Linux-Misc Digest #443, Volume #21               Wed, 18 Aug 99 02:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: hylafax (Chuck Frost)
  Re: Cracks for Linux? (Brett Rosselle)
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Chris)
  Re: Sound bug with 2.2.11 ?? (John and Michelle Dickey)
  Re: why netscape sucks? (M van Oosterhout)
  Re: Cracks for Linux? (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Help! AWE 32 doesn't works! (Brett Rosselle)
  Re: Mandrake 6.0: Trouble with NFS (and FTP) install (Brett Rosselle)
  Updating fdisk or cfdisk? ("Mazrim Taim")
  Re: ppp compression missing ("Cowles, Steve")
  Re: Can Linux and NT talk? (Brett Rosselle)
  Re: Cracks for Linux? (Bryan)
  Re: Any free SQL server available? ("WME")
  Re: Comparing HPFS to ext2fs... (Zephyr Q)
  Re: Linux BIGGEST Problem-Must Read (James Morrison)
  Re: why not C++? (Phil Howard)
  Re: Origin (Rod Pinna)
  Re: How to Acess Directory with a space in the Name? (Niann Shiang)
  Re: Can I switch from OS/2 to Linux and be happy? (Zephyr Q)
  Re: RH 6.0 and NUMLOCK?? (Sean Turner)
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Can I switch from OS/2 to Linux and be happy? (Mark Schlegel)
  Re: Apache User's Directory (Jack Cheng)
  Information on knfsd (David Richardson)
  Re: Cracks for Linux? (Jason Earl)
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Floyd Davidson)

From: Chuck Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hylafax
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:30:52 GMT

The ttyS(#) or cua(#) is not the problem: Remove the " /dev/ " preface. The
program (rightfully) assumes that it's is in /dev directory (where else
would it be?) <grin>. It took me a few minutes to figure out that one, too;
finally I broke down and re-read the man pages :-)

...<sigh>...Now if somebody could only tell me why I cant send faxes to the
hylafax server (via WHFC) when I'm outside of the LAN. (I'm looking to
install WHFC on a Windoze machine with a cable modem and submit the job
over the internet.... I poked the necessaray holes in our corperate routers
& firewalls; and I (believe that I) correctly set up the
/var/spool/fax/etc/hosts file. I am at a real loss on this one...

Here's the real kicker:  On my home Linux/SDSL box, I can do a " faxstat -h
(ip of the corperate faxserver) " and get a response. On my dad's
Win95/Cable modem box, WHFC simply freezes up. Perhaps the cable modem
system around here won't let me use the 4559 (default Hylafax port) port?

-Matt "Chuck Frost" Cuttler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Brett Rosselle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cracks for Linux?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:41:49 +0000

Maybe because you didn't read the Linux-Sound how-to's.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Unix
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:11:26 GMT

Is this the same Barrow, Alsaka that's the Northernmost city in
America?

------------------------------

From: John and Michelle Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound bug with 2.2.11 ??
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:01:08 -0600

Jonas Frantz wrote:

> I noticed that XMMS 0.9.1 doesn't play mp3:s correctly on my system with
> kernel 2.2.11. It plays about the first tenth of a second of the mp3
> then pauses for about half a second and then again plays a tenth second
> of the mp3 and so on, with kernel 2.2.10 with the same setup this "bug"
> doesn't occur. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ?
> My system is a K6-2 350 and AWE64 PnP, the sound drivers are not
> compiled as modules

I've got a similar problem--after upgrading to 2.2.11, both xmss and
X11amp play mp3s very sloooowwwww.  I have a pentium 100 and an ESS
sound card.  When I boot with kernel 2.2.9, the mp3 players work fine.

John Dickey

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:56:34 +1000
From: M van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why netscape sucks?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I don't know...
> Is netscape itself a problem?
> or Motif is a problem? or C++ sucks?
>
> thanks for any comment..

I have no idea. It works great here.

Netscape 3.04, Linux 2.2.9, Debian 2.1

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:16:13 GMT

Sean wrote:

> Hi I think free software is the best.  Especially Open Source Software.
> Linux is supposed to be fre isn't it.  So why do I have to pay 20$ to get
> sound?  I have the OSS/Linux demo.  That stops working after 20 minutes.

Yes, Linux is free. You are also free to contribute to it. For example,
by writing free soundcard drivers. Commercial entities are also free to
contribute to it and are also free to charge for it.

