Linux-Misc Digest #377, Volume #19                Tue, 9 Mar 99 01:13:12 EST

Contents:
  Re: 2.2.2 and parport (Ajit Krishnan)
  Re: ADSL (houghi)
  Re: xosview and kernel 2.2.2 (Mike Romberg)
  Re: KDE? Gnome? ... confused (a)
  lastcomm prob. kernel 2.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Adding users and changing passwords (in scripts) ("JACK")
  Re: Oops-Error (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: Moving /home to /usr/home ("David Z. Maze")
  Re: Why did I have to use mkfs after fdisk ??????? (Paul Johnson)
  Serial mouse on laptop (David Heddle)
  Re: Moving /home to /usr/home (Bill Unruh)
  Upgrading kernel in Red Hat (Howard Mann)
  Re: Uh-oh, I've got kernel panic ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bad magic number in superblock: Help! ("JACK")
  Re: this aint a brag BUT!!! (David Kirkpatrick)
  Re: so, how is gnome 1.0, guys? <troll> (Christopher Browne)
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation (Rob Clark)
  Re: KDE? Gnome? ... confused (Ewan Dunbar)
  Re: damn bastards ("JACK")
  Re: No-Win Modem Situation ("Duane Smeckert")
  Problems unsing libz after compilation ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ajit Krishnan)
Subject: Re: 2.2.2 and parport
Date: 9 Mar 1999 00:31:17 GMT

Thank you,
  that worked perfectly

Ajit

Robert Lynch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Ajit Krishnan wrote:
: >
: > i'm having a problem with the parport and parport_pc modules with rh 5.2 (2.2.2)
: > if i compile them directly into the kernel, i am able to print without any problems
: > however, if i compile them as modules, then I can't print......
: > parport is loaded by modprobe and is used by lp
: > parport_pc is not loaded automatically (i can load it but it makes no difference)
: > the file queues without any problem....but the output of loq is "printer offline?"
: >
: > has anyone experienced something like this before?
: >
: > thanks
: >
: > ajit

: Try putting these lines in your /etc/conf.modules:

: alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
: options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

: Bob L.
: --
: Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: http://www.best.com/~rmlynch/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (houghi)
Subject: Re: ADSL
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:56:37 GMT

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:37:10 -0600, Mike Lawler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a Group for ADSL hardware under Linux?

Take a look at http://foobar.starlab.net/~soggie/turboline/pptp.html
Must say I was not yet able to get it working. If someone has more
info, please let it be known.

We have to use VPN here :-(

houghi - delete uh something, like, uh well uh, my return adres is not ok.
--
I am back, and I STILL don't like HTML on Usenet

------------------------------

From: Mike Romberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xosview and kernel 2.2.2
Date: 08 Mar 1999 16:40:36 -0700

    >> Brent Phillips wrote:

[snip]

    >> Yea you have to update to the newest XOSView...
     > And where can I find it (I've got the 1.6.1.a4) and all I could
     > find by a quick search at altavista and some ftp sites was not
     > better than 1.6.1.3.

  This is the latest version.  It should work with 2.2.2.  Linux-2.2.2
increased the size of the interrupts line in /proc/stat to a size
xosview could not handle.  This release should fix the problem.

Begin3
Title:          xosview
Version:        1.7.1
Entered-date:   25FEB99
                cpu usage, memory usage, swap usage, network usage,
                interrupt activity, serial activity, and load average
                inside of an X Window.
Author:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Romberg)
                [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Grayson)
Maintained-by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Romberg)
                [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Grayson)
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/status/xstatus
                136392 xosview-1.7.1.tar.gz
Alternate-site: http://lore.ece.utexas.edu/~bgrayson/xosview.html
Platforms:      Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD(alpha), HPUX, SunOS
Copying-policy: GPL, The BSD port uses some BSD derrived code which is BSD.
End

------------------------------

From: a <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.rpm,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: KDE? Gnome? ... confused
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:57:22 +0000

Michael Fleming wrote:

>From Redhat Linux Secrets 2nd edition by Naba Barkakati:
"The development of the X window system started in 1984 at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology under the auspices of the MIT Laboratory for Computer
Science and MIT/Project Athena."

I can't find the source at the moment, but I also read that W was a windowing system
developed before X. Some circumstantial evidence.... There is now a Y window system
being developed (http://www.hungry.com/products/Ywindows/).  W...X...Y.... You get
the idea.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: lastcomm prob. kernel 2.2
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:43:38 GMT

Hi,

I had lastcomm working okay with kernel 2.0.36 but now with kernel 2.2.1 and
2.2.2 it outputs something like:
?                      root     ??         0.00 secs Thu Jan  1 02:51
                       root     ??         0.00 secs Wed Dec 31 19:00
lastcomm               root     ??         0.00 secs Wed Dec 31 19:00
                       man      ??       503316.48 secs Sat Jan  3 01:36
                       root     ??       884736.18 secs Wed Mar 25 23:42
???6?                  root     ??       93061.44 secs Mon May 19 03:34
                       root     ??       37896071.19 secs Wed Dec 31 19:00
                       root     ??         0.00 secs Wed Dec 31 19:00
and gives segmentation fault at the end.

