Linux-Misc Digest #424, Volume #19               Fri, 12 Mar 99 08:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: SuSE 6.0 feelings please. (Sitaram Chamarty)
  PPP won't hang up - how do i time out? ("Richard Hitchell")
  Real Audio ? (root)
  My thanks to all -- You've been Great! ("Benjamin Sher")
  ALSA and 2.2.* (Felix)
  Re: AOL Instant Messanger for UNIX (Justin The Cynical)
  Re: Kernel NFS Problem; device busy (Sid Boyce)
  Re: Public license question (Tim Smith)
  Missing include files (Andrew Bell)
  Re: Public license question (Tim Smith)
  .bz2??? what is it? (Keith Davey)
  remote printing ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  NT-Backup-Tapes under Linux (Kai Schnabel)
  Sound card probleme (derriedo)
  Re: How to patch a Kernel? (Frank Riha)
  Re: COBOL compiler for Linux? (Frank Riha)
  Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows (Raymond N Shwake)
  redhat rpm (Stephen Rowe)
  Re: Linux setup (Phil)
  Re: Partition Software Recommendation? (Artur Yelchishchev)
  Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix (Mark Tranchant)
  Re: Newbie, URGENT QUESTIONS ("Karl Bengtsson")
  Red Hat questions ("Karl Bengtsson")
  STAROFFICE 5.0 FilterUpdate! ("Benjamin Sher")
  Re: cd player similar to KDE's. . . (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Help: No man in Debian 2.1? ("David Z. Maze")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.0 feelings please.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:39:13 GMT

On 10 Mar 1999 20:33:33 -0500, David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Keith Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>-> I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed SuSE
>-> 6.0.  What do you think of the product?  How would you compare it to
>-> other distros like RedHat 5.2 and so forth.
>
>I had SuSE 5.3 which I thought was pretty good.  I only upgraded to
>6.0 because I wanted to go to a glibc system and catch any bugfixes in

Have they finally gotten around to making dhcpcd a part of the
installation?  That's what turned me completely off SuSE 5.2 - I
could deal with it (install dhcpcd, patch a few files in /etc and
/sbin), but it's impossible to evangelise Linux to Windoze folks
in a DHCP environment without this support!

------------------------------

From: "Richard Hitchell" <richard.hitchellatttabconnectors.com>
Subject: PPP won't hang up - how do i time out?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:38:17 -0000

Hi,     I am running redhat 5.1 and am in the process of automating my email
send/recieve.  The problem is this ...
I fire up ppp using /etc/ppp/ip-up.local - it dials isp - send recieves
email
but then I cannot get it to hang up!! (using ./ifdown-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 &)

The only way I can find of doing it is with
kill -HUP `cat /var/lockLCK..modem`

But this is no good if the line is busy.  Does anybody know how I set a
timeout to 1 minute and then drop the connection?

Any help greatly appreciated

This is my ip-up.local script

#!/bin/sh
#modified 4/3/99
#
# These lines are added to log any messages generated to user1/log
exec >/user1/log/ip-up-log
exec 2>&1
#
date
#
# activate the ppp connection - dial demon internet using pap authentication
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
./ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 &
#
# send batched mail (anything in ~alias/pppdir) to demon post (smtp) server
/usr/local/bin/maildirsmtp ~alias/pppdir alias-ppp- post.demon.co.uk
abconnectors
#
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
./ifdown-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 &
#
# End of file

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Real Audio ?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:46:34 -0800

Hello,

Does anyone know whwere I might be able to get Real Audio or
a similar program that will allow me to listen to all my favourite
sites??

The G2 costs like $150 bucks, I want GNU !!!!

Anyways, thanks in advance and have a nice session.

Warren

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My thanks to all -- You've been Great!
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:11:55 GMT

Dear friends:

My thanks to all of you who have written to me either personally or on the
pages of the linux. advocacy newsgroup. You've all been extremely generous
with your time and expertise. An incredible support group. I should be
getting my Linux within a few days. Also bought a UPS battery (APC) and,
due to the fabulous and extraordinarily knowledgable, professional advice I
have gotten from the Linux community, on this and other Linux newsgroups, I
feel a lot more prepared and confident that I can handle it. Of course, I
am also preparing myself actively by reading and reading..

Thank you all!
--
Benjamin Sher
Sher's Russian Web & Index

From: Felix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ALSA and 2.2.*
Date: 12 Mar 1999 11:52:48 GMT

i have problem with alsa sound driver.  on 2.0.* kernels it worked
fine and audio buffer was always 128k, but now, with the new 2.2.*,
it sometimes 128 and sometimes only 64k (and nothing but reboot
can give me a chance to see 128 again). maybe anybody here can
tell me, how to solve this problem, and what is the reason for it?

Thanks,
Felix.

___
please remove one x in Felixx for emailing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Subject: Re: AOL Instant Messanger for UNIX
Date: 12 Mar 1999 12:00:16 GMT

On 10 Mar 1999 23:54:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
->In his obvious haste, eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
->: Hi,
->
->: I was wondering if AOL Instant messanger for unix will work with
->: Linux, more specific, Slackware 3.6?
->
->Is it available as source code, so it can be compiled for Linux?

        Yes and no.  :-)  The AIM client for Linux/*NIX is written in
TCL/TK 8.0, which means it's a script of sorts.  The client is viewable with
less, as it is just a plain text file/script.  What this means is that no, you
don't have to compile anything, and yes, the download is an executable.  I am
using it here on my home box, and it works nicely.

        Interesting, no?  :-)

--
"NT disk, meet Mr. Microwave."
David Parsons in comp.os.linux.advocacy (e-mail addy deleted for spam reasons)

Justin The Cynical - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Kernel NFS Problem; device busy
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:54:06 +0000

Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> NFS doesn't work that way. The server cannot tell whether an exported
> filesystem is currently mounted by a client or not. This is called
> statelessness, and regarded by some people as a feature and by others as
> a shortcoming.
>
> Anselm
        It knows it's mounted, what it doesn't know is if it is the CWD. If you
umount the directory on the client, then it can be umounted on the
server after it's unexported. I think there should be some mechanism
whereby the server could try to umount it on the clients and if it is
the CWD on any clients, then the umount should return busy, that would
be a happy medium.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Public license question
Date: 12 Mar 1999 03:58:23 -0800

Mark Mokryn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Okay, guys... as the originator of this thread, I must protest - this
>discussion is not what I intended. I assume that at least the vast majority
>of us, if not all of us, are engineers, and not (thank god) lawyers. So let's
>cut the legalese bullshit, since that's exactly what it is. Please, let's
>talk in more concrete terms we can all understand.

Part of being a competent software engineer is having a good understanding
of copyright law.  A software engineer who does not understand the legal
environment under which his/her software exists should be no more acceptable
than, say, an architect who doesn't bother to know the building codes where
a building he/she designs is to be built.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Bell)
Subject: Missing include files
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:25:33 GMT

I seem to be missing some standard include files, and I suspect it's
the result of a disk problem, where- I had to do an extensive fsck.
As a result, I can't compile Wine or libungif.  The missing files are
included in /usr/include/gnu/types, and their names are something like
nsISupport.h, jsapi.h, and jsISupport.h -- not sure on that last.  I
haven't been able to find these files on the net anywhere.  Does
anyone know what these files are part of?  Should I reinstall Linux to
get them, or are they part of some app like gcc so I can just
reinstall that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew Bell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 12 Mar 1999 04:15:16 -0800

Barry Margolin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If he's under the impression that there are multiple libraries that can be
>linked with his module, then he and his program should be off the hook.  I
>would expect the instructions that come with his program to mention the
>various alternative libraries that the end user may link in.

OK...let's think about this.  What you are suggesting would lead to the
rather odd result that whether or not I copied your program when I wrote
mine would depend on my state of mind, rather than whether or not there
are copies of code from your program in mine.

>>It doesn't make sense for his control of his work to depend on this either.
>
>He's the one who was purported to be writing a program that's dependent on
>a GPLed library, and was trying to use dynamic linking as a loophole around
>it.  The whole reason for using the GPL, rather than the LGPL, for a
>library is so that it can be used as an enticement for other people to
>distribute their work freely (you can link with it if you agree to free
>your code); the purpose is defeated if someone can simply use dynamic
>linking as a workaround.

But there is no law that says my program can't be dependent on yours.
I can't *copy* yours, but I can be completely dependent on it, whether
you like it or not.  Do you really think I should have to have Microsoft's
permission to write Windows applications?  Apple's permission to write
Mac applications?  Sony's permission to write Playstation games?  Under
your argument, any application that is not 100% system independent is
a derivative work of the OS on which it runs.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: Keith Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: .bz2??? what is it?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:17:08 -0700

What file format is .bz2, and what program do I use to uncompress it?

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: remote printing
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:34:29 -0500

I have Slackware 3.6 set up on two networked machines.  Computer one has
a HPIIIp laserjet printer attached to its parallel port.  Print jobs
work well on that machine.  I have attempted to configure computer two
to print on computer one's printer.  I have read the man pages for all
printer related tools.  I have read the printing how to and did as
suggested but I can't seem to get remote printing to work.

The printcap of computer one is as follows (set up by apsfilter):
ascii|lp1|ljet3-letter-ascii-mono|ljet3 ascii mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-ascii-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-ascii-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-ascii-mono/acct:\
        :if=/root/prin/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet3-letter-ascii-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
lp|lp2|ljet3-letter-auto-mono|ljet3 auto mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-auto-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-auto-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-letter-auto-mono/acct:\
        :if=/root/prin/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet3-letter-auto-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
raw|lp3|ljet3-letter-raw|ljet3 auto raw:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-raw:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-raw/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-raw/acct:\
        :if=/root/prin/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet3-letter-raw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

Computer two's printcap file is as follows:
lp|lj|laserjet:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :rm=192.168.122.20:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sh:

/etc/hosts.lpd on computer one has the ip address of computer two
listed.  When I try to print on computer two nothing happens.  lpc
status on computer two tells me queuing is enabled, printing is enabled,
there is an entry in the spool area and waiting for queue to be enabled
on computer one.  lpc status on computer one advises that queuing is
enabled, printing is enabled, no entries and no daemon present.
Noprinting occurs.  When I lprm - on computer two to remove the job I
get a message advising your host does not have line printer acces.  What
else must I do?

Later,
TPF

------------------------------

From: Kai Schnabel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NT-Backup-Tapes under Linux
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:39:15 +0100

Hi,
is there a solution to read NT-3.51 Backup-Tapes under Linux?

One soulution would be to read them under NT.51 and write them again
with tar for NT (this wors pretty good) but ... I would have to retape
all old Backup-Tapes and then rewrite them (costs me a lot of time I
don't have)... I don't need those tapes every day but, one never
knows...

Any other solutions? Read the tapes with dd and then convert ist with a
NT_BACKUP-to-tar tool? Does such a programme exits?

I want to update our department server from NT 3.51 to Linux and the old
Backups are the only thing which let me hesitate.....

Kai
--
Kai P. Schnabel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])| Reformstudiengang Medizin,
http://www.charite.de/rv/reform/         | Humboldt Universitaet zu

------------------------------

From: derriedo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound card probleme
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:44:58 +0100

I have a compatible sound card, i can read 8 bit audio but
i can't read mp3 or other wav file what is the problem ?

        - i need a new driver for my sound card
        - i need a new kernel (best as 2.0.36 or RedHat5.2)
        - i need new music player
        - i need to change my sound card !

Please answer me
Thanks,

Dominique

------------------------------

From: Frank Riha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to patch a Kernel?
Date: 11 Mar 1999 21:56:16 GMT

"Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, i downloaded the RAID-Tools and the patch for the kernel, but, how do i
> patch the kernel?
>
> There file to patch is a file which seems very crypted to me.
>
> Hope on help
>
> Regards
> The Ray
>
> Where i work http://www.ultrasonic.at

Ray

Most patches for kernel functions (and any other program) come as a
"diff" file, which is a file containing the lines that have been
changed in a source code file.  A diff file is generated by running
the "diff" command against an original file and the modified one, thus
the name.  This allows you to only send out a few lines of code
instead of sending out entire files.

These diff files can be applied to your source tree using the "patch"
command.  patch takes the diff file and uses it to change your local
files to match the file of the developer.  Normally you would change
to your kernel source directory (/usr/src/linux) and run the patch
command ("patch -d1 < patch-file-path-and-name" is a normal
invokation).  The documentation provided with your patch may give you
an example patch command, which would override my example.

You will then need to rebuild your kernel.

I will not cross post this reply, hopefully you will read this group.

machwon

------------------------------

From: Frank Riha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COBOL compiler for Linux?
Date: 11 Mar 1999 22:07:11 GMT

"Eagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there one?

Yes, I believe Acucobol runs under Linux, although I have not used it.

Acucorp makes it (commercial product).
Check them out at http://www.acucobol.com

fdr

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raymond N Shwake)
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:32:06 GMT

Mikhail Kruk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>You can setup remote services on NT. Including fully  Unix compatible
>ones. Like rsh, rlogin, telnet... They've released some kind of unix
>compatability package recently. You can even have a NFS server running
>on NT.

        If you're perhaps referring to packages like Softway's OpenNT
(both I think changed name recently) I find it interesting that this
UNIX-like extension costs more than *real* UNIX - not just Linux, but
commercial UNIX like Solaris x86 and UnixWare. And that's not counting
the cost of the NT foundation.

>NT could've been a good OS actually. Microkernel architecture is
>probably better anyway... It seems that Microsoft kills anything good it
>touches.

        Microsoft obviously uses different metrics of "goodness". They
sell a lot of stuff, and make a lot of money. I've learned not to
expect more of them.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Rowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat rpm
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:42:45 -0500

Has anyone encountered this problem, with Redhat 5.1 rpm.  I have to
veiw the packages before I can install them. the progress bar proceeds
nearly 3/4 of the way to complete then just stops.  Since I can't view
the packages I want to install, rpm won't let me install them, This
happens on all the packages I've tried .  Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil)
Crossposted-To: ibmnet.general,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux setup
Date: 11 Mar 1999 22:05:25 GMT

John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Best thing is to use a script to update an html file
>> > at your ISP with your dynamic IP address whenever you
>> > connect and then when you are connected anyone who
>> > knows to look there can connect to your box.  Voila!
>
>> Yep, that sound like a solution indeet, though not quite what I
>> imagined at the beginner, but it should work, right.
>
>But since ibm.net does not offer a service like that at this
>time (at least not for personal dial-up accounts) you may be
>SOL.

No, ibm.net does not offer this service.  They don't have to.
The service is entirely managed by your own home linux installation.
all you need is a dialup connection.  As long as you can upload
html files to some location which IS always accesible, you can do
what I describe.

Phil

------------------------------

From: Artur Yelchishchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.msdos.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Partition Software Recommendation?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:47:03 +0300

> Hi all,
>
> My fdisk program from Win95 does not work for some reason; I can run the
> program to create partitions on a re-zeroed HDD, set an active partition, and
> then view the partition table showing the partitions created, but when I
> reboot and re-run fdisk to display the partition table, no partitions are
> created and any changes I tried to make by using fdisk previously don't take
> effect. Can anybody comment on why this is happening?
>
> Is there any free disk partitioning program available on the net, like a clone
> of Partition Magic or Sys Comm?
>
> Has anyone used FreeDOS (www.freedos.org) and is it any good? I am thinking
> about downloading FreeDOS and using fdisk utility from FreeDOS to create
> partitions but would like to know any opinions on this. Thanks for any help.

Hi BOB,

Can't speak about FreeDOS, but personally for me the best is FDISK from
Caldera DR-DOS (www.caldera.com) - it may be used for dealing with
foreign partition types, too (NTFS, HPFS, BSD etc.), and is free for
non-corporate users.

Also, did you checked HD parameters stored in CMOS? Some time back I've
experienced similar effect as you describe, and the problem was
incorrect
drive type in BIOS...

Artur.

------------------------------

From: Mark Tranchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:26:56 +0000

A "true" UK billion is 10^12 (US trillion). No-one in their right mind
uses this any more, and I doubt you'd find many people who knew a
milliard is 10^9.

"Real" usage in the UK is the same as in the US nowadays.

However, the Dell UK site
(http://www.euro.dell.com/intl/euro/products/dimension/english/storepages/help_ddrives.stm)
contains the quote:

"For hard drives, GB means 1 million bytes; total accessible capacity
varies depending on operating environment. this will apply to the
english only - not the languages."

I hope that clears everything up. It seems as though a million is now
10^9 - but this only applies to the english...   >:-S

Mark.

------------------------------

From: "Karl Bengtsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie, URGENT QUESTIONS
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 06:56:55 GMT

I'm new at Linux too, but I think I figured out how to change the
resolution
(at least on my Red Hat installation)
Run a program called Xconfigurator
It makes all the necessary changes to system files, so you don't have to do
it yourself. It's kinda hard to get to work though if you don't know the
specifics of your monitor, so you'll have to look in the monitor manual.

As I said, this works on my RedHat 5.0, don't know about anything else

BTW, I read that to make the soundcard work you need to recompile the
kernel. But I have NO idea how to do this... check the howtos
Good luck,

/Karl

eric malloy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i inlägg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Karl Bengtsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat questions
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:06:03 GMT

I managed to figure out the last bunch of problems, but now I've got some
other things I need to know:

1) I cannot run netscape (gold v3.04) as root, and I don't know why. As a
normal user, a menu called "Applications" is added under X, where a new
Netscape entry is added. I can also run it from the shell within X.
However, when I'm root, that menu doesn't appear, and I can't even run it
from the shell. I just get a bash error saying command wasn't found or
something like that. Same thing goes for Doom (the game). Does anyone know
why?

2) The RedHat Network Configurator, which is what I use to connect to the
net, is appearently a python script. I have no idea what that means, except
I can only access it as root. Someone mentioned pppd, which I have read
about in the howtos. But it seems kinda complicated to do all that just to
access the net. Isn't there any way to make the Network Configurator
accessible to all users?

3) Is there an easy way to figure out Linux commands? If I know what I want
to do, but don't know the command to do it? The man pages aren't much help
then. It took me a couple of hours just to figure out how to "ps" and
"kill" a program....

Thanks for all the help I've gotten! It's great that there are so many nice
people out there willing to lend a hand to beginner.

/Karl

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: STAROFFICE 5.0 FilterUpdate!
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:59:05 GMT

Dear friends:

Just received the announcement from StarOffice that a new version of
StarOffice 5.0 is available for Linux with a much-improved filter update
for interoperatibility with Microsoft Office. It's not a patch. You have to
download the whole thing again. Still free for personal use.

http://www.stardivision.com
--
Benjamin Sher
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: cd player similar to KDE's. . .
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:50:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Norvell Spearman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a cd player similar to KDE's cdplayer (one that will
> automatically download artist, album, and track names) that I can run in
> plain old XWindows/fvwm2?

Yes, the same one.
You just need the kdelibs installed.
Other than that... xmcd, cdcd.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: No man in Debian 2.1?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 08:11:56 -0500

Bill  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Bill> When I type man in Debian 2.1 I get something like bash:man no
Bill> such command.  This is very disappointing because I'd hoped to
Bill> learn from these pages.  I'm a total newcomer.  I've looked in
Bill> books and FAQ's but they keep telling me to use man, which I
Bill> can't.

Well, you seem to be missing the man-db package (Priority: important,
Section: doc).  Did you actually finish the Debian install, or are you
running with just the "base system" (what gets installed off the five
floppies)?  Try running through 'dselect' once; this will hopefully
install at least all of the Standard and Important packages for you
and get you a usable system.

--
David Maze             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"