Linux-Misc Digest #377, Volume #21               Thu, 12 Aug 99 19:13:17 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hard link (toby)
  Re: Newbie Q: Out of mem when make dep (Gary Momarison)
  I need Quicken and Outlook replacements for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  neaten some simple scripts...{new to these things} ("Nevyn")
  Printing to the printer from a C-Program ("Norm Dresner")
  Viewing bootup messages RH 5.2 (Warren Bell)
  Re: CD-ROM not playing audio CDs (Rick Gaudette)
  Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: Printing to the printer from a C-Program (Coy A Hile)
  Re: renames /usr/lib to something else (Timothy J. Lee)
  Re: My executable script won't! (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: "starve the rotten little bastards" ("A.T.Z.")
  Re: Help for Shared Vedio Memory. ("Norm Dresner")
  Lilo in swap partition (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Ad-blocking software? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: mount -t  vfat  /dev/hda1  /mnt (Chris Mahmood)
  "serial line is looped back"? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Organizer on Linix compatible with Sun Calendar Manager (Harold Stevens **
PLEASE SEE SIG **)
  Re: Need X-Windows help (resolution size) (MoHoel)
  Re: SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob ("Roberto Oriol")
  Re: Lilo in swap partition (Leonard Evens)
  Re: prinitng a man page ("Noah Roberts (jik-)")
  ATI RAGE PRO (Dave)

From: toby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard link
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:48:32 -0400

Paul Kimoto wrote:

> What is "/bin/.."?  Is it different from "/home/mydir/bintools/.."?
>
> --
> Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

/bin is /bin and /home/mydir/bintools would be the hard link to it
created by

shell$ ln /bin /home/mydir/bintools

Which you can't do, because it will mung the file system.

toby

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Out of mem when make dep
From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Aug 1999 10:05:12 -0700

"Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi.

Lo.

> Before I ask the difficult question (for me) I want to ask an easy question.
>
> How do I enable "scroll-back" in a normal tty terminal?
>
> I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5
>
> Installing it was too easy.  I didn't learn anything.  You can only learn
> when you struggle with things.
>
> So I want to re-ask my above question in a different way:  How do I find out
> for myself where do I enable scroll-back in a text terminal window?

What's that?  What's "normal"?  A standard tty (teletype) terminal
doesn't support scroll-back as far as I know.

Do you mean what Linuxers call a Virtual Console (VC)?  They are
implemented by the program started for its "tty device" in /etc/inittab.
On my system it's /sbin/mingetty, so I'd expect your answer to be in the
mingetty man page.  But there's almost nothing there.  It's probably a
variation on some other terminal emulation program which they assume you
know about.  You could try reading the man pages of all of the other
"*getty" programs and the "SEE ALSO" references.  The answer probably
won't be there but you learn a lot of other stuff that you (or someone
else) will need down the road.  You might find the answer in a good book
on Unix.  But you probably ask someone, like on a NG!

For an "xterm" or similar emulator, read the man page and search for
"scroll" to find your answer.

A couple of tools for finding info are: "man -k string" which looks
for "string" in the headers (titles?) of man pages.  Get your "locate"
command working (the database is usually constructed from a "cron" job
in the middle of the night).  Learn the "info" command, best from within
Emacs.  It has a couple useful search commands.  There are some other
ideas in http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/general-docs.html

> Another thing:
>
> I edited the /etc/issue file to add a legal notice / warning before login.
> It worked immediately, untill I rebooted the machine, at which time it
> reverted to the original message.  The /etc/issue file was back to what it
> was before I modified it.

/etc/rc.d/rc.local rewrites it at boot.

> Now I want to add support for my Olicom Token Ring network card.  OK, the
> docs says I must compile it into the kernel as a loadable module.  From
> reading the docs, I gather that's a contradiction in terms, but terminology
> is not my problem now.

One must at least compile-in support for the module (not the module).  Or you
may compile-in the (not (un)loadable) module.