I'm using an up-to-date version of the Debian slink distribution with all
recommended upgrades for a kernel 2.2. I decided to upgrade the accounting
utilities to 6.3.5 but the problem still stays.

Does anyone have any ideas?

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding users and changing passwords (in scripts)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:24:34 -0000

once you added a user try
# passwd <new-user>
you will then be prompted with prompt saying "New Unix password" type in the
password then retype it at the next prompt and you should be flying.
jack

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oops-Error
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:43:58 +0000

Post the complete error message.

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moving /home to /usr/home
Date: 09 Mar 1999 00:29:43 -0500

jdw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
jdw> David Z. Maze scribbled manically:
 DZM> ...and /usr can (should?) be mounted read-only.
jdw>
jdw> Hmm.  What's the purpose of /usr/tmp, then?

Historical, same as /usr/spool, /usr/adm, and the like.  Modern
Applications (TM) should use the equivalent directories under /var,
except that /var/adm has gone away too *sigh*.

jdw> Certainly a tmp directory doesn't sound like something that
jdw> should be read-only.  This is an honest question, though...does
jdw> anything notable actually use /usr/tmp?  On my system (Slackware
jdw> 3.5), /usr/tmp is just a link to /var/tmp anyway.

Ideally, nothing should use those, and if something does then a
symlink to a writable partition is TRTTD.  My Debian box doesn't have
a /usr/tmp, for example, and that it has a /usr/etc seems to be a
packaging error.

(And I'm not maniacal.  Really.  Well, only on alternate Tuesdays.
But not today.  :-)

--
David Maze             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Johnson)
Subject: Re: Why did I have to use mkfs after fdisk ???????
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 11:26:22 +1030

It's all been made clear now. Obviously when I've done this in the past,
the disk has already been formatted (as a FAT32 or whatever).

Cheers

Paul

--
remove nospamforme from address

------------------------------

From: David Heddle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Serial mouse on laptop
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:08:14 GMT

Hello,

I have RH5.1 running on a DELL Inspiron 3000. The touchpad works just
fine under X. Recently I purchased a serial mouse (Microsoft "basic"
mouse) and would like to get it to work simultaneously with the touch
pad (as it does under Windows). Does anyone know how to do this?

Let me thank you in advance for any help.

David Heddle

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 8 Mar 1999 22:55:17 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>> gbh> I'd like to move my /home directory to /usr/home and would like
>> gbh> to know the correct way to do it and what problems this may
>> gbh> create.
>>
>> (Why?  The general idea with /usr is that it's data that doesn't
>> change unless you reinstall or upgrade your distribution, with the
>why do you allocate more space than you do for /var, /home,
>and /usr/local? It seems that once you install it, /usr would
>not need any more than the few hundred MBs used for installation.

Look it is your disk. fill it the way you want to. There is nothing that
will break because of the way you want to do it. HIs is also a
philosophy of disk usage. None are "right" just as some people store the
vacuum cleaner in the hall closet, and some in the basement closet.
Neither are wrong. If it is more convenient for you to have home under
/usr, go ahead and do it. My /usr changes all the time as I add and take
away programs, etc. This is not an issue to fight a religeous war over.

------------------------------

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrading kernel in Red Hat
Date: 9 Mar 1999 04:53:23 GMT

Hi all,

I am currently using an "unmodified" Red Hat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.32.
I wish to upgrade to kernel 2.0.36.I would appreciate your comments
concerning the relative merits/demerits of the following two approaches:

1. Download and install the RPM's of the  kernel and modules from the 5.0
 updates directory.Edit /etc/lilo.conf appropriately. Make new bootdisk with
new kernel. Remove old kernel/modules RPM's after verifying that new kernel
 works.

2. Obtain Red Hat 5.2 CD and choose " upgrade" option.

At this time, I do not need to recompile my kernel.

Howard Mann
http://www.xmission.com/~howardm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Uh-oh, I've got kernel panic
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:22:41 GMT

On 8 Mar 1999 17:37:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In his obvious haste, [EMAIL PROTECTED] babbled thusly:
>: Now, I realize that I may have screwed everything on my Linux partition, but I
>: would rather recover it, if possible.  Any help?
>
>: My questions, then:
>: 1. How can I repair the damage I've done/at least boot my old Linux partition?
>
>If you created new partitions, chances are, they have renamed all your old
>ones, so hda5 will now be hda7, etc...

