Linux-Misc Digest #443, Volume #25               Mon, 14 Aug 00 10:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Server monitoring ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ctrl-alt-del ("Andy")
  Problem with loop devices and mounting a cdrom (Thomas Gangolf)
  Re: Hard Drive is Lieing. (Garry Knight)
  Freshly installed FTP service only supports anonymous users ("Jon Davis")
  Hidden files (Ron Nicholls)
  Kernel upgrade (Mark Hymers)
  Re: Kernel upgrade (Mark Hymers)
  Kernel 2.2.17-pre* (Mark Hymers)
  Re: Problem with loop devices and mounting a cdrom (Davide Bianchi)
  Web Authoring Tools (Matthew Daniel)
  Re: Freshly installed FTP service only supports anonymous users ("george")
  Re: Debian GNU/Linux upgrade to Debian GNU/Hurd??? (Christopher Browne)
  How to redirect serial port to eth0? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Web Authoring Tools (Andrew Purugganan)
  Ghostscript error (Eric Eekhof)
  Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux (Allen Ashley)
  Re: STTY and ERASE (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Kernel upgrade (Hal Burgiss)
  Red Hat Linux / Windows NT dual-boot (Alan Magrath)
  Re: loadlin and DOS (Stephen Hui)
  Re: starting xdm as backround process (Richard Lewis)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Server monitoring
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:16:43 GMT

Do you need a tool that monitors your servers constantly and
reports any problems to you by mail.

See more info at: systemguard.tripod.com

From: "Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ctrl-alt-del
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:11:09 +0200

I would like to execute a script pressing ctrl-alt-del which controlls if a
reboot or stop is allowed (it checks if there exists still a
network-connection). If not, the shutdown-command is executed. Therefore I
added it to /etc/inittab and it works. But there is still a little problem.
Let's suppose I press ctrl-alt-del  and there's still a connection with my
computer, so the shutdown-command is not executed. The next time I press
ctrl-alt-del there happens nothing more. These 3 buttons only work 1 time
!!!

Does anyone know how to fix that?

From: Thomas Gangolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with loop devices and mounting a cdrom
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:40:13 +0200

Hi,

I have a problem mounting (standart) cdroms. When I write
mount -tiso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom      (SuSE 6.2 Kernel 2.2.16)
Then linux write the unsual stuff like cd write protected mouted,
that' okay.

when I do a ls -la I get the following line:

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 cdrom

as you can see cdrom is a file which is 0 byte and you have no acces
to the cdrom.

We also use this server to serve cdrom's. There are serveral cdimages
(created with dd...) and these images are mounted with the loop
command like "mount -tiso9660 -o loop /....". But when I try to mount
more than 18 images it tells me "bad superblock on device /dev/loop19
or too many mounted file systems, wrong fs type, bad option".

The devices are created with mknod b loopX 7 X, the loop.c source has
the linx #define MAX_LOOP 80 and the kernel was rebuild. So everything
should be right.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garry Knight)
Subject: Re: Hard Drive is Lieing.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:44:06 +0100

says...
>i have deleted linux completly and re-installed windows, i dont have
>access to or to create a windows startup disk for some reason but anyway
>Windows says i now have a smaller hard drive than i actually have, linux
>is respsonsible for this, i even used partition magic on Mandrake 7.0. to
>clear it and it stills says i have a smaller disk space. why and how can i
>fix it?

Go to http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/ and download Ranish
Parition Manager. The readme file will show you how easy it is to use.

It will probably show a Linux ext2 partition which Windows can't see.
Use Ranish to change the partition's type to be the same as your
existing Windows partition (fat16 or fat32), then format it. If you then
delete it, your existing Windows partition will be resized to take up
both partitions.

If you have more than one Linux partition, delete all but one of them,
starting with the last and working back to the first.

This fix assumes that your Windows partition is first on the hard disk
and is followed by one or more Linux partitions, which is the usual
case.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Jon Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Freshly installed FTP service only supports anonymous users
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:01:40 GMT

I'm not very experienced with Linux, and I recently installed Linux 6.2 from
freesoftware.com on an old 300MHz computer.  My problem is I can't get
wu_ftp to authenticate me.  If I log in anonymously I can get in fine but if
I use my account or even root, it fails authentication.  I tried following
the steps at:
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/FTP-Setup-Tips/FTP-Setup-Tips.html
... but the problem remains.

Any ideas?  Anything else I need to mention?

Thanks,
Jon

------------------------------

From: Ron Nicholls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hidden files
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:03:56 -1000

Is it possible to get gEdit's "open" dialogue box to display hidden
files. This probably makes hiding files pointless, but working backwards
from the file to display it is awkward / annoying.

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Hymers)
Subject: Kernel upgrade
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:01:51 GMT

I am running kernel 2.2.16 and am having problems with the message
VM:do_try_to_free_pages failed for various programs.  This entirely
locks out my system.  I have been told that upgrading to the latest
2.2.17-pre* (i.e. test) version of the kernel will help but I can't
find it at kernel.org.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the latest
version either as a whole or as a patch file from 2.2.16.

Thanks

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Hymers)
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:03:11 GMT

Sorry - I told my newsreader to start a new thread but it put it as a
follow up instead.  I'll try again with a better subject line!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: Problem with loop devices and mounting a cdrom
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:06:48 GMT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:40:13 +0200, Thomas Gangolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem mounting (standart) cdroms. When I write
>mount -tiso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom      (SuSE 6.2 Kernel 2.2.16)
>Then linux write the unsual stuff like cd write protected mouted,
>that' okay.
>
>when I do a ls -la I get the following line:
>
>-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 cdrom

Jan 1 1970 ? Hummm... delete the file (rm -f) and make
a directory instead. Then issue the mount command, maybe is
better if you specify -o ro, this will remove the complaining
about the write protection.

Davide

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:17:57 +1000
From: Matthew Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Web Authoring Tools

Hi,

I want to put my digital photo's on a web page and was trying to find
out what tools are available, I use netscape at the moment.

I would like to convert all my jpegs to tumbnails that are placed on 1
page which link to1 page per jepg etc.

Is there any tools that automate this or individual tools that I can
write a script for

Thanks

Matt

------------------------------

From: "george" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:28:47 GMT

Look at /etc/ftpaccess and make sure in the class lines local or remore
(whichever is of concern to you) has an entry of "real"

-gc
news:EcRl5.103930$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Debian GNU/Linux upgrade to Debian GNU/Hurd???
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:37:48 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Kim Taewoo would say:
>is it possible?

... As there are a lot of packages available for Linux that are not
available for Hurd, this could be argued to be a "downgrade,"
particularly if you found that you had to remove packages in the
process of your install.

I don't think it would be meaningful to try to "upgrade" a system
in this manner as programs and libraries would need to be
substantially all replaced with Hurd-compiled versions.

One of the suggested ways of installing Hurd _is_ to start with
a Debian/Linux system, and then install Hurd on some "fresh"
partitions.  But that isn't sensibly called an "upgrade."
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/hurd.html>
"Without  insects,  our ecosystem  would  collapse  and  we would  all

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to redirect serial port to eth0?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:31:05 GMT

I have a data stream coming in a serial port.

I wish to redirect the data stream to eth0 (?) and to capture it with
TCP (?) in another machine on the intranet.

Does anyone understand my question?? :)
Any suggestions?

- The data stream is continously coming in the serial port.
- We can put there a minimal Linux box to capture the data,
  and redirect it somehow to eth0, TCP (?)
- We'll have another machine on the intranet, and will
  capture the data.

Any help appreciated.

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: Web Authoring Tools
Date: 14 Aug 2000 12:54:09 GMT

Matthew Daniel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[ I want to put my digital photo's on a web page and was trying to find
[ out what tools are available, I use netscape at the moment.

[ I would like to convert all my jpegs to tumbnails that are placed on 1
[ page which link to1 page per jepg etc.

[ Is there any tools that automate this or individual tools that I can
[ write a script for

In the Find field in freshmeat.net, enter 'gallery'. In fact, the first
one it turned up describes 'gallery' doing exactly what you want. THere
are other tools that turned up in the search. Knock yourself out.

And make freshmeat.net a regular stop ;-)
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Eekhof)
Subject: Ghostscript error
Date: 14 Aug 2000 13:03:02 GMT

I've made a document using LaTeX and want to export it to pdf-format.
No problem with that, but to make it even more beautiful, I want to have
an index and thumbnails in my pdf.

The index works fine, it's the thumbnails that give me a headache.
Everything works out fine until a thumbnail has to be made from a page which
includes an eps-file. At that moment I get the following error:

eric@eric:~$ dvipdft document
Error: /undefined in /R6
Operand stack:
   427979   38448
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   2   3   %oparray_pop
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   14   1   42   --nostringval--
%for_pos_int_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
0   --nostringval--   %array_continue   --nostringval--   false   1
%stopped_push   --nostringval--   %loop_continue   --nostringval--   2   10
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   2   10
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
%loop_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   5
12   %oparray_pop
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:773/809--   --dict:0/20--   --dict:47/200--   --dict:47/200--
--dict:120/127--   --dict:111/152--   --dict:10/10--   --dict:1/2--
--dict:13/20--   --dict:1/1--   --dict:1/1--   --dict:1/1--
Current allocation mode is local

After looking through dvipdft (which is a simple script) I found out that it
is ghostscript which is the problem. When using xdvi to view the dvi-file I
get the following error when viewing a page with a picture:

eric@eric:~$ xdvi document.dvi
gs: Execvp of /usr/bin failed
xdvi gs_io: Broken pipe
xdvi gs_io: Broken pipe
xdvi gs_io: Broken pipe
ghostscript died unexpectedly.

All I can say is that ghostscript is the problem. I really don't know where
to look for now. I tried reinstalling several related packages as well as
reinstalling ghostscript itself, but no luck there.

Anyone any idea?

TIA!
Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Ashley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux
Date: 14 Aug 2000 13:03:03 GMT

Are you trying to ftp over a LAN with IP masquerade? If so, you have to
use the passive mode:
ftp -p

------------------------------

Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Aug 2000 09:13:01 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I must apologize, I wrote in haste. It seems FreeBSD uses ^H by
> default. I must have tested the wrong terminal. I have rebooted my
> FreeBSD box and when connected, it did say erase = ^H. Well, I guess the
> verdict is in: every single os (other than linux) that I use uses ^H by
> default. Hmm, well, all that's left is to convince Linus :)
>
> Now I know which OS I need to "fix"

if you want to "fix" the console, just hack the keyboard definition
file.  it's somewhere like /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty
i created a us+.kmap from us.kmap which switches control and
caps-lock.  it shouldn't be too hard to hack the back-space key to
send ^H.

as for X, rxvt can be configured at compile time.  i have this in my
.xdefaults, but i try to use ^? everywhere (since emacs uses ^H as the
help function).

!! xenv
*VT100.Translations: #override \
        BackSpace:      string(0x7F)\n\
        Delete:         string("\033[3~")\n\
        Home:           string("\033[1~")\n\
        End:            string("\033[4~")
*ttyModes:              erase ^? kill ^U intr ^C susp ^Z

note the ttyModes.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:40:54 GMT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:01:51 GMT, Mark Hymers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am running kernel 2.2.16 and am having problems with the message
>VM:do_try_to_free_pages failed for various programs.  This entirely
>locks out my system.  I have been told that upgrading to the latest
>2.2.17-pre* (i.e. test) version of the kernel will help but I can't
>find it at kernel.org.  Can anyone tell me where I can get the latest
>version either as a whole or as a patch file from 2.2.16.

The pre kernels are patches against the prior stable kernel. So in this
case, you need the full, final 2.2.16 source. Then the pre patch is
under people/alan at all kernel.org sites. Sorry don't have full URL handy.
Just snoop around.

--
Hal B

From: Alan Magrath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat Linux / Windows NT dual-boot
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:43:24 GMT

I am running Red Hat Linux 6 on a server and need to reboot it so that
it is running Windows NT on another partition. What utility do I need
to run or file do I need to change in order to cause the system to
reboot using NT?

Thanks

Alan

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: loadlin and DOS
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:49:50 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Not really a linux question, but is there a way to use loadlin to boot a
> DOS partition?  Or is there similar program that will do it?  I have a
> second bootable DOS partition.  LILO will boot it just fine, but I'm
> looking for something that doesn't require a change to the MBR or the use
> of a floppy.

Loadlin runs from a DOS/Windows partition.

To use loadlin, you would first boot into DOS/Windows-DOS-mode, then run
loadlin to boot the Linux kernel stored on the DOS partition.

I used loadlin to boot Linux from my Win98 partition so I wouldn't have
to fiddle with fixing lilo in my MBR everytime I re-installed Win98
(which was A LOT).  I would just backup the loadlin folder into a Zip
disk or whatever, re-install Win98, then copy loadlin back in.  Saved a
bunch of work.

Besides (not that it would have mattered), this way I could also have my
Win98 anti-virus program check the boot sector and memory before I did
anything else (including boot Linux).

Hope this helps.
Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: Richard Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: starting xdm as backround process
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:04:30 +0100

You need to change the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file (at least thats what
you do in Redhat 6.1 anyway)

There should be a line at the bottom that reads something like:

        :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

If you just comment out this line by putting a # at the beginning of
it, you should be able to run XDM without invoking the GUI.

HTH

Rich.