> Great - my wonderfull distribution of Red Hat came without GCC.  But I found
> it on one of the CDs, unzipped it, noticed it's only the binaries, un-tared
> these.  Kewl the files are now in their correct locations, eg. gcc-2.8.1 is
> in /usr/bin

Your wonderful (sic) distribution came with GCC; you might not have
installed it.  I think you should try to install the gcc and gcc-devel
RPMs.  I would hope that the stuff you've already installed from tar
files will get overwritten or not hurt anything.  You could first remove
every file installed by the tar file (rm $(tar tzvf xxx.tar.gz)) but
that is risky since it might remove files that were there before you
intalled from the tar file.

You don't need more memory or swap.

> P.S.  I don't mind reading the docs, but there are so many of them.  English
> is a second language to me, so this is taking a while.  Hope my spelling and
> grammar isn't too bad.

Your English is better than most of the Linux-related stuff I've read.  You
probably were taught English in school, while we were expected to have
learned it from our parents.  We watched movies of the "classic" novels,
read poetry, and discussed "interpretation" in our English classes.
Oh - and we occasionally wrote reports based on Cliff-notes to prove we
had read the book.  No one dared damage our self-esteem by criticizing
our English.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I need Quicken and Outlook replacements for Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:31:41 GMT

I need to locate descent Quicken and Outlook replacements for Linux.
Does anyone know if Inuit is developing a Linux version?

Gilbert

From: "Nevyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: neaten some simple scripts...{new to these things}
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:20:03 +0100

i have 2 scripts set up to cheack for new users every so often, the
point is i want to make them into just one scipt....the contents of the
scripts are below, if anyone has any suggestions plase mail them to
me,..
script 1 -passwd

echo report login names
echo ============================
echo date +%m-%y
echo ============================
echo Name-UID-Description
echo
cut -f 1,3,5 -d: /etc/passwd | sed -e 's/:/ - /'

script 2 -passwd.renew

mv -f passwd.current passwd.prev
./passwd > passwd.current
mv passwd.added passwd.added'date +%m%y'
diff passwd.current passwd.prev > passwd.added

im using SuSE 6.1 and i guess all i really want to know is how to print
the echo's as well as the command in the first script into a file from
within the second script.......i think....any ideas about neatening it
up will also be welcome....i'm new at this

*************************************
**  "yurtta sula cihanda sula"  **
*************************************

------------------------------

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Printing to the printer from a C-Program
Date: 12 Aug 1999 20:46:58 GMT

I need to write a c-program to print to the "default" printer which is
usually (and the Printing-HOWO confirms this) denoted as the device "lp".
But /proc/lp contains no device lp.  The printer is installed and working.
I can print from a file with the "lp  <filename>" command and if I
explicitly code the device name "/dev/lp0" into the program it will also
print correctly.

The main question is how can I tell if any printer is installed from a
c-program and what to call it when I open it for writing?

        Thanks

                Norm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:33:21 -0700
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viewing bootup messages RH 5.2

What file stores the boot up messages, like:

starting amd: amd
starting httpd: httpd
starting sendmail: sendmail
etc..

I'm seeing a couple messages that I want to check out but they're going
by too fast.

Warren Bell
--
####### Remove ERASE to reply #######

------------------------------

From: Rick Gaudette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: CD-ROM not playing audio CDs
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:26:43 -0400

Thanks Doug,

That was it.

Rick

------------------------------

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem
Date: 12 Aug 1999 20:41:06 GMT

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=25
linear
verbose=3
disk=/dev/hda
        sectors=63
        heads=64
        cylinders=787
disk=/dev/hdb
        sectors=63
        heads=32
        cylinders=524
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        alias=rtlinux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        alias=msdos
        table=/dev/hda

The line that reads "linear" tells LILO to address the HD "linearly" and
forgo LBA addressing.  The two sections for the geometry of the two
different disks should be self-explanatory.  Most users can get the
information from their CMOS BIOS on bootup.

