Linux-Misc Digest #443, Volume #19               Sun, 14 Mar 99 00:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Launching Red Hat Control Panel (Gary Momarison)
  Re: VERY easy CHMOD question (Bill Unruh)
  Re: VERY easy CHMOD question ("Katherine Davis")
  Re: VERY easy CHMOD question ("Katherine Davis")
  Re: Master LILO throws a tantrum ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux vs. Windows ("Nexus 6")
  Re: Statically-linked BASH binary (Hwei Sheng TEOH)
  Re: Leafnode won't fetch articles/headers (dash)
  Network Administration for a standalone system ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setting up realtek 8029 (Rod Roark)
  Re: L I N U X  +  8 0 8 8 (Tom Fawcett)
  Re: RedHat 5.2 inews rpm source? (dash)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows (Juergen Heinzl)
  host.allow and host.deny ("KillaBee")
  Re: L I N U X  +  8 0 8 8 (Michael McConnell)
  Re: Ftp by mail question (Michael McConnell)
  Re: binary Emacs 20.x for i386? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: L I N U X  +  8 0 8 8 ("Denton")
  Re: Encyclopedia Brittanica (Allen Ashley)
  Re: Read text fileson DOS partition? (Bob Martin)
  Re: MAKE command (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix (Ken Pizzini)
  Re: Network Administration for a standalone system (Bob Martin)
  Re: Statically-linked BASH binary (John Hasler)
  Re: Linux vs. Windows (Tim Hanson)
  Kernel Panic! (heLP! please URGENT!) (eric malloy)
  rhl 5.[01] rdate busted? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linux to windows (bklimas)

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Launching Red Hat Control Panel
Date: 13 Mar 1999 17:57:19 -0800

 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I would like to launch the Red Hat Control Panel
> that normally comes up by default when you startx.
> I've installed Window Maker which removes it from
> the default start-up apps. I want to use the Control
> Panel to configure and run PPP. How can I launch it?
> Is there another easier way to setup and run PPP?

PPP: You can run and setup it with "linuxconf" if you've got
that. And you can run it with /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}
or whatever your version names the scripts.

Control Panel: Run "control-panel&". Big suprise, huh?

Read the W.M. docs to learn how to put the stuff on menus
or buttons.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Subject: Re: VERY easy CHMOD question
Date: 14 Mar 1999 02:14:39 GMT

In <UOvG2.33625$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Katherine Davis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>What do I have to do to let this script be run from the command line without
>putting the shell in front of it?

Make sure that the first line in the script is
#!/bin/bash

Make sure that the programs you call (eg pppd ) ae either by full  path
(/usr/sbin/pppd) or are in your path.

------------------------------

From: "Katherine Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:22:26 -0600

My bad, it was a typo.  The com port is set up corectly.  The modem is on
COM2.
-Kat Davis

------------------------------

From: "Katherine Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:21:10 -0600

Ok, I figured it out.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

It turns out that the file was originally a DOS file that I had pulled off
of the floppy before I modified it, and had the extra CRs in it.  I noticed
this when I wrote the ppp-on file out once, and it said it was in DOS
format.

It still isn't dialing or anything, but I'll work on that now.  One problem
at a time...

Thanks again,
-Kat Davis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Master LILO throws a tantrum
Date: 14 Mar 1999 01:39:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Benjamin HERZOG  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello ,
>I am runing Linux Red Hat 5.1, Kernel 2.0.34.
>I have got two IDE: hda where MSDOS is, and hdb where LINUX is.
>hda is the first disk (the master) and to run linux, i have got a floppy
>disk wich runs LILO and boots linux on hdb.
>I want now, that hdb becomes the master, and i want LILO to be runed
>from hdb at the boot.
   <snip>

Don't you have to rejumper the disks to change them between master
and slave?  Or have IDE drives become more sophisticated over the years?

--
Praeterea censeo Micromolle non esse utendum.
("Moreover, I maintain that Microsoft should not be used."  With apologies

------------------------------

From: "Nexus 6" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:26:55 -0800

Would the hacker world accept Windows better if all of the below came to
pass:
1. open source
2. 50-75% drop in price
3. doesnt crash all the time

n6

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hwei Sheng TEOH)
Subject: Re: Statically-linked BASH binary
Date: 14 Mar 99 02:13:18 GMT