> Does anyone have a crack for this?  Or does anyone know of a crack page
> that has cracks for linux (like OSS/Linux maybe).  Astalaviata.box.sk
> doesn't have it and I don't know where to look.  If so e-mail me at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is not a warez group.
Other. This article was crossposted to comp.os.linux.development.apps,
comp.os.linux.misc, and comp.os.linux.networking. What does is have to
do with programming and networking?

Vilmos

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
http://members.home.net/vilmossoti/resume.html

------------------------------

From: Brett Rosselle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! AWE 32 doesn't works!
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:57:41 +0000

Vilmos Soti wrote:

> Daniel Berrettoni wrote:
> >
> > I'm installing Linux 6, but I can put the sound card Sound Blaster AWE
> > 32 to make any single sound, and in Windows works all very well. What
> > can I do?
> >
> > Irq 10
> > low DMA 3
> > High DMA 6
> > address: 280
> >
> > (This data extracted from Propierties from Windows 98).
>
> Hi,
>
> You need kernel support for your card. Right now I use 2.2.10, sound
> support compiled as module, and my /etc/conf.modules file (the relevant
> part) loooks like this:
>
> alias sound sb
> options -k sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
>
> I don't have midi support since all I want is to listen to CDs and to
> talk through the net with my friend 9 timezones away.
>
> Vilmos
>
> --
> Looking for a job in British Columbia.
> http://members.home.net/vilmossoti/resume.html

It may already be installed a module. Run sndconfig from the command
prompt. Also, I don't how Windows came up with those settings. I'm sure
they worked in WIndows, but they are a little odd. Sound is usually
IRQ5, and sometimes IRQ7. DMA is usually 1 & 5.

------------------------------

From: Brett Rosselle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 6.0: Trouble with NFS (and FTP) install
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:39:52 +0000

Chris wrote:

> I have 2 machines networked (one of which has an ADSL to the Net). One
> is a Win98 machine, and the other is an old Pentium I'm attempting to
> put Linux on. I wanted to do an NFS install, so I booted up the
> machine I want Linux on with bootnet.img, and take it from there. I's
> dead easy - kudos Mandrake! The only problem is, when I specify the IP
> and directory where Mandrake is, it doesn't work. I get a very general
> error back saying it couldn't mount that directory on that server.
I had trouble doing an FTP install when the FTP server was Win32 based.
The problem I had was that the FTP server would change filenames from
something like "foo.i386.rpm" to something like "foo_i386_rpm". This had
the effect of the install not recognizing the files. This was most
annoying, and i never did get it to work.

What I ended up doing was downloading some shareware NFS server for
Win32, and exporting the CDROM drive.

Brett

------------------------------

From: "Mazrim Taim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Updating fdisk or cfdisk?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:03:28 -0400

I have RH Linux 5.1 and I'd like to update just my fdisk and cfdisk
utilities. How do I do this? I've looked at Red Hat's RPM dirs (ftp) for 5.2
and 6.0 and can't seem to find any RPM packages for fdisk and cfdisk. Please
respond, thanks.

------------------------------

From: "Cowles, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: ppp compression missing
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:30:27 -0500

Add the following to your /etc/conf.modules file.

alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

Steve Cowles
SWCowles at gte dot net

news:7pbs8u$pm8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Brett Rosselle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux and NT talk?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:45:46 +0000

John McKown wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:37:09 +0530, Vasanth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >Can someone tell me if you can map files/drives of NT on linux and
> >visce-versa and if so how.
> >
> >Thanx
> >Vasanth
> >
> You can use Linux as an NT domain controller and share files on it by using
> the Samba package. As part of the samba package, there is a command called
> smbclient which should let your Linux system access the NT file/print
> server.
>
> I'm just starting to learn this myself and don't have it working yet.
>
> Try http://www.samba.org
>
> Samba comes on most of the major Linux distributions.
>
> John

Yes, you can using NFS shares. You can download Win32 demo software from
http://www.ftp.com.

Brett

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:36:09 GMT

$20 is nothing.  you're getting a whole o/s, a windowing system, etc,
etc, for free.  so what are you complaining about?

if you want the kind of features that OSS provides, you should pay for it.

else, use what exists for free or ..

.. WRITE YOUR OWN DAMNED SOFTWARE, DAMMIT!

[...damned windowz freaks piss me off.  grrr!]

In comp.os.linux.development.apps Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi I think free software is the best.  Especially Open Source Software.
: Linux is supposed to be fre isn't it.  So why do I have to pay 20$ to get
: sound?  I have the OSS/Linux demo.  That stops working after 20 minutes.
: Does anyone have a crack for this?  Or does anyone know of a crack page
: that has cracks for linux (like OSS/Linux maybe).  Astalaviata.box.sk
: doesn't have it and I don't know where to look.  If so e-mail me at
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

:                     http://www.searchlinux.com

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any free SQL server available?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:07:22 -0400

> People seem to like Postgres... but I know nothing about it.