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Coy A Hile)
Subject: Re: Printing to the printer from a C-Program
Date: 12 Aug 1999 16:59:00 -0400

In article <01bee503$ae130fe0$9eec4e0c@nilrem>,
Norm Dresner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I need to write a c-program to print to the "default" printer which is
>usually (and the Printing-HOWO confirms this) denoted as the device "lp".
>But /proc/lp contains no device lp.  The printer is installed and working.
>I can print from a file with the "lp  <filename>" command and if I
>explicitly code the device name "/dev/lp0" into the program it will also
>print correctly.
>
>The main question is how can I tell if any printer is installed from a
>c-program and what to call it when I open it for writing?

why not execute a system call to lpr.  alternatively, if the printer is
directly connected to the network (through HP JetDirect) you can send the
raw data (preferably postscript) to port 9100 on the printer :)

Coy

--
Coy Hile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy J. Lee)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: renames /usr/lib to something else
Date: 12 Aug 1999 21:49:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
|I made a mistake in renaming /usr/lib to /usr/lib.bak and I can't run
|any command (ls, mkdir, mv etc.) even after I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
|to /usr/lib.bak. It always tries to find /usr/lib/ld.so.1. Please help.

On Solaris:  see if the stuff in /sbin and /usr/sbin/static can
help you.  Otherwise, boot from CD-ROM.

On Linux:  it depends on whether you have enough statically linked
utilities around.  If not, boot from CD-ROM or floppy.

Timothy J. Lee                                                   timlee@
Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My executable script won't!
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:04:06 -0400

Suddn wrote:

> I have made a script to start my IP Masq. and have used "chmod 755
> <filename>" to make it executable.  But when I type the name of the script
> it tells me that "The command is not found!"
>
> I can type all of the lines in a shell with no errors and IP Masq. then
> works.  I just want to automate the process.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

./name-of-script

or add cwd to your PATH

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: "A.T.Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: "starve the rotten little bastards"
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:36:07 +0200

Richard Kulisz schreef:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.T.Z. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Richard Kulisz schreef:
> >> Currently. Under your proposed system, would they just starve to death?
> >
> >No.
>
> Then would they be murdered? Would forced sterilization avoid the
> issue entirely? Would they be handed over as slave labourers? Do
> tell, what *is* your solution?

I don't think you want to know.

> >> No, it isn't your problem, or No, that's not what you believe?
> >
> >Not my problem.
>
> Oh, but it is. Being an amoral unfeeling selfish monster doesn't
> negate your responsabilities, it just means you reject them.

I have my own responsabilities. Should I also take it for others??

> >> What the bloody hell are you talking about? Because I sure wasn't talking
> >> about the *current* system in the Netherlands, I was talking about the
> >> changes you want to make to it. Something along the lines of "And perhaps
> >> they shouldn't get money at all."
> >
> >Everything told till now is the SYSTEM HOW IT WORKS AT THIS MOMENT in The
>
> That is *obviously* not the case. "should" can never be simply a
> statement of fact.

How would you know. You don't and I think you don't even care if it would work
very good. Admit it: you want things to go exactly you're way.

> >Netherlands. Like it or not. And yes, the system needs to be evaluated,
> >just like
> >any system needs to be evaluated after some time.
> >If someone chooses to stop working why should he/she get money. And no,
>
> Because they're human beings?

HUH

> Because they deserve dignity?

HUH

> Because
> they *should* have the choice to stop working

They can, if they have enough money on the bank, or in (solid) investments.

> instead of being
> compelled by the threat of starvation to whore themselves?! Ahhh,
> but none of these things are *you* concern, are they??

No. It's their own choiche.

> >if someone
> >gets ill it's not a free choiche.
>
> And if they get fired then that obviously was a free choice.

Did I say that? Do I really have to spell it out for you??

> If the
> Federal Reserve Board or Central Bank decide that there just isn't
> enough unemployment to maintain a downward pressure on wages then
> that is also obviously a free choice.