I've never known linux to move partitions around like that...

>If you boot up with your rescue disk, you'll be able to edit your /etc/fstab
>file to correct the mount points.
>
>: 2. How do I format the Linux native/Linux swap partitions?
>
>Fdisk should do that.

fdisk to create a swap partition mkswap to format it swapon to use it

>: 3. How do I get Lilo to recognize the new partitions?
>
>The fstab fix SHOULD fix your other problems.
>I think.

edit /etc/lilo.conf to point to the new kernel image and make sure
your append="root=/dev/newrootpartition"

>: 4. How do I get Linux to mount the new partitions automatically?
>
>fstab.

got this one right at least

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad magic number in superblock: Help!
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:41:51 -0000

howdy
i suspect that you have an error in your  fstab, ie you are trying to mount
an msdos fs as ext2
    ok first you need to boot to single user mode at the lilo prompt type
your kernel name and then init 1 ie
<linux init 1>
when the machine boots you will be in single user mode at a bash prompt.
check your fstab for any thing odd!!!
also set the dump and fsckorder (the last two fields in the fstab ) to 0 in
all but the /  partition (true root)
hope this works
james"jack"wynne
p.s if this dose not work read the fsck man for restoring the super block

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: this aint a brag BUT!!!
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:51:58 +0000

Jack,
  Congratulations - stuff dos in there for a Gourmet dog
biscuit.  Looks like your cruising for membership in LILO
Anonymous.  How can the disk spin at all with the extra weight of
all those OS's?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: so, how is gnome 1.0, guys? <troll>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:17:16 GMT

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:15:13 GMT, steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[Posted & mailed, snipped, quoted is ">"]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) wrote:
>
>>A nice panel, nice configurability, very good looks, some small apps
>>(gncal, gEdit etc.) that are really great, more big great apps coming
>>up.
>
>Sorry, this is going to sound stupid, but after trying KDE basically I
>quit paying any attention to the talk about gnome.  I'm currently
>running fvwm2 with ktdesk.  Not sure if ktdesk is its name; since I
>gave my Linux box away I've been in a dual-boot situation again until
>I get some chassis modifications made on the for-crap Packard-Bell
>system that I'm building as my new Linux-box.  Anway, I haven't run
>Linux lately since I'm mostly doing things that NT is already set up
>for.  So having made a short story long, this may be stupid to ask,
>but does gnome have its own window-manager, or does it run under
>whatever one is "it"?  Do apps change in any particular way when
>running under gnome, for example would the gimp look and act the same
>with the same window decorations etc?

GNOME can run under whatever wm is "it."

The GNOME Control Panel has a "module" for configuring GTk "themes,"
which allows you to make GTk-based applications all display differently
based on the "theme" that you request.

>>> Is it a fat pig like KDE,
>>
>>I did some memory statistics recently, it consumes far less memory
>>than KDE in a similar situation. To be more concrete: with exactly
>>equivalent applications running, KDE with kwm consumes 53,196 KB of
>>memory with an RSS of 8,340 KB, while Gnome with FLWM only uses 35,612
>>KB with an RSS of 4,884 KB.
>
><sigh>  Only 35meg.  Well, moving right along...

That's either much better or a little better or "pretty awful" depending
on whether you're running (respectively) a machine with either moderate,
much, or little memory.

To be sure, these "environments" are going to have a certain degree of
RAM overhead.

>> Note that Gnome with
>>Enlightenment, while still smaller than KDE, is significantly worse.
>
>What does "significanly worse" mean in english please?  Slower,
>uglier, less reliable, more likely to burn your eggs, what?

If you run GNOME with Enlightenment as the WM, that burns quite a lot of
memory.  Not as much as KDE, but significantly more than if you use a
much smaller wm (such as flwm).

>>And note that I compiled Gnome for maximum speed and not for minimum
>>memory usage (i.e. I did -O7 -march=pentium).
>
>Frankly it seems to me that one should be able to compile something
>that provides the level of functionality you're describing for maximum
>speed and still have it come out smaller than 35meg, but what I don't
>know about Linux and X would fill a small encyclopedia.

Enlightenment likes to buffer things.  It likes that really a lot.  It
wouldn't mind chewing up 20-30MB of memory on you.

That's pretty unbelievably much; consider that this represents maybe $30
worth of RAM, which is worth only a small fraction of the value of a
high-powered graphics card.

Enlightenment is meant for people that have *real* powerful machines and
RAM to burn...