I have personally tried Postgres and I like it. At the beginning I was
considering mysql, but changed my mind because at the time if I recall
correctly you had to pay about $2000 for commercial use.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zephyr Q)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Comparing HPFS to ext2fs...
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:27:34 GMT

It was Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:30:56 and "Darin McBride"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

--> Simple question - if the authors of ext2fs are writing "flaky" drivers, why
--> would the fewer, and more obscure, authors of the Linux HPFS drivers be
--> writing better drivers?
-->

        That wasn't the implication--I was just responding to what
I have seen on various newsgroups.  HPFS isn't perfect--but
I know it and can get it out of a pinch (BTW, I use Linux's
fdisk to "repair" HPFS drives that have lost their way...).

        Just asking a technical question--not trolling in any
way...;->

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~  Finding his place in   ~
~   Cosmos,               ~
~  Directed only by Him   ~
~   who created the       ~
~    Kosmos               ~
~               Zephyr Q  ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please remove "I HATE SPAM" to
 reply to e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Morrison)
Subject: Re: Linux BIGGEST Problem-Must Read
Date: 18 Aug 1999 04:20:53 GMT

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:55:43 GMT, Sudhakar Govindarajan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob Martin wrote:

>> > Here! Here!
I agree with the premise that windows is not what it seems to be.
However, I have had to reinstall Mandrake 6.0 a half dozen times on a
clean system to get it right.  When I installed 98 on a clean system
it was usable after three reboots and the more times I rebooted, the
better it got.  After a dozen reboots I was able to get the
misidentified hardware straightened out.  The problems I had with
mandrake are still a mystery to me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Howard)
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:15:42 GMT

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:28:38 -0400 Arinte ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
| Well, I can see some of your points.  But, if it was programmed it C++ then
| the programmer can have a choice of doing there code in c or c++ without
| having to do extra work.  Using C++ would have been more open.

C++ can call C functions more easily (although without benefit of features)
than C can call C++.  There would have to be C stubs to front end a C++ SPI.

I would have thought there would be a C++ analogy to the system calls that
has been written as a library somewhere.  If not, then maybe there should be.
If C++ programmers feel the need, surely they would develop it, no?

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

From: Rod Pinna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Origin
Date: 18 Aug 1999 12:55:36 +0800

Cevat Ustun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My reasons for using Origin were to do plots AND
> fits. The problem with things like gnuplot and
> xmgrace is that they can do (esp xmgrace) publication
> quality plots but the fitting menu isn't all that
> great. For instance xmgrace can do polynomial
> fits (to 10th order) but if you read the documentation
> it says that you're not advised to use their
> rudimentary nonlinear fits (ie linearizable
> powerlaws etc). And as for artibrary nonlinear fits
> -forget it.  To my knowledge there isn't a Unix
> program that comes near Origin's capabilites and
> ease of use. So in other words if all you want
> to do is plots I would recommend xmgrace, otherwise
> don't delete Origin yet!
>
> Cevat.

You might want to have a look at a program called Robot
(http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xte/SOF/robot.html).
It has quite a lot of fuction fitting capabilities
built into it, and is freely available.

I only use it to produce graphs for articles, but don't
use the curve fitting part, so I can't comment on how well
they work. It has been around for awhile now, so I suspect
they are at least OK.

Rod

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Niann Shiang)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to Acess Directory with a space in the Name?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:50:06 GMT

Thank all of you responded.  The problem was resolved after copying
the 'login' file back to /bin.  And surprisingly, the login error
message for ordinary user also disappear, which I still could not
figure out.  But who cares anyway as long as everything works fine.
Thanks.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zephyr Q)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Can I switch from OS/2 to Linux and be happy?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:27:29 GMT

It was Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:37:21 and "TomG"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

--> I don't understand.  You would like apps that are just like your favorite
--> OS/2 apps, a workplace shell that is just like OS/2's, and you would, I
--> presume, like to be just as comfortable and productive as you are on OS/2.
-->
--> This is going to sound sarcastic and I do not mean it to be but... I think
--> you know what OS you should be using...

        Heh, the thought has gone through my head several times.
And I was happy to continue to use OS/2 with just fixpak
upgrades--all the apps I ever used had OS/2 equivelents to
the point that I only used one Windows app, and that was for
a game...

        But, I'm yet another victim of despair from IBM's lack of
support.  When they cut off Warp 3, I knew Warp 4 isn't far
behind.  And even if Stardock or whoever gets permission to
make a Warp 5 client, the bare fact is I can't get decent
drivers for the hardware I acquire (I seldom purchase new
parts...I usually adopt/acquire/finangel parts for my
machines)--and despite the plethura of *current* programs
for OS/2--the numbers of *future* products is going down.
Opera has yet to produce an OS/2 browser, the Win32 project
was dropped (and picked up...but will be dropped again I'm
sure), and with the exception of talented students (ProNews)
and 2 or 3 companies--I just don't see much of a future.

        Couple that with the fact that, in 4 years, I have
**never** been able to meet an OS/2 user face to face (I
can't afford Warpstock)--I guess I'm just tired of being
different for the sake of being different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~  Finding his place in   ~
~   Cosmos,               ~
~  Directed only by Him   ~
~   who created the       ~
~    Kosmos               ~
~               Zephyr Q  ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please remove "I HATE SPAM" to
 reply to e-mail address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Turner)
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 and NUMLOCK??
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 05:21:28 GMT

In article <yZlu3.661$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Sean Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > To enable NumLock on by default, add these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>
> >      for tty in /dev/tty[1-9]*; do
> >        setleds -D +num < $tty
> >      done
>
> this probably applies only to the console - not X.

I think you're right that it doen't apply.  I think the led flashes for a
second.

> > I added it to the end before the output to dmesg, but when I reboot - it
> > doesn't work :(  Has anybody gotten the numlock to stay on wehn they
> > boot into KDE or GNOME?
>
> why do you want to force numlock on?

No pressing reason.  I never use the numbers along the top of the
keyboard and it's just annoying that I type numbers for a few few seconds
and the cursor jumps all around.

Got any ideas?  I guess that I'll have to modify some KDE file someplace
to get this to work, but I don't know where ;(

Thanks,

st

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:58:27 GMT

Chris wrote:

> Is this the same Barrow, Alsaka that's the Northernmost city in
> America?

No. Barrow (which is the northermost city in the US) is not the one in
America. That would go to Alert, Canada, (if we can call these
cities...) which is way north of the (magnetic) north pole.

Vilmos

From: Mark Schlegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:23:33 -0400

Did you try any fixpacks at all in os/2?  I find the only thing that
locked me up was netscape, and they've seemed to improve netscape
a bit just recently in os/2  (NS 4.61 beta 2) hopefully
the GA will be better still.  Mostly Linux is
more stable because it's doesn't have the complexities of the
WPS and the related maintenance of the object information.  It
also gets fixes merged to it faster because of the open way
it's developed.
Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Cheng)
Subject: Re: Apache User's Directory
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:05:13 +0900

>It's probably not actually a permissions problem, at a guess. Apache
>doesn't follow symlinks by default. If you want it to, you need to have
>"FollowSymLinks" in an appropriate Options line in access.conf.

I'd change the UserDir from "public_html" to "/data/home/*/public_html" in
the srm.conf file, It works fine now, but I guess it would not be a good
idea to do like that. Can you point me how can I adjust the
"FollowSymLinks" in the access.conf?

Best Regard
Jack Cheng

------------------------------

From: David Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Information on knfsd
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:22:54 -0700

Does anyone know of a good resource for information on knfsd?

David R.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Earl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:19:37 -0600

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:31:15 GMT, Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi I think free software is the best.  Especially Open Source Software.
>Linux is supposed to be fre isn't it.  So why do I have to pay 20$ to get
>sound?  I have the OSS/Linux demo.  That stops working after 20 minutes.
>Does anyone have a crack for this?  Or does anyone know of a crack page
>that has cracks for linux (like OSS/Linux maybe).  Astalaviata.box.sk
>doesn't have it and I don't know where to look.  If so e-mail me at
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I got it to work by typing in (as root):

cd /
rm -rf *

After that I didn't have any problems with OSS/Linux asking me to register it.
I think that it removes the nagware config file or something.

Good Luck,
Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 18 Aug 1999 04:25:26 GMT

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is this the same Barrow, Alsaka that's the Northernmost city in
>America?

Well, lets just say that my neighbors are Inupiat Eskimos, polar
bears walk through my back yard, I love to eat maktak (whale
skin and blubber), the sun went down a couple weeks ago for the
first time since May, and the wind blew out of the north last
night and brought a few ice floes near the Arctic Ocean shore
for the first time since the middle of July.  And every where
I ever go is south from here!

Oh, did I mention that living in this place is just one never
ending adventure?  (71.16.16 N 156.46.12 W)

  Quyanaq ("thank you" in Inupiaq),
  Floyd