What are you talking about.

> Free choice is an illusion;
> learn about reality as it actually is sometime.

Free choiche is not an illusion. If you don't think you have the freedom to
choose then that's you're problem, not mine.

------------------------------

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help for Shared Vedio Memory.
Date: 12 Aug 1999 20:50:47 GMT

Try limiting the memory that Linux uses by putting a line like

        append="mem=56M"

That's not exact, it's from memory.  Look in the LILO doc in /usr/doc

        Norm

Jun Zhuang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7ouovh$chm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lilo in swap partition
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:57:28 -0500

I asked about the following matter.  The Lilo User's
Guide says you can't put the lilo boot loader in a
Linux swap partition.  But that was how my VA Research
machine was set up.  I answered my own question by
looking at the man page for mkswap.   There are two
ways to format the swap partition oldstyle and newstyle.
Under newstyle the first sector is not affected thus
allowing one to put a boot loader there.  One formats
it this way with
mkswap -v1
By default, mkswap will use oldstyle.

I don't know if anyone else is concerned about this,
but it did puzzle me.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ad-blocking software?
Date: 12 Aug 1999 01:20:03 -0700

Check out www.junkbusters.com.  It's very flexible and free.

> (Is this the best newsgroup to be asking this question in?
Until comp.os.linux.ad.blocking.software.like.atguard.or.intermute is
formed it is.
> I studied the hierarchy pretty carefully, and none of the
> others seemed more appropriate, but you never know....)
You are a gentleman and a scholar.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mount -t  vfat  /dev/hda1  /mnt
Date: 12 Aug 1999 01:14:21 -0700

"Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Any suggestion   if  it is wrong  command        mount -t  vfat  /dev/hda1
> /mnt
> I tred to mount to different directories SAME  massage
> "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>      or too many mounted file systems"
Is anything already mounted in /mnt?  Are you sure it's a vfat
filesystem?  Try 'auto' instead.  Most distributions set up mount
points like /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom, etc.  I'd suggest making a
directory called 'dos' or whatever and mounting it there.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: "serial line is looped back"?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:00:46 -0400

Hello!

Trying to get ppp going in RedHat v. 6.0 and some progress is being made
but just after I get the message (peering through 'tail -f
/var/log/messages') that 'connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0', the error
message:

'serial line is looped back'

appears, and the would-be connection is terminated.

I need a clue here.

F.

      Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     - insert standard doxastic disclaimers -
     OS/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Subject: Re: Organizer on Linix compatible with Sun Calendar Manager
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:38:41 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jozef Dodziuk:
|> Sven Ole Skrivervik:
|> > I'm running a Linux laptop on my desk and want to be able to view  my
|> > calendar which is on a Sun server using the standard calendar manager
|> > that exists under Solaris. Does anyone out there know of a calendar tool
|> > running on Linux 2.2 that can talk to the Solaris calendar server
|> > (rpc.cmsd)??

[Snip...]

|> If Xwindow runs on your laptop, any program running on the Sun can use
|> your laptop for its display.

[Snip...]

Yes; I do this routinely, including Sun's mailtool as well as their calendar
manager, and news via xrn on an office SGI (where I keep articles archived).
No need to worry about docking/synchronizing my laptop! Even on 33.6 dialups
the response is OK for casual email/news, and simple(r) schedules IMHO. Once
the basic GUI framework is sent over the line (a minute or two for the three
I mentioned) most of the network traffic is lighter blocks of text placed in
the GUI window dressing on the laptop. Windows obscured are restored quickly
enough for my purposes, even from their iconized forms.

Other than the interactive speed and ergonomics, it acts the same the Xterms
at the office.

