( George Jefferson )
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.appletalk,comp.sys.mac.misc
Date: 5 May 2000 16:06:33 GMT

depending on what you are tying to do of course, it probably makes
most sense to run an apple server on the linux box. Then you
can transparently acess the files from a mac, and 'reasonably'
acess the same files from unix.  It is a mess deailing with forked files
with weird names from a shell however which way you do it of course.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.redhat
Subject: send SNMP traps to NT from linux box
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 15:57:20 GMT

Hi people,

Well, I'm not very familiar with SNMP traps/signals.

I was wondering if it's possible to send a TRAP/signal to start and stop
a SERVICE on a WindowsNT from a redhat box.

For that matter are any good sites related to SNMP on LINUX.

thanks,
hallian

From: James Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can mkisofs include only some files from directories
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:10:39 GMT

In article <8eta1v$f3g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> All,
>    I need to create a CD image of only certain files from several
> different sub-directories (ie modified in last 30 days).  I can
> generate a list of the files, but how can I use this list as input
> into mkisofs (if at all)?
>
>    Is this possible without copying the original files?  I also need
> to make sure the directory structure remains intact.

Use "find" to create a list of file names that were not modified in the
last 30 days. Use this list as the argument to the '-exclude-list'
option. Make sure you have a recent version of mkisofs (v1.12.1), part
of cdrecord v1.8.1 available via:

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/

James Pearson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.redhat
Subject: Re: send SNMP traps to NT from linux box
Date: 5 May 2000 16:27:29 GMT

On Fri, 05 May 2000 15:57:20 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> Well, I'm not very familiar with SNMP traps/signals.
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to send a TRAP/signal to start and stop
> a SERVICE on a WindowsNT from a redhat box.

Well, it's certainly possible to send a trap.  What that does to NT, I
don't know (or care to know).

http://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/ should be a good start.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: "Carlo Manuali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Qmail Queue
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 18:30:45 +0200

Hi to all,

I work at University and  I have this problem:
I've configured a Mail Server: QMAIL.
My purpose is send mail not immediately, but I would that the messages stay
in the queue for a few time.
I would that when a ISDN router comes up, the "E-Mail start".
In actual scenario, every time that I send a message the router comes up!!!

I'm looking for an option like "-q15m" of sendmail.....

Best Regards,

P.S.
Sorry, but my English is not very good.

Carlo Manuali
Centro d'Ateneo per i Servizi Informatici (CASI)
University Of Perugia
ITALY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:21:59 -0700
From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to print page range in Netscape/Linux

WORLOK wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Under Linux Netscape, when you go to print a document, the only choice
> is to print the whole thing.  Is there a way to pront only , say, the
> first 6 pages of an HTML file under Netscape/Linux??  Is there something
> I have to append to the "lpr" command?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ================================
> Viva Linux!! Viva La Revolutión!
> ================================
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sorry, don't have an answer for you, but I would like this too.  Also,
what would be neat is if there were some way to have the URL, date,
time, page no. printed at the top of the pages the way you see it when
you print with Netscape on Windoze.

I've thought about trying to program a print filter (pages, page
numbering shouldn't be too big a problem), but how to get the URL info
from Netscape?

Cheers,

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to start and stop inetd, apachectl in startup scripts.
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:40:51 GMT

I've found the place in the scripts where I'm supposed to put the
startup/shutdown of various daemons not autmatically included in
the setup.

I can't simply put in for example:

inet start
apachetcl start

because the script could be shuting down ( in a hurry, assume I put in
the right directories).

Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Chetan Ahuja <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 May 2000 16:48:11 GMT

Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  spoke thusly:
> WORLOK wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> Under Linux Netscape, when you go to print a document, the only choice
>> is to print the whole thing.  Is there a way to pront only , say, the
>> first 6 pages of an HTML file under Netscape/Linux??  Is there something
>> I have to append to the "lpr" command?
>>

> Sorry, don't have an answer for you, but I would like this too.  Also,
> what would be neat is if there were some way to have the URL, date,
> time, page no. printed at the top of the pages the way you see it when
> you print with Netscape on Windoze.

> I've thought about trying to program a print filter (pages, page
> numbering shouldn't be too big a problem), but how to get the URL info
> from Netscape?

> Cheers,

> Bob L.

  I don't know about the URL stuff but you could easily setup a new
 printer entry in /etc/printcap using the enscript filter which will
 do what you want. I usually save the file to postscript first and
 then print through gv as that gives me lots of control over what
 actually  gets printed and what doesn't. I hate wasting paper.