>>> or does it really work with actual
>>> working GUI?  Ready to throw away emacs because xemacs is so hot under
>>> gnome?
>>
>>Huh? What is so hot about XEmacs under Gnome? As far as I know, it is
>>not the least bit Gnome aware - though there is an Esound-aware patch
>>I am aware of :).
>
>I was making a joke.  Obviously it flopped.

GNOME comes with several additional text editors, much as KDE adds some.
I really don't understand why...

>>> Other boasts or horror stories to tell?
>>>
>>> Yeah I know, I could go to the gnome site and check it for myself, but
>>> having installed KDE it's not clear to me that I want a graphic-mode
>>> user interface enough to deal with that level of pain again.
>>
>>Try Gnome, you won't be deceived. The actual directory tree of Gnome
>>is smaller, too.
>
>I wasn't deceived when I tried KDE, just disappointed.  It did however
>provide an opportunity to learn a little about building stuff from
>source on Linux so it wasn't wasted time.
>
>To summarize, what gnome provides is?
>
>>A nice panel, nice configurability, very good looks, some small apps
>>(gncal, gEdit etc.) that are really great, more big great apps coming
>>up.
>
>A configurable panel-thing that's pretty.  What does the panel
>control?  Is it like YaST and the non-working RedHat X-based
>rpm-manager?

The panel provides:

a) A menu bar not unlike what you get with TkDesk, arguably a little
more sophisticated.

b) The ability to embed some "applets" in it, and about 20 sample
applets.  Clocks, cute graphical thingies, monitors of network/ modem/
diskspace/ several-other-things, and a couple that let you enter
URLs/commands to be passed on to Netscape or Midnight Commander.

I don't think this stuff much matters until people start producing some
CORBA services such as a "calendar server," a "address card server," and
some of the object embedding (e.g. - Baboon), and until the system
starts exporting APIs so that GNOME applications start getting
scriptable.

Right now it's a bunch of moderately-pretty applications, and the
promise of more to come.

--
Linux is obsolete
(Andrew Tanenbaum)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:31:00 GMT

In article <z0ZE2.5985$xv.50028778@WReNphoon2>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Any of the Diamond Supra series modems, *except* the
>Supra Max, should be usable under Linux.  I am using a
>Supra Express 56i and it works just fine once you
>configure it with isapnptools and add setserial to
>your bootup.

Sorry, not any more-- they are calling some of the PCI winmodems "Supra
Express."  So that rule of thumb won't work. :(

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html  <-- Linux/modem compat. list

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.rpm,linux.redhat.misc
From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:22:13 -0500

AFAIK, there wasn't a "Y" involved. Every time I've heard anything, it was
that X was the successor to W. This would make sense, since X follows W in
the alphabet.

Eastman: He came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing RANDO!
Ewan Dunbar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://earl.thedunbars.com/pmah/index.html

------------------------------

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: damn bastards
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 01:09:45 -0000

no what really bugs me is......
    that burger buns only come in six packs by the time you come to the end
they have gone stale!!
    that Robin Williams version of improv is to do the same thing over and
over "spontaneously" grrrh!!!
    that dentists fill your mouth with gauze and medieval torture implements
and then say "nice weather where having" ..." did you see the game last
night" "what do you work at now". <twitch,twitch egggh!!!>
    that on bank holidays there is always one prick on the motorway going 20
mph in a 1972 datsun cherry pulling an equally antiquated caravan thats
droping debris all over the road and he is impossible to overtake <oh killl
kill KILL KILLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!>

but i normally keep this vented up until i go to therapy so I'm not
bothering all the people on Usenet with these rantings

From: "Duane Smeckert" <root@localhost>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:09:54 -0800

There is a simple way.  It is a good way.
Make sure that the modem can be configured
by jumpers.  As far as I know, ALL winmodems
are also Plug-N-Pray modems.

Win modems are a result of modem companies
being too cheap to make modems.  Instead
of designing a modem, they buy an off the shelf design,
and slap their name on it.  It's not good for the company.
Hayes Bankruptcy sale starts on St. Pattys  day. Check out
    http://www.eamllc.com/calendar.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problems unsing libz after compilation
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 05:58:02 GMT

Hello all,

I'm trying to use libz-1.1.3 as a shared library and I get all sorts of
problems. There seems to be a problem for the linker to find the names of the
procedures defined in the archives. This is what file gives:

libz.so:       symbolic link to libz.so.1.1.3
libz.so.1:     symbolic link to libz.so.1.1.3
libz.so.1.1.3: ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386 Version 1

This is what ldd says:

libz.so:
        statically linked
libz.so.1:
        statically linked
libz.so.1.1.3:
        statically linked

I don't understand it. If anyone can explain it to me, please do!

/lib/ld.so: version 1.9.9
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
GNU ld 2.9.1

--
Penguin Power!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]