I do *not* suggest this for Netscape, xv, etc. They need more bandwidth than
a lighter network traffic of smaller text blocks, and seemingly much heavier
graphics update structures sent dynamically. It's smarter to run them native
on the laptop (which does the dynamic GUI updates locally) and limit network
traffic for them to the interesting data (JPEG, tarballs, etc.). All this is
a useful compromise: less interactive speed for more security and convenient
centralized archives. IMHO; YMMV.   :)

Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens)     ** IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO **

1. As antispam, I have completely disabled my "adam" email account.
2. Please vent inconvenience at Cyberpromo and their Satanic spawn.
3. Please look for (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. NO UCE/UBE.
4. I detest UCE/UBE. I support CAUCE; http://www.cauce.org HR 1748.

Standard Disclaimer: My opinions, and not Raytheon Systems Company.

------------------------------

From: MoHoel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need X-Windows help (resolution size)
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:30:53 GMT

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned to be sure and use the "+/-"
keys on the numeric keypad.  I was using the ones on the row of number
keys above the letters (in vain!) for days before I read that somewhere...

Hope it helps!

Patrick M. Geahan wrote:

> Jason Nugent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Well, I've had about 4days of experience after installing LINUX on my
P300
> : at home (now a dual boot w/ Win98)
> : I've put about four hours into just trying to get X-Windows working.
We're

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Roberto Oriol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:34:42 -0500

Look for the message "startx fails on RedHat 6.0"  inmediatly above and post
your results

Good Luck

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo in swap partition
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:28:29 -0500

William Burkett wrote:

> Leonard Evens wrote:
>
> > I asked about the following matter.  The Lilo User's
> > Guide says you can't put the lilo boot loader in a
> > Linux swap partition.  But that was how my VA Research
> > machine was set up.  I answered my own question by
> > looking at the man page for mkswap.   There are two
> > ways to format the swap partition oldstyle and newstyle.
> > Under newstyle the first sector is not affected thus
> > allowing one to put a boot loader there.  One formats
> > it this way with
> > mkswap -v1
> > By default, mkswap will use oldstyle.
>
> That seems to explain why you CAN put the boot loader in the swap
> partition, but what I'm wondering is why you would WANT to.  Can you
> think of any advantage to setting things up this way?

First, let me note that VA Research did it this way, and I
can't read their minds, but they presumably felt they had
good reasons.

But I can think of one reason.  One may want to change the
MBR as little as possible.   In particular with dual NT/Linux
machines, putting lilo in the MBR usually (but not always)
makes NT unbootable.  That is why the NT+Linux-loader miniHOWTO
suggests using the NT boot loader to boot both NT and Linux.
But putting lilo somewhere else circumvents this difficulty
if the somewhere else is made the active partition.   In my
case, I have two disks with Linux on the second disk.  Since
I have Windows 95 rather than NT, they could have put lilo
in the MBR of the first disk.  But given they had a prediliction
to avoid the MBR, they needed a Linux partition on the first
disk in which to put lilo, so they decided to put Linux swap
there.

One can argue that all this is superfluous for Windows.  But
given that Microsoft has a tendency not to be a cooperative
player, it could happen that upgrades of Windows would take
over the MBR, as is apparently the case for NT.  So at least
in principle, one is safer to avoid using the MBR for lilo.
Indeed anti-Microsoft paranoia would suggest that Microsoft
would stake a claim to the MBR just in order to make dual
boot Windows/Linux machines more difficult to set up and use.
After all, they own our computers, don't they? :-)

Of course one can avoid the whole matter by giving the
whole machine to Linux, but I am not quite ready to do that
yet.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

Subject: Re: prinitng a man page
From: "Noah Roberts (jik-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Aug 1999 15:29:01 -0700

"Mahmood Ezad Butt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What command do we give to print a man page ???

man -t manpage | lpr

That is if you have PS filtering working correctly.

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: ATI RAGE PRO
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:30:53 GMT

Am using SuSe 6.1 which lists ATI Rage Pro as unsupported but i have
configured linux/xserver to use the driver for ATI Mach 64 which seems ok
but my screen looks to be thining at one end am i imagining it? or is
there a driver fo the ATI Rage Pro. Many thanks from a newbie.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com