   Chetan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: xdm,kdm or gdm problem
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:58:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Forged Identity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Warren,
>
> Could you be a little more specific... What Mandrake version? What
Kernel?
> What XFree86 version?
>
> The only thing I can tell you with the information that you supplied
is
> your need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config. (You can also use
XF86Setup
> and the slew of other utilities out there). Additionally you should
have a
> look at some of the debugging information that the X server gave you
when
> it crashed. Did it log anything in your syslog?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Warren wrote:
>
> > I recently lost the power to my Mandrake installation. When the
machine
> > came back up it didn't provide the xdm screen. It doesn't seem to be
> > starting the xserver either. Is there any easy way to
troubleshoot/fix
> > this?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >   Warren
>
> --
> |   Andre Guibert de Bruet   |
> | Unix Systems Administrator |
> | http://siliconlandmark.com |

boot in single user mode

LILO: linux -s

then goto mode 3, w/o windows:

init 3

login in as root.

then run

xdm -nodaemon -debug 1

( or do this xdm from a remote login in shell over a
network)

then trace the log files you get.

other than that, turning on the x server is handled in
/etc/inittab. see that file

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH 6.2: shutdown problem: Xfree86 crashes
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 17:03:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Mathes) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have problems to shut down my Redhat 6.2 installation.
>
> After launching the shutdown comand, the graphical login appears a
> second time.
>
> A few seconds later there are some error messages that the Xfree86
> server crashed.
> After this, both pc and monitor are switched off correctly.
>
> The error messages unfortunately are visible only for a few seconds,
> so I can't write
> them down and post them.
>
> Has anyone of you made the same experience when you shut down your PC?
>
> How can I fix this Xfree86 server problem?
>
> With kind regards
>
> Christian

Deactive the automatic initialization of xdm in /etc/inittab
(prefdm),

active the xdm from a remote shell as

xdm -debug 1 -nodaemon -error /var/log/xdm-errors.log

or whatever, and you will be able to ctrl-c to terminate
the process from a remote shell.

also, get all of the src rpms and recompile them. sometimes
that will help.

ericv

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fsck.ufs: Does it exist?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 17:00:32 GMT

Is there a fsck program for the ufs filesystems?

e.g. ....fsck.ufs...

I cannot added a line item in the /etc/fstab file,
even with 0 0 at the end, 'cause the system eventually
wants to check the filesystem!

Where is this program?

Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Setting up a Sound card / Setting up a standart modem in Corel LINUX OS
Deluxe
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 17:10:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Boomer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am running Corel Linux OS Deluxe.
>  Corel Linux is powered by the Debian Linux distribution
>  and a set of complimentary tools & utilities from GNU.
>
>  I tried to setup my Sound card.
>  Cannot get the Sound card to work!!!
>  Linux is not Initializing the sound card,
>  however Linux does detect the sound chip.
>  "ESS Chip ES1869 Detected"
>  I may need another sound card driver.
>  How do I config the sound card?
>  Below is the sound card Specifications.
>
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>   Sound card
>  Pine Technology USA
>  http://www.pineusa.com
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  Specifications: Chipset: ESS 1869
>  Recording & Playback: 16-bit stereo full duplex A/D and D/A
>  Sample Rates: 4KHz to 44.1KHz
>  Data Compression: ADPCM, ESPCM Audio compression
>  ESFM Synthesizer: 20 voice/72 operators
>                    (backward compatible with OPL3 FM synthesizer)
>  Volume Control: 6-bit (64 steps) software master volume control
>  Integrated CODEC: Full duplex monophonic mode/half
>    duplex stereo mode
>  3D Sound Effects: Integrated with Spatializer 3D stereo sound
> licensed from
>  Spatializer Audio Lab Inc.
>  Audio Inputs/Outputs: Input for Line-in,
>        Mic-in, plus output for stereo Speaker-out or Line-out
>  PC'97 Compliance Rev.1.0: Min 85db Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)
>                            for digital audio playback max 0.02%
>                            Total Harmonic Distortion (THR) for
>                            digital audio playback
>  Output Power Amp: 2 Watts per channel
>  Audio Mixer: 6-channel mixing
>  MIDI Interface: MPU401 (UART mode) support DUAL game port
>                  for joysticks or external MIDI
>  Compatibility: Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, Window Sound
> System,
>                 MPC, MPCII, AdLib
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  Hardware:
>  Standard 450 Mhz Intel system
>  with a 20GB & 8GB drives.
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  I am running Netscape and can also get my e-mail.
>  How do I download and install Netscape 6?
>  How do I download and install any software in Linux OS?
>  Is there any version of Microsoft Internet Explorer that works
> on Linux OS?
>  How do I setup internal PCI  ZOLTRIX  56K Modem on COM3?
>  Thank You
>  Bob Whitman
>  e-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Tel:         614-538-1598
>  Fax:        614-538-8187
>  1821 Willoway Circle North
>  Columbus, Ohio 43220
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

For the ESS cards, you will need to recompile the kernel.
in 2.2.14, this was an experimental option, so configure
the kernel w/o experimental, then go and turn on experimental
options, and activate the ess support.