On 13 Mar 1999, Frank Sweetser wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hwei Sheng TEOH) writes:
>
> > <please CC replies to my email>
> >
> > Hi, does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of a statically-linked binary
> > image of BASH? An accident happened in the middle of upgrading my system, and
> > now bash crashes with a SEGV. Fortunately I use tcsh for normal logins, so my
> > system is still somewhat usable, but I need BASH to run the packaging system
> > to clean things up.
> >
> > I'm using kernel 2.2.1 running Debian. If possible I need bash 2.01.1 or some
> > version close to that, compiled with glibc2 (or 2.1 but that's not likely to
> > work). And of course, it must a an ELF binary...
>
> since you're running debian, you should be able to use the debian package
> manager system.  have you tried manually re-installing the bash pacakge,
> and any it depends on (libc at the least)?
[snip]

The problem is that dpkg uses bash to execute the installation/configure
scripts for the packages, and since bash is broken, dpkg simply aborts and
reports that the subprocess received SEGV.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (dash)
Subject: Re: Leafnode won't fetch articles/headers
Date: 13 Mar 1999 18:11:46 -0800

Leafnode fetch won't authenticate when it is being run to get new articles.
It authenticates when it downloads the large active file from the server,
but not when it asks the server for the stats on each interesting group.

I fixed it on my machine by modifying the source. My hard drive crashed and
I have to fix it again now, but I did email the author with a note on the
problem...

Lets see, there is a routine nntpreply which will authenticate if necessary,
but in fetch.c in the critical section it uses a different function with
returns a pointer to the server's reply, but doesn't call nntpreply.

I'm new to leafnode and this thread and am wondering if this is the trouble
other people were/are having with leafnode. It seems lots of news programs
are not used to dealing with authentication. THat's the
AUTHINFO USER <user>
AUTHINFO PASS <password>

--
No spam wanted. Any emails sent will quietly go to /dev/null.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Network Administration for a standalone system
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 02:51:34 GMT

Hello- I am attempting to setup networking for a standalone system using a
modem dialing into an ISP.  What sections of the Network Administrator's
Guide do I need to focus on?  Also is there some other reference that I can
study that covers this in a little more detail?  The Administrator's Guide
touches on subjects but it doesn't seem to really cover the topics in detail.
 Any other suggestions? Thanks [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up realtek 8029
Date: 14 Mar 1999 02:54:30 GMT

fspark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hey there, this is probably an easy one but I cant seem to get a RealTek
>8029 ethernet card to work in linux, i'm running slackware 3.6
>btw...help help..heh..one final note, the txt file on the cards it
>mentions compatibility with the NE2000 but during auto probe on boot it
>doesnt seem to find it..any ideas would be welcome..thanx

I've never had a problem with this.  Make sure you're using "net.i"
or some other kernel with suitable ethernet support.  If it's an ISA
card you may have to specify the I/O address and IRQ.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

From: Tom Fawcett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: L I N U X  +  8 0 8 8
Date: 13 Mar 1999 21:39:08 -0500

>Is it possibel to run Linux on a 8088 or 8086????
>I have already heard of the Elks project

No.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (dash)
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 inews rpm source?
Date: 13 Mar 1999 18:13:01 -0800

In article <7cadts$6ts$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is it just me or is there no SRPM for the RH5.2 i386 package inews? If
>Red Hat doesn't make the source available aren't they violating GPM?
>
>-Dave
>--
>Email address munged to prevent spamming.

Make that GPL.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:04:01 GMT

In article <7cf71b$op6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nexus 6 wrote:
>Would the hacker world accept Windows better if all of the below came to
>pass:
>1. open source
>2. 50-75% drop in price
>3. doesnt crash all the time

No ... now please go somewhere else if you want to continue this completely
senseless discussion over and over again ... what is better, a truck or a
skateboard ... you can drive with both after all ...

------------------------------

From: "KillaBee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: host.allow and host.deny
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:12:55 -0600

Hello,
    does anyone know the proper way to get these to work with mountd?

I have tried  in the hosts.allow file
mountd : ipnumber

and in the deny file
mountd : all

Also tried in the hosts.allow only
mountd : ipnumber : allow
mountd : all : deny

Cant seem to find docs on how to get this working any help we greatly be
appreciated.  Im running slackware with kernal 2.0.30

Russ

------------------------------

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:51:07 +0000

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Mr. Tinkertrain wrote:

> > Man, this sort of sounds like self mutilation (painful).  Do you need to use
> > a 8088?
>
> hey, 8088's are fun!! i have one (it's sort of disassembled tho).  i'd
> jump for joy if i could install linux on mine, but i heard linux can't
> run on anything less than an 80286 or 80386 i think.

80386.

You might wanna check out MINIX...

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ftp by mail question
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:41:39 +0000

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Tommy Willoughby wrote:

> Marco Santos wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I've been reading a FAQ document abou Linux (I'm thinking about
> > installing it in my PC) and they mention a ftp-by-mail server. How
> > does this work? I'm trying to get the Hardware-Howto and I do not have
> > ftp acess.
> >
> > Marco
>
> If you have to ask this question, FTP install is not for you. Get Linux
> on a CD-ROM. You're going to want the CD when you botch things up so bad
> you have to re-install (which we have all done - because it's one of the
> best ways to learn) You can go to:
>
> http://www.cheapbytes.com
>
> and purchase many different distributions for $2. But that gets you the
> CD only, no books or anything else.

IIRC they charge quite a lot for international mail. If I'm reading your
email address correctly (Portugal) you may find Eridani a bit cheaper :)

For 1 CD to Portugal, we charge UKP 6.50, including postage.

For more info, check out the website at http://www.amush.cx/linux/

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.emacs
Subject: Re: binary Emacs 20.x for i386?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Mar 1999 22:28:51 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>   > turn to your redhat 5.2 cd-rom or favorite redhat mirror site and get
>   > the emacs rpm.
>
> Lots of people have reported problems with the Emacs rpms from I think
> older versions of Redhat.  Is Emacs in 5.2 okay?  Is XEmacs in 5.2
> okay?  Or should we continue to advise people to fetch fixed rpms from
> the Redhat site?

i've been using the emacs rpms from redhat since 4.1 came out.  i am
currently running emacs from the emacs-20.3-3 rpm.  i have never
experienced any trouble and i do use emacs *a lot* (text editor, gnus,
lisp driver, &c).  what problems have people had?

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Denton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:35:48 -1000

Mr. Tinkertrain wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> Man, this sort of sounds like self mutilation (painful).  Do you need to
use
>> a 8088?
>
>hey, 8088's are fun!! i have one (it's sort of disassembled tho).  i'd
>jump for joy if i could install linux on mine, but i heard linux can't
>run on anything less than an 80286 or 80386 i think.

Try minix.  Search dejanews for the answer.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Encyclopedia Brittanica
Date: 14 Mar 1999 03:12:01 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Has anyone managed to run the EB CD from Linux? I hear that it runs through
>a modified Netscape browser, which leads me to believe that it should be
>feasible to access the info on CD from within Linux.

The latest EB runs under Intenet Explorer, but the previous version
used Netscape. I couldn't ever figure out how to access the
files under linux. The date isn't a simple html file. Someone
told my wife they were able to read the EB under linux, but
we never found out the details.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:02:57 -0600
From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Read text fileson DOS partition?

Check the mtools utilities ( man mtools ). They can manipulate files on DOS
files systems without needing to mount the disk. try something like

$ mtype a:yourfile.txt | more

substitute your drive/path and filename. It will also allow you to just copy
file to your linux partion.

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAKE command
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:05:41 -0500

angel13 wrote:

> Hi
>         Sorry I am very new to Linux and I have a problem installing
> software. I am using RedHat 5.2 and when I try to install software it
> require the use of MAKE command. But when I try to execute MAKE it
> give a invaild command. What should I do or is there another command I
> can use? Please forgive me and refer me to the right newsgroup if I am
> in the wrong one.
>
> Thank

Are you sure that...

- you are typing the name in lower case?
- that make has been installed?
- that make is on your PATH?

I would be extremely suprised if RH didn't include make. If you really
don't have it on your system, check your RH CD for the make RPM. If
it's not there, go to to the Redhat site or the Free Software Foundation
site (http://www.gnu.org/) and pick up the make package.

--

Lew Pitcher        |  If everyone has an angle, why
JOAT-in-training   |  are most of them so obtuse?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Pizzini)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix
Date: 14 Mar 1999 03:51:38 GMT

On 12 Mar 1999 21:43:29 GMT, Nick Manka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If you want to be perverse enough to argue that that isn't
>> enough, then 128 bits ought to be: that gives over 1.076 *
>> 10**31 years, which exceeds several (though admittedly not all)
>> estimates of the overall ultimate lifetime of the universe.
>> The difference between that and 3.662 * 10**69 years (256
>> bits) is admittedly vast, but it is also meaningless.
>> Especially with 1-second resolution.
>
>256 bits for time_t was what someone calculated as the first
>power-of-two number large enough to hold any date, from the big bang to
>the heat death of the universe (this was before they came to closure
>about that, obviously)

It depends vastly on your model of the universe.  I've seen
estimates for the total lifetime of the universe which range
from 2**61 seconds to 10**(10**76) years.

> with nanosecond resolution,

*Nanosecond* resolution?  As long as we're getting ridiculous,
why not go down to a Planck time unit (about 5.39e-44 second)
resolution?

(The Planck time unit is sqrt(hbar G / c^5) where hbar is the
normalized Planck constant, G is the gravitational constant and c
is the speed of light (in vacuum).  Since these are all (believed
to be) fundimental constants of the universe, this time unit is
independent of the units one chooses to use in the measurement of
these values, though (of course) conversion to some other time unit
(such as seconds) will give a unit-specific value.)

> on the grounds that
>he couldn't think of a larger range without going too far beyond the
>bounds of usefulness, but expected to be proved wrong later (perhaps
>*much* later :> ).
>
>The number of bits he needed was somewhere around 180.
>
>Can't think far enough ahead ;->

Making plans a mere one quintillion (2**60) seconds into the
future with one-second resolution is already a purely absurd game,
as the sun will have become a white dwarf and our geocentric time
system will have long since become a quirky historical artifact.

But if we want to do our best to plan ahead, why not a 1.5e76 bit
time_t value?  This allows us to make Planck time unit resolution
plans from the dawn of the universe until all matter collapses
into black holes (assuming that the overall curvature of the
universe is open; if the universe closed then this is overkill).
Oh, I guess that might be problematic --- each time_t value
would require trans-galactic resources to represent, at least
with current technology (with multiple atoms per bit).  But if
we will just learn to represent a substantial number of bits per
atom then we might be able to make use of this solution. ;-)

I say that 64-bits is enough for a time_t value if we want
one-second resolution and 128 bits is plenty if we prefer to
have attosecond resolution.  At the extremes of this range
we have already overstepped into the land of absurdity,
and we are better off using a different representation for
times outside of this range (which better reflect the actual
level of certainty (or lack thereof)).  Between chaos theory
and Heisenburg uncertainty we certainly aren't going to be
making any useful predictions (or appointments) with 1-second
(much less 10**-18 second) precision 2**60 seconds into the
future (or past).

[followups trimmed somewhat; probably not enough though...]

                --Ken Pizzini

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:40:12 -0600
From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What you want to look at id the PPP-HOWTO. This describes the setup for
connecting to an ISP. Then check the NET3 howto for setting up telnet, ftp etc.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:33:38 GMT

Hwei Sheng TEOH writes:
> Hi, does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of a statically-linked binary
> image of BASH? An accident happened in the middle of upgrading my system, and
> now bash crashes with a SEGV. Fortunately I use tcsh for normal logins, so my
> system is still somewhat usable, but I need BASH to run the packaging system
> to clean things up.

On a Debian system sh is a link to bash.  Get a copy of the ash shell (I
could send you one). Link sh to ash instead of bash, fix your system, and
then change the link back.

The best place for Debian questions is the debian-user mailing list.  Go to
www.debian.org to subscribe.

Frank Sweetser writes:
> since you're running debian, you should be able to use the debian package
> manager system.

His problem is that Debian packages include shell scripts which dpkg runs
as part of the installation process.  It might be possible for him to
unpack the .deb with ar and install the binary by hand.

> have you tried manually re-installing the bash pacakge, and any it
> depends on (libc at the least)?

A good point.  Make sure that it is bash that is hosed, and not a library.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 20:31:33 -0800

Nexus 6 wrote:

> Would the hacker world accept Windows better if all of the below came to
> pass:
> 1. open source
> 2. 50-75% drop in price
> 3. doesnt crash all the time
>
> n6

When the "hacker world's" official spokesperson shows up, I'll be sure to
ask them!

------------------------------

From: eric malloy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Kernel Panic! (heLP! please URGENT!)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:51:10 GMT

I successfully installed Kernel 2.2.3  and well when i boot with it.. it

                  says this:

                  Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:04

                  Can anyone tell me how to fix this? please ..

                  Thank you,
                  eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: rhl 5.[01] rdate busted?
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:59:35 GMT

Is rdate broken on rhl 5.0 and 5.1? On a 4.x system, i get the time
correctly. On 5.1 or 5.2, I get this: (note that as root, rdate -s does
not work as well).

[edmond@elara /sbs/edmond]$ rdate berkeley.edu
rdate: Success
[edmond@elara /sbs/edmond]$

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux to windows
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:48:23 GMT

Robert Koechl wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to integrate a linux box into an existing windows NT
> network (not as a server but as a workstation). Linux will get its
> ip configuration from the NT server via dhcpcd (haven't tried it
> until now, but I hope it will work out). In order to make it possible
> for windows users to access files on the linux machine I want to install
> samba. However, I don't know if it is it possible to access the windows
> shares from the linux box? Can I use samba? I would be grateful
> if someone could give me some hints on how to do this.
>
> Many thanks
> Rob

See my homepage:

http://www.magma.ca/~bklimas/FAQ.htm#samba_setup

for basic information on installing samba on your
linux system.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Stan