Linux-Misc Digest #731, Volume #19                Sun, 4 Apr 99 00:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software! (Steve Benting)
  Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network? (yan seiner)
  Re: wvdial problem ("Anthony")
  Re: Linux 2.2 is very unstable (John Thompson)
  Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network? ("John
Hardin")
  pppd reports "serial device is looped back" (shu ling)
  Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network? (Leslie
Mikesell)
  Re: Proposal: "Linux 2000 Platform" (Kendall Bennett)
  Please help me Video card ATI Rage LT PRO AGP (Srinivas Madiraju)
  Re: RPM Catch-22s? (Ewan Dunbar)
  Re: wvdial problem (Bill Unruh)
  Re: wvdial problem (Ewan Dunbar)
  Re: Please help me Video card ATI Rage LT PRO AGP (Ewan Dunbar)
  Re: Downloading Linux? ("No Spam")
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the  (Tom Betz)
  Re: wvdial problem (Walter Strong)
  Re: Please help me Video card ATI Rage LT PRO AGP (Benjamin Smith)
  Re: How do I monitor my modem (Benjamin Smith)

From: Steve Benting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software!
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:43:07 -0800

Er -- note the date on that article...

------------------------------

From: yan seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best Free X Windows Server for Win95/98 Box on Samba/Linux Network?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 01:47:39 +0000

The cool thing about VNC is that it runs in a web server if you want
it.  And it's proxyable.  Pretty cool when you can bring up a windows
app in a web server window.

I've run Autocad (no lite app) from a 486/100 win95 laptop, dialing into
a Linux box, geting forwarded to, and controlling, an NT workstation
over phone lines.  Poor but acceptable performance.

Yan

------------------------------

From: "Anthony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wvdial problem
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 11:11:46 +0800

April 4, 1999

Following your advice, I am able to run application
programs for Internet successfully in xterm.

I am still new in Linux.  Please advise the method
to invoke console.  I attempt to run console in bash
shell and in x-window, but all fail.

Regards,

Anthony Cheung

zentara ¼¶¼g©ó¤å³¹ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2 is very unstable
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:42:06 -0600

root wrote:

> Apparently for me Linux 2.2.x is not as stable as everyone says.

        [clip]

Kernel 2.2.1 has been rock-solid stable for me.  So much so,
in fact, that any newer releases are going to have to
include something I really, really, really need (as opposed
to just "want") to convince me to move on...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:21:57 -0800

dproc wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Eugene VonNiederhausern wrote:
>
>> Cyrus Mehta wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am creating a dual Windows/Linux environment using Samba for file
serving
>> > on a standard Ethernet network.  I was wondering what kind of X server
software
>> > for the Windows side I could use to run some X windows apps off of the
LInux Box.

>> > Reliability is the most important factor, windows will crash often
enough without
>> > the help of the X server.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > CKM
>>
>> Yesterday, I found the best X server/viewer for windows  (and linux)
that I have
>> seen yet and it is free (GNU Public License). It  is called VNC from
Olivetti and
>> Oracle research laboratory. You can connect from linux->windows,
windows->linux,
>> linux->linux, windows->windows. It is a lot better than any of the other
products
>> I have seen ot this kind. I don't  have the URL (it is at work) you can
email  me or
>> post a reply and I will get it and reply.
>
>  That sounds really interesting.  At the moment I use MIX, which is not
free (binary
>only and other restrictions) but it costs nothing.
>
>I downloaded it from MicroImages  <http://www.microimages.com>
>
>It doesn't crash my Windows 95* system.  It includes a Window Manager
(twm) and its own
>fonts which run as native on the Windows box taking some load off the
network.   This
>is important to me as I don't have a real network, just a serial cable
between two COM
>ports running PPP (pppd) and the X client applications on the Linux*
system, and
>Dial-Up Networking on Windows.  It is only 115200 bits per second!  That
is not enough
>for Netscape, but performance is excellent for large xterms and lynx.
>
>If for some reason the GPL X Server recommended by Eugene doesn't work,
why not try
>MIX?
>
>Yours, dproc

Erm.

Just to clarify, VNC is *not* an X server. It is a facility for remotely
viewing the system console of a different machine.

If you happen to be running an X server on the machine whose console you're
viewing it may *look* like you're running an X server...

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: shu ling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: pppd reports "serial device is looped back"
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:27:17 +0800

When I run "pppd /dev/ttyS1 38400", I read "serial device is looped
back" from my /var/log/messages.
Anybody has simliar experience and offer me some pointers? Thanks.

SL

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 3 Apr 1999 21:49:06 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Hardin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Erm.
>Just to clarify, VNC is *not* an X server. It is a facility for remotely
>viewing the system console of a different machine.

Indeed, it is different but that isn't quite the whole story either.
It is really a remote frame buffer, and what is in the frame may
be an X server from another machine.

>If you happen to be running an X server on the machine whose console you're
>viewing it may *look* like you're running an X server...

When the host is windows NT or 95 you are limited to viewing the
system console since there is no concept of multiple screens.  If
the host is running X, vnc actually creates a different desktop
visible only from the viewer - it does not use the same sesssion
as is on the console.  For some things this is nicer than the
traditional remote usage of X because you can create long-running
sessions that you can grab from various locations when you need
to interact or check progress.

  Les Mikesell

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kendall Bennett)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Proposal: "Linux 2000 Platform"
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 18:57:08 -0800

In article <7e349q$s5u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kendall Bennett) wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Since there will be differences between the different uses for Linux, we
> > should define multiple variations of the Linux 2000 platform. The
> > contents of what make up the variations Linux 2000 platform should be
> > debated and eventually voted on to come up with the final guidelines.
> > Some people may not agree with the final vote, but the important thing is
> > that compromises need to be made for this to be successful. We may also
> > want to define what are 'base components' that must be installed on every
> > system, and components that are optional and may or may not be installed
> > by the user.
>
> this was an april fools joke, right?

No, it was not. Stupid me had my head in the clouds and didn't realise it
was April 1st when I posted it.

> the scary thing is that this is actually occuring,
> the end result of windows programmers that do not understand unix.
> it cracks me up when people make their linux look and behave as much like
> windows as possible, then denounce the very thing they are emulating.

It is responses like this that really piss me off. What do you know about
me and my understanding of Unix? It just so happens that I have been a
Linux/FreeBSD user since way back in the 0.9x days, and have used Unix
system extensively in the past (did lot of graphics research on high end
SGI boxes). I do active development for DOS, Windows, OS/2, Linux, QNX
and BeOS. Hmm. Perhaps I might *know* a thing or two about Unix systems?

What is worse is that what I was proposing has absolutely *nothing* to do
with Windows!!!! Sure, I used the '2000' moniker because in the corporate
world marketing rules, whether you like it or not. Call it something else
if you please, I really don't care. The important thing that I was trying
to get across, something that everyone seems to have completely missed is
that Linux needs:

 . Cooperation
 . Standardisation
 . Uniformity

Those three points are vital for the continued growth of Linux. I am not
talking about this in the sense of 'continuing to challenge Windows'. I
am talking about this in the sense of the growth of Linux itself