I am running it on a compaq 1800xl laptop, and it seems to
work fine....or wait for future release in 2.4.x

good luck,

the job is not for the light at heart.

ericv

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Having a problem with tar.
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 17:14:44 GMT

This is no doubt an extremely simple problem to fix (I'm probably
forgetting something) but I'm stumped.

I have a tar file, created by a user, let say "webs", on one linux box.
This tar file then gets FTP'd through several machines (and several
firewalls) to a final destination machine. I then try to untar. The tar
file contains relative paths (relative to / on the source machine, eg.
home/webs/somedir/somefile). When I try to untar relative to / on the
destination machine it will not create directories that do not already
exist. For example, take the example above, if "somedir" doesn't exist,
it will not create it... unless I untar as root.

Sounds like a permission problem, right? Well, the original source files
were owned by "webs", the tar file is owned by "webs", the directory
"home/webs" (in which "somedir" should be created is owned (and read,
write, executable) by "webs". Only / is not read/write/executable by
webs, but it shouldn't have to be. If user "webs" manually creates the
directory "somedir", tar if perfectly happy untaring "somefile".

I've gotten this to work on other machines. The only difference I've
found is that the machine I'm interested in now runs tar version 1.12,
where the others are 1.13.x. Is this a version problem, or am I missing
something simpler? Past experience leads me to believe it's the latter.
=)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Christopher

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perfskool)
Subject: Capacity Planning Class
Date: 05 May 2000 17:26:46 GMT

The "Performance in the Valley" workshop series presents

         GUERILLA CAPACITY PLANNING
                -----------------------------
              AUGUST  20-24, 2000
              NOVEMBER 6-10, 2000

The Stanford WICS program has ended(*) but the highly successful
"Practical Performance Methods" course
http://wics.stanford.edu/courses/performance.html lives on in Castro
Valley, California at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Conveniently located in the eastern hills of the SF Bay Area within
close proximity of all three major cities (San Francsico, San Jose,
Oakland) and their respective airports. You can also take a 20 minute BART
ride (http://www.bart.org) into San Francisco or visit the Napa Valley
wine country (1 hour north by car).

Full class details and registration forms are available at:
http://members.aol.com/codynamo/guerilla.html
Breakfast, lunch, and coffee breaks are included in the price of admission.
We accept VISA and MASTERCARD.

You can also call Performance Dynamics Educational Serives at:
530-873-0575 or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more details.

Topics covered will include:
- Analysis of performance data
- Capacity planning methods
- System resource managers in AIX, HPUX, Solaris, and MVS
- Queueing theory for those who can't wait!
- Web server sizing and planning
- Internet performance issues
- Sizing for OLTP and DSS workloads
- Clusters, SMP and MPP scalability
- Actual case studies
- Review of performance management products

                   INSTRUCTOR
                   ----------
Dr. Neil J. Gunther, Performance Dynamics Consulting
        Author of THE PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE ANALYST
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0079129463/002-6465930-1288239

Attendees receive a copy of the book plus 500 pages of lecture notes.
We hope to see you there!

_______________________________
(*) After 25 years, Stanford University has decided (for reasons best
know to them) to discontinue all the WICS extension courses.
Consequently, the PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE METHODS class regularly
scheduled for August will now be held at the Castro Valley venue.

------------------------------

From: Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: good email client for Linux?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:28:45 -0400

On Fri, 05 May 2000 13:45:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
wrote:

>On Thu, 04 May 2000 17:46:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?
>
>Pine or elm. Your distribution probably came with at least one of these.

For an X GUI client you might also try xfmail.  It can be configured
to show you headers while the mail is still on the Pop server so you
can delete spam before downloading it.  The last time I used it the
editor wasn't the greatest, but it's okay for sending notes.  Don't
know about attachments.

For myself I'm getting by using Netscape 4.61 and using popcheck
from the command line.  Popcheck lets you check email headers
on the server so you can see who the mail is from and how big it
is, and delete msgs on the server if you like.  I tried to set up
xfmail on TurboLinux workstation 4.0 but I had version conflicts
with some X library it needs to make its widgets or something
so I gave up on it.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx