Linux-Misc Digest #424, Volume #26               Wed, 29 Nov 00 14:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: want to learn assembly language on linux (phil)
  Alsa and via82cxxx for kernel 2.2 (Doug Angus)
  Question on user accounts (RV)
  How to calculate space in bytes of a dir??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: passwd protect runlevel 1 ("Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS")
  Re: E-mail client (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Can't mount or dd nonstandard floppy (B'ichela)
  Re: Problem with read mail ("Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS")
  Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir??? ("Arthur H. Gold")
  Re: root password changed, need help (Bulent Sarinc)
  suid ("Joe Terry")
  Re: IE for Unix Help Page (Grant Edwards)
  Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir??? (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: root filesystem resore from tape (John Thompson)
  Re: root password changed, need help (Jan Schaumann)
  Re: Kernel parameters ("Nils Magnus Eide Englund")
  Re: Gnome "Default Session" (Robert Wiegand)
  login problems (Greg Varnadoe)
  Re: Linux vs DIGITAL ALPHA 3000/600 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mp3 player with Linux support (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (mark)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... (mark)
  Virtual mem exhaust problem? (Chet Vora)
  Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL? (Raymond Chui)
  Re: passwd protect runlevel 1 ("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: passwd protect runlevel 1 ("Eric en Jolanda")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: want to learn assembly language on linux
Date: 29 Nov 2000 17:04:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] -[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]- spewed forth
the following lines of wisdom:
>hi
>
>i want to learn assembly language for x86. will someone pls recommend a
>good assembly tutorial and a good (preferably easy to use) assembler for
>linux. I'm already familiar with high level programming (C, perl etc)
>and i'd like to get into the more nitty gritty stuff

http://www.linuxassembly.org/
Has tutorials.
Phil.

------------------------------

From: Doug Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Alsa and via82cxxx for kernel 2.2
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:59:54 -0500

==============DA9955F9DB3E04E764BA86EE

Apparently the via82cxxx driver for the kernel 2.2 loads but doesn't
work.  Will this have any affect on
installing the alsa sound drivers?

--
Doug Angus
Department of Geological Sciences & Geological Engineering

==============DA9955F9DB3E04E764BA86EE

Apparently the via82cxxx driver for the kernel 2.2 loads but doesn't work.&nbsp;
Will this have any affect on
<pre>--&nbsp;
Doug Angus
Department of Geological Sciences &amp; Geological Engineering
Queen's University, Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6, Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: RV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question on user accounts
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:39:59 GMT

Hello list:

Is there a way to modify user accounts thru the command line? I would
like to be able to telnet to my box to change users' groups. Is this
possible?

Thanks in advance,
Ronald

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir???
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:36:58 GMT

Hi,

I have a Linux RH6.2 and my root partition (/) have become
full (100% used) rapidly. I use Squid and QMail into this
server and I suspect one of these is the responsable for
my full partition.

Then, I would like to know if there is some command from
Linux that allows to calculate all space used for each
directory. After this, it is possible to know who is the
"byte-eater" of my system.

Thanks for any help,

From: "Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: passwd protect runlevel 1
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:48:52 -0600

You can try this also:
IS YOUR SYSTEM'S FRONT DOOR WIDE OPEN TO INTRUDERS?
If you're using a Linux system that's connected to a network, chances
are good you've spent hours securing your system by terminating
unneeded services, installing and configuring a firewall, and
monitoring system logs. Despite all the care you've taken, you may have
left the front door to your system wide open. Surprising numbers of
Linux users--even cautious and knowledgeable Linux users--do just that.

So where's the front door? We're talking about LILO, the Linux boot
loader. Most Linux configurations don't require you to choose a
password for LILO--which means that anyone capable of physically
accessing your system while you're not around can easily gain root
access and rummage around in your files.

Password-protecting LILO access is a good move, but that measure alone
is still insufficient. To protect your system fully, you must make
/etc/lilo.conf readable only by the root user. You should also
configure your system so that it's not possible to boot from a floppy
or CD-ROM; otherwise, an intruder could use a Linux disk to bypass your
LILO configuration.

To password-protect LILO, follow these steps:

1. Log on as the root user or switch to superuser.
2. In a terminal window, open /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor.
3. Add password=your-password just above the image statement,
substituting the password you actually want to use for our example's
your-password.
4. Save the file.
5. Type chmod 600 /etc/lilo.conf and press [Enter]. This command makes
the /etc/lilo.conf file readable only by the root user.
6. Type lilo and press [Enter]. This command rereads the configuration
file and rebuilds the boot loader with the new configuration variables.
7. Reboot your system. If you're in console mode, you can do so by
typing shutdown -r now and pressing [Enter].
8. When your system restarts, press the key (usually [Delete]) that
enables you to enter your system's Setup menu.
9. Disable booting from the floppy and CD-ROM drives.
10. Create a password to control access to the Setup menu.
11. Exit the Setup menu.
12. When the LILO prompt appears, you'll be asked to type your LILO
password. Do so, and Linux will start normally.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: E-mail client
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:59:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, LuisMiguel Figueiredo wrote:

>I need a good email client for X11. What should i use? and why?

what: rxvt -e mutt

 why: because I said so, that's why!

 www.mutt.org

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  After THIS, let's go
                                  at               to PHILADELPHIA and have

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Can't mount or dd nonstandard floppy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:44:25 -0500

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:47:17 +0100, Tim Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>// Short version: How I can specify different sector numbering & cluster
>sizes when mounting a disk, like we do with block size?
>
>Well, I'm still stuck on this, but I have to say I'm very grateful for the
>response I've gotten so far.  Since my original posting, I've tried the
>following:
>1) I did a "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=data/temp bs=1 skip=2048", using Stefano
>Ghirlanda's suggestion to skip the error.
>2) I tried Anadisk 2.07 on suggestion of B'ichela.  It couldn't read the
>boot sector.
Ok, what other info did it give you? interleave? Tracks per side?
Track size? I am curious to know myself

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with read mail
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:59:14 -0600

"Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Be sure you do not tell ALL of your e-mail clients to leave the
> messages on the server. The server will eventually fill up and stop
> accepting e-mail on your behalf. Pick one of your machines as your
> primary one, and have your e-mail client pick up all the e-mail and
> remove it from the server.
Or setup Outlook to delete from the server when you empty deleted items.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:02:36 -0600
From: "Arthur H. Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir???

> I have a Linux RH6.2 and my root partition (/) have become
> full (100% used) rapidly. I use Squid and QMail into this
> server and I suspect one of these is the responsable for
> my full partition.
>
> Then, I would like to know if there is some command from
> Linux that allows to calculate all space used for each
> directory. After this, it is possible to know who is the
> "byte-eater" of my system.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
man du

HTH,
--ag
--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account
for more info)

------------------------------

From: Bulent Sarinc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password changed, need help
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:17:36 +0100

i didnt give it to anybody

i have been hacked probably
damn those hackers

but i finally fixed it
thanx

bulent

------------------------------

From: "Joe Terry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suid
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:15:42 -0700

I am writing a backup script that unloads a database, tars the tables and
then copies the tar file to a zip drive.  I want to be able to mount/unmount
the zip drive and have different users access the script.  I have tried to
set the script up using suid chmod 4755 script, but it does not seem to run
in suid mode. I want to create temporary files and mount/unmount the zip
drive -- this requires superuser permission.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing improperly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: IE for Unix Help Page
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:20:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/IEUnix/howto/default.asp
>
>Now THAT is funny.

I have run IE under Unix.  I was underwhelmed.

I think the above web page sums things up nicely.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have many CHARTS
                                  at               and DIAGRAMS...

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Nov 2000 18:20:15 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Then, I would like to know if there is some command from
> Linux that allows to calculate all space used for each
> directory. After this, it is possible to know who is the
> "byte-eater" of my system.

cd /; du -sh *

(and man du)

--
Stefano

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root filesystem resore from tape
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:57:51 -0600

Jeremy Rogers wrote:

> Does anyone know how to restore a root filesystem from a scsi tape CPIO
> backup?
>
> I've done the usual mknod /dev/sda... and mount the disks etc, but I can't
> persuade
> rescue to see /dev/st0.I've created /dev/st0 by hand using
> mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0
> but it complains that there's no such device. I tried
> insmod st but lsmod doesn't show it.
> insmod anything just returns to the bash prompt with no error!
>
> What's happening??
>
> I've repeated similar procedures under various versions of
> SCO/Openserver/Xenix over the years and have never had a problem.
>
> Any pointers would be most welcome.

Hmmm.

Does the kernel on your rescue disk support scsi tape?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:26:11 GMT

* Bulent Sarinc wrote:
> i didnt give it to anybody
>
> i have been hacked probably
> damn those hackers

Dude, if you've been hacked it won't help just changing the root-password. You
gotta take the machine off the net, wipe it, re-install, make it secure and
only then hook it up again.

Please psot replies underneath the quoted text in the future. See

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
"Aw, poor baby, chipped a fang." -Leela

------------------------------

From: "Nils Magnus Eide Englund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: Kernel parameters
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:50:30 +0100

> > I was told I could use the "console" kernel parameter
> > when booting and configuring syslogd for sending all
> > kernel messages to the same tty, after the system has
> > booted.
>
> You can set where the kern.* messages go in syslog.conf, see man
> syslogd. No kernel parameters needed.

Well... I've managed the syslogd part, but I still don't know
how to hide the kernel messages at bootup, before the root fs
is mounted. Any ideas?

Nils Magnus Eide Englund

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome "Default Session"
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:25:04 -0600

Bob Howard wrote:

>  I start Gnome and the message reads....
> Your preferred session type Default is not installed on this machine.
> Do you wish to make Default the default for future sessions?
> with a green Yes button and a red No button. I answer yes.

I think you need to change the session type from "Default" to "Gnome" here.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Greg Varnadoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: login problems
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:06:14 GMT

I cannot login as root on my Linux box at home
(redhat 6.1  2.2.13 kernel)

If I try to login as root the console clears back to the login prompt. I
can login using my user login and password, but I cannot su (incorrect
password).

If I clear the root password (single user mode, edit /etc/passwd), when I
try to login as root I am still prompted for the root password.

I have checked the passwd and group files for errors but cannot find any.
I have removed the shadow files with pwunconv/grpunconv. Securetty lists
tty1-tty7.

Any suggestions?
Greg Varnadoe ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
KG4FGR
Man who jump off building,
leap to conclusion.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux vs DIGITAL ALPHA 3000/600
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:58:49 GMT

In <90161s$dhe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Good day,

Hi!

>I have an offer to acquire a DIGITAL ALPHA 3000/600.
[del]
>Does Linux runs on this type of Alpha hardware?

In short: no. Long version: this is a TurboChannel machine and after
the recent addition of DECstations, TC is supported, but only on
DECstations so far. So, if you'll help with porting....

See: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~prescott/linux/alpha/dec3000-port.html
(last update November 1999, though)

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stormweg 24               |listening to:Something Good To Go By(The Decibels)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: mp3 player with Linux support
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:20:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Juhamatti Niemelä wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:49:54 -0500, Ralph Blach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>Is there an MP3 player with decent linux support.  Ie, I can the files
>>from linux to
>>the player easily
>
>If you mean portable mp3player, there is Linux software for Diamond
>Rio 500. Check http://www.linuxnewbie.org for more.

The 300 also has Linux connectivity SW.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I like your SNOOPY
                                  at               POSTER!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:15:57 +0000

In article <6zSU5.3434$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, the_blur wrote:
>> No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing
>> a dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
>> with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
>> cretins trying to grab part of the "action."
>
>Hi Bob, make sure you mention to the KDE and GNOME GUI teams that you think
>of them as greasy-fingered cretins.

Err, he didn't say that, that I can see.

If you want to draw penguins, please go ahead.

You'll need to get good support from the linux community to see
a replacement for the current penguin, however.  This approach
is unlikely to achieve that.

Good luck

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:17:47 +0000

In article <975428409.490731@marvin>, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robert Kiesling"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing a
>> dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
>> with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
>> cretins trying to grab part of the "action."
>
>No, it wasn't the point. But you're right, of course: a good os with dumb
>artworks is still better than an all-grey-gui on top of a crap os (no
>names).

Agreed.  But it's also better than a colorful gui on top of a crap
os as well.

The penguin is fine.

Mark

------------------------------

From: Chet Vora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Virtual mem exhaust problem?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:44:49 -0500

Hi,

I am having Virtual Memory problems while compiling a particular app. I
keep getting "Virtual memory exhausted" error so I decided to do a
little investigation about the swap configuration on my RH6.2.

On doing a df -h, I get
Filesystem  Size        Used      Av     %use     Mounted on
/dev/hda6    1.4G  .9G         blah    blah        /
/dev/hda1    19M  2.4M      blah    blah        /boot
/dev/hda5    1.4G  .9G        blah    blah        /home

On doing free,
            total       used    avlable
Mem    30M      29M    .7M
Swap:   68M     3.5M   64M

Is the partition named "boot" the swap partition (this m/c was someone
else's )? If so, why the disparity bet'en the sizes shown by df vs free
? Or is it that df doen't show the swap partition ? Is a 68M swap size
right or will I be benefitted by increasing it ?

THis is a 32M RAM,180 MHz Pentium machine. Would also appreciate
feedback about how to resolve the "Virtual Mem exhaust" problem. I'm
trying to compile a protocol stack which in turn uses flex and yacc. Any
pointers will be welcome.

TIA,
Chet

------------------------------

From: Raymond Chui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.databases.postgresql.general,comp.databases.postgresql.committers,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:55:43 -0500

==============D3FEBAC53F861466FAFA6C59

I am just start look at PostgreSQL for our Redhat Linux.
I am wonder why most of people choose MySQL in Linux
world rather than PostgreSQL? PostgreSQL has 15 years
history (I never know that before) which is much longer
than MySQL. Also PostgreSQL supports a lot of things
which MySQL has not support yet.

--
Why we want to teach our babies to talk and walk,
then later we tell them "sit down!", "be quiet!" ?

Democracy is not a better way for a solution,
it is just another way to spread the blames.

==============D3FEBAC53F861466FAFA6C59

begin:vcard
n:Chui;Raymond
tel;fax:(301)713-0963
tel;home:ICQ #: 16722494
tel;work:(301)713-0624 Ext. 168
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.xoom.com/rchui/
org:NWS, NOAA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:SA, DBA
adr;quoted-printable:;;NOAA, NWS, Office of Hydrology, W/OH2=0D=0A1325 East-West
Highway, Room 8112;Silver Spring;MD;20910-3283;U.S.A.
x-mozilla-cpt:;30256
fn:Raymond Chui
end:vcard

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:56:01 +0100

> I do not know how offhand (perhaps you diddle /etc/securetty, but to
> be really safe, you probably do something to the BIOS of your
> machine), but be very careful if you do. If you forget the root
> password, how will you get in to change it to something you can use?
> (Perhaps you could have a boot floppy without this.)

I don't want to protect this machine with a BIOS password,
too much trouble when I forget this.
All I want is runlevel 1 secured, but Lew already answered my question (I
think)

Thanks anyway

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:58:24 +0100

> You can try this also:
> IS YOUR SYSTEM'S FRONT DOOR WIDE OPEN TO INTRUDERS?
> If you're using a Linux system that's connected to a network, chances
> are good you've spent hours securing your system by terminating
> unneeded services, installing and configuring a firewall, and
> monitoring system logs. Despite all the care you've taken, you may have
> left the front door to your system wide open. Surprising numbers of
> Linux users--even cautious and knowledgeable Linux users--do just that.
>
> So where's the front door? We're talking about LILO, the Linux boot
> loader. Most Linux configurations don't require you to choose a
> password for LILO--which means that anyone capable of physically
> accessing your system while you're not around can easily gain root
> access and rummage around in your files.
>
> Password-protecting LILO access is a good move, but that measure alone
> is still insufficient. To protect your system fully, you must make
> /etc/lilo.conf readable only by the root user. You should also
> configure your system so that it's not possible to boot from a floppy
> or CD-ROM; otherwise, an intruder could use a Linux disk to bypass your
> LILO configuration.
>
> To password-protect LILO, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Log on as the root user or switch to superuser.
> 2. In a terminal window, open /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor.
> 3. Add password=your-password just above the image statement,
> substituting the password you actually want to use for our example's
> your-password.
> 4. Save the file.
> 5. Type chmod 600 /etc/lilo.conf and press [Enter]. This command makes
> the /etc/lilo.conf file readable only by the root user.
> 6. Type lilo and press [Enter]. This command rereads the configuration
> file and rebuilds the boot loader with the new configuration variables.
> 7. Reboot your system. If you're in console mode, you can do so by
> typing shutdown -r now and pressing [Enter].
> 8. When your system restarts, press the key (usually [Delete]) that
> enables you to enter your system's Setup menu.
> 9. Disable booting from the floppy and CD-ROM drives.
> 10. Create a password to control access to the Setup menu.
> 11. Exit the Setup menu.
> 12. When the LILO prompt appears, you'll be asked to type your LILO
> password. Do so, and Linux will start normally.

Whooo, heavy security,
I don't need this though.

Just protect runlevel 1

Besides, people can still take the disc out if they *really* want what is on
it anyway.

Thanks for the info though