Linux-Misc Digest #424, Volume #20               Sun, 30 May 99 21:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: About RealPlayer G2... (John Girash)
  Re: Silly Question (CodeWright)
  Re: stdio.h (Martin Dieringer)
  Re: Rebuilding SRPMs (David Wragg)
  Re: unzip 5.31 no longer supports "shrink" (Eric Veldhuyzen)
  Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc ("B. J. Rowland")
  Re: Background Jobs (Frank Sweetser)
  Linux OS on Floppies? (ron benelli)
  Re: How to install files with RPM extension??????? (Fred Kuipers)
  Re: Linux Sound (Allen Wong)
  Re: About RealPlayer G2... (Jeremy L. Stock)
  Re: Offline news (newbie alert) (Peter Wyzlic)
  Re: small linux distribution? (John Forkosh)
  Re: telnet in as root? (TRG Software : Tim Greer)
  problems with efix to ps (Sheldon Newhouse)
  Re: Linux OS on Floppies? ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: my user doesnt have permission???    help (Robert Heller)
  Re: difference between library .a and .so !!! ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: Recompiling my kernel (Sheldon Newhouse)
  Re: telnet in as root? ("D. Vrabel")

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: About RealPlayer G2...
Date: 30 May 1999 17:49:46 -0500

In comp.os.linux.misc Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> Can't you run it in Linux emulation?

: I guess not...

:  ./realplay
: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
:
: After running ldd here's the result...

: /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found
:         not a dynamic executable

: I upgraded to the RedHat 100% compatible libraries in glibc2.tgz
: from StarOffice 5.1 on top of linux_lib-2.6.1. I tried adding the /dir
: to ld.so.conf and using a LD_LIBRARY_PATH script too.
: Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe glibc 2.1 is needed?

2.1 definitely isn't needed: I'm on 2.0.7 (with libc5.4.38 in reserve).
But here's what ldd realplay yields on my kernel 2.0.36 Debian box:

        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4000f000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40012000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4005a000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400ff000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x4010b000)
        libstdc++.so.2.8 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8 (0x4011d000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40162000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4017b000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x40220000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x40229000)

Hope this helps.
jg

------------------------------

From: CodeWright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Silly Question
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:20:41 -0400

NEWS wrote:

> John Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :  Which one of the dist's is the best at upgrading?  Like, if you
> : have RedHat 5.1 on and then get 6.0, is it simply smooth sailing or is it
> : too much trouble?  I've seen the upgrade option on the Redhat install
> : process, this is why I'm asking.  Or, does such a thing exist since
> : changes happen so often?  I particularly like SuSE, second for me would
> : be Redhat, and third is everything else.

Although I *like* the Slackware distributions, they typically come with
instructions that say something to the effect that upgrading is such a
pain that Patrick Volkerding recommends that you reinstall instead.

If you are looking for ease of upgrade, I'd have to suggest that you
avoid the Slackware distributions.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: stdio.h
Date: 30 May 1999 21:53:49 +0200

Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Martin Dieringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > please someone send me or post /usr/include/stdio.h here.
> > I don't have access to a linux system
>
> I'd be completely satisfied with the definition of FILE

The datatype and purpose of '_cnt' would serve the purpose.
The linux version does NOT matter at all.

thank you very much
martin

------------------------------

From: David Wragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Rebuilding SRPMs
Date: 30 May 1999 12:07:30 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne) writes:
> Compiling the kernel to be "MMX-optimized" will be worthwhile in the
> specific case where you're running SCSI RAID, and can use MMX to make
> RAID5 checksums run faster.  That is probably the only *significant*
> thing that could benefit in the kernel, and is only helpful if you're
> using SCSI and RAID5.
>
> That kernel optimization likely won't expose any Pentium-versus-PPro
> differences.
>
> Beyond that, I would be quite skeptical that there would be
> *substantial* performance improvements available to be reaped from
> specially compiling code for IA-32 variations.

The PPro and successors have conditional move instructions. These can
give quite significant performance improvements in typical code, by
eliminating branch mispredictions. For a kernel built with egcs-1.1,
there are measurable performance differences between one with
-mpentiumpro and one with -march=pentiumpro (the latter enables egcs
to use the cmov instructions). People get excited about the MMX and
KNI instructions, but the use of the much more mundane cmov can give
performance improvements for typical code, and it doesn't require
compiler heroics.

Unfortunately, there have been bugs in the cmov support of all release
versions of egcs so far. So you get a faster kernel that doesn't work
reliably.

David Wragg.

------------------------------

From: Eric Veldhuyzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unzip 5.31 no longer supports "shrink"
Date: 30 May 1999 12:29:49 +0200

John Forkosh writes:
> I have to support many "legacy" zipped files, and recently
> discovered some of them that use (what pkzip calls) "shrink"
> compression.  Unfortunately, the current (Slackware 3.6) version of
> unzip, version 5.31, just spits out a message that shrink is no
> longer supported.

> I went back to an old Slackware 3.4 CD, and pulled out unzip version
> 5.20, and this unzipped the shrinked files just fine.

> Anyone know why the shrink support was removed?  Will I have to keep
> unzip 5.20 around forever (there are too many files for me to
> unzip/re-zip them all)?

>From the INSTALL file that comes with unzip 5.31:

      USE_UNSHRINK
        The "shrinking" algorithm from PKZIP 1.0 is an LZW variant.
        Unisys patented the Lempel-Ziv-Welch algorithm in 1985 and has
        publicly claimed that decompression is covered by it. (IBM
        also patented the same thing in a filing 3 weeks prior to
        Unisys's.)  Therefore un- shrinking is disabled by default,
        but those with LZW licenses can enable it by defining
        USE_UNSHRINK. (Unshrinking was used by PKZIP 1.0 and 1.1, and
        Zip 1.0 and 1.1.  All newer archives use only the deflation
        method.)

So, just recompile it and ignore the license (or just use 5.20 and
ignore this license) or live with it.

--
#!perl #                       Life ain't fair, but root passwords help.
# Eric Veldhuyzen                                   http://www.terra.nu/

------------------------------

From: "B. J. Rowland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Alpha, PowerPC, Intel, and Sparc
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:22:12 -0500

The NetWinder was made by Corel. As any Corel (COSFF) shareholder knows, Corel has
not been doing well lately. They recently sold the NetWinder (corelcomputer.com)
to another company which now calls itself Rebel.com. I imagine this explains the
price increase.

Ben

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Background Jobs
Date: 30 May 1999 17:38:50 -0400

"Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> If I telnet into my Linux box and start a job, and then put it in the
> background, and log out, when I re-login, how can I get to that job, if it
> is still running?  When I type in jobs, it does not do anything.  The only
> thing I can figure out is because it is a different session.

yup.  use the 'screen' program instead - man screen should explain it.

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.5        i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:35:48 -0700
From: ron benelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux OS on Floppies?

I am attempting to locate/purchase Linux OS on
floppies for a 486 Laptop; has floppy drive, no CD-ROM drive.
ronB

From: Fred Kuipers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install files with RPM extension???????
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:31:51 GMT

For more information than has been offered, read the rpm man page ('man
rpm').

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux Sound
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 16:00:59 -0700

Jimmy,

    Try "rvplayer %s".  You should also think about getting the G2
Realplayer.  It's available for Linux now.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy L. Stock)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:05:09 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 20:53:19 GMT, Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Can't you run it in Linux emulation?
>>
>I guess not...
>
> ./realplay
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>After running ldd here's the result...
>
>/usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found
>        not a dynamic executable
>
>I upgraded to the RedHat 100% compatible libraries in glibc2.tgz
>from StarOffice 5.1 on top of linux_lib-2.6.1. I tried adding the /dir
>to ld.so.conf and using a LD_LIBRARY_PATH script too.
>Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe glibc 2.1 is needed?
>
>--
>Ted Sikora
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://tsikora.tiac.net

It works for me under 3.2-STABLE-19990528 using the updated linux-base port
from http://www.scc.nl/~marcel. Hope this helps.

--
Jeremy L. Stock                         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Wyzlic)
Subject: Re: Offline news (newbie alert)
Date: 30 May 1999 23:24:10 GMT

On Sun, 30 May 1999 22:46:25 +0100, Richard Brisbourne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I read a few support pages and HOWTOs and downloaded INN 2.2 plus suck,
>as rpms, the idea being to download news from my isp and then read
>locally (I still feel a bit of trepidation about compiling).
>
>The good news:
>I can dial into my isp, and download all the articles I want to my own
>computer.  I can use the -bl option to get suck to call lmove to
>distribute the articles into the directory structure that got set up
>when I added newsgroups to the "active" file.  I now have a nice
>collection of articles, one per file, scattered through that directory
>structure, which I guess is exactly what is supposed to happen so far.

Sounds ok.

>The bad news:
>Although I can wander around the directory structure reading the
>articles one at a time, using any handy text editor, I can't get a
>newsreader to work. (I've tried slrn and trn).
>
>I've set the NNTPSERVER variable to localhost, and have localhost set up
>as a peer in incoming.conf as per the instructions.  And it's also in
>the hosts file, as per instructions.
>
>Trn will happily let me subscribe to anything in inn's active file, but
>insists there are no unread articles.
>
>I can't help thinking I'm missing something stupid, but I've now spent a
>whole wet Sunday on this one, and my brain hurts.  Any ideas anyone?

It seems your server is really running (by the way you can test
it for example by telnet localhost 119; if you get a response,
you can be sure that it is up an running).

Perhaps you need only a "newsgroups" file (should be under RH 5.2
/var/lib/news/newsgroups). Edit it to your needs. Then try
        lynx news:*
What gives it?

Perhaps you may look at leafnode which is a small newsserver for
leaf sites like yours. It is said it is relatively easy to
configure.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Subject: Re: small linux distribution?
Date: 30 May 1999 20:05:32 -0400

You might try tom's root/boot one-floppy distribution at
     http://www.toms.net/rb/
which I believe may do what you want.  I'm not sure how
it will behave if no hard drive is available at all,
but all its init stuff is customizable.
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: hi all,
: is there any linux distribution that has ethernet support, and fits on a
: floppy?
: i would like to do this:
: create a dos ramdrive
: copy the linux filesystem (gz file? the doslinux dist. uses this),kernel
: and some other files from the floppy to the ramdrive
: boot linux from the ramdrive
: mount the ramdrive and copy a few files from it to the linux filesys,
: OR, mount the floppy and copy files directly from it
: i know this might sound crazy, but is it possible ? or is there a better
: solution? (the reason for this is because i don't want to have the hdd
: running. the computer in question will be running several weeks
: unattended)
: tia.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 15:29:19 -0700
From: TRG Software : Tim Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet in as root?

jimlynn wrote:

> Hi,
>     I have a RedHat 5.2 system and I want to be able to telnet into the
> system as root.  How would I go about setting this up?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

There's not usually a very good reason to want to do that. It's best
(and more secure, obviously) to 'su' from a current telnet session.
Rather then giving someone the opportunity to simply log in as root,
they'd have to login as another user and then successfully su to root
from there. If you were using FreeBSD, then you'd be able to actually
set it so only certain users could even be able to su to root, which
adds another "step" to the security. In other words, try your best to
make it more secure by not allowing someone the ability to simply become
root right off. Secure tty's is not the way to go.
Tim Greer: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Chat Base: http://www.chatbase.com | 250,000+ hits daily Worldwide!
TRG Software: http://www.linkworm.com | CGI scripting in Perl/C, & more.
Unix/NT/Novell Administration, Security, Web Design, ASP, SQL, & more.
Freelance Programming & Consulting, Musician, Martial Arts, Sciences.

------------------------------

From: Sheldon Newhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems with efix to ps
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:52:53 +0000

Hello,
 I have just installed  efax-0.8a-7 on a system running RH 5.1.  The
included program efix is supposed to convert from one format to
another.

I took a simple text file and converted it to the default format with

efix -nletter.%03d <letter
efix: Sun May 30 19:48:42 1999 efix v 0.2 Copyright 1996 Ed Casas

Seemed to work OK:
[sen@pokie FAX-files]$ ls
letter      letter.001

Next to convert to ps:

[sen@pokie FAX-files]$ efix -ops -r300 -s1.5 <letter.001 > letter.ps
efix: Sun May 30 19:50:50 1999 efix v 0.2 Copyright 1996 Ed Casas
efix: 50:50 image width rounded to 2544 pixels
[sen@pokie FAX-files]$ ls
letter      letter.001  letter.ps
[sen@pokie FAX-files]$

Then, tried to read with gv:

Got the error

Error: /undefined in NaN
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   2   3
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1
%stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop
.runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2
%stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
5   3   %oparray_pop
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:772/809--   --dict:0/20--   --dict:47/200--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 939

Any ideas?

TIA,
 -sen

 Sheldon E. Newhouse         |      mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |
 Mathematics Department      |       www: http://www.mth.msu.edu/~sen |
 Michigan State University   | telephone: 517-355-9684                |
 E. Lansing, MI 48824-1027   |       FAX: 517-432-1562                |
 USA                         |                                        |

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux OS on Floppies?
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 01:00:32 +0100

On Sun, 30 May 1999, ron benelli wrote:

> I am attempting to locate/purchase Linux OS on
> floppies for a 486 Laptop; has floppy drive, no CD-ROM drive.
> ronB
Debian installs a base system on 6-7 (?) floppys.  Check out
     http://www.debian.org/

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my user doesnt have permission???    help
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 00:03:12 GMT

  DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sun, 30 May 1999 20:09:37 +0000, wrote :

D> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
D> >
D> > hi there
D> >
D> >         the user i created for myself  (so i dont have to be root)
D> > doesnt seem to have permission to do anything?  i set it in the users
D> > group but i still cant move or copy files , access minicom, modem
D> > device , etc...    i RTFM but i dont get it?
D>
D> That's right, and that's the way it's supposed to be.  You can copy just
D> about anything TO your home directory and that's about it.  You can do
D> anything in your home directory you care to, but you cannot do much
D> outside of it.
D>
D> That's the way it's supposed to work.  Remember that user is for day to
D> day running of programs.  If you want to do system work, type 'su -'
D> then type in the root password in an xterm and you can do anything you
D> need to as root.
D>
D> Now do you see why viruses cannot thrive on a UNIX box?  If you pick one
D> up as your user, the virus will only have the permissions your user
D> does.  If YOU cannot do anything to the system as your user...
D>
D> Keep a root window open somewhere and only use it if you get permission
D> denied and you NEED to do whatever it is to your system.

Even better: install sudo.  Great tool for doing sys admin stuff.  Much
safer than having a 'random' Xterm running as root -- all you have to do
is forget which window that is or what its pwd is and type an
unfortunate command there to totally toss your system.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: difference between library .a and .so !!!
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 01:38:16 +0100

On Mon, 31 May 1999, fencer wrote:

> well, i'm trying to compile xtraceroute 0.8.14 and get an undefined
> reference between gtkgl and gtk libraries.
> To solve the problem, I need to understand libraries mechanisms.
I doubt this will solve your problem but .a are static and are linked at
compile (the link phase) time. .so are dynamic and are linked at run time.
.so's are also shared between processes using the same libraries thus
reducing memory usage.

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Sheldon Newhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recompiling my kernel
Date: 30 May 1999 20:06:59 -0400

Don't copy the image (it is zImage in a subdirectory, not vmlinuz).

Make a bootable floppy with
 cd /usr/src/linux; make zdisk

DON'T use your lilo boot disk. This will overwrite it.  Just use a
clean formatted diskette.  The 'make zdisk' will copy the new image to
the floppy and set the correct parameters.  Boot off the new disk to
see if it works.  If so, you can make a new lilo boot disk.  But, read
the docs on how to do this.  The old, "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh et
al is a good source.

However, if you are using modules for various things which were set
up, you may lose many of those facilities with your new kernel. So,
you need to read the docs on modules in /usr/src/linux/Documentation
to make sure that you can fix things.

Don't run make zlilo until you have fixed up your /etc/lilo.conf file
to be able to boot your working kernel the way you want it, or you
will have some tricky stuff to do to get things working properly
again.

If you want some more detailed help, send my private e-mail, and I
will try to help you out if I can.

-Cheers,

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 01:35:52 +0100

On Sun, 30 May 1999 TRG Software wrote:

> jimlynn wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I have a RedHat 5.2 system and I want to be able to telnet into the
> > system as root.  How would I go about setting this up?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
>
> There's not usually a very good reason to want to do that. It's best
> (and more secure, obviously) to 'su' from a current telnet session.
Logging in as root and su'ing to root have the same security risk because
the password is sent as plain text for anybody to read.  Use ssh for
greater security.

David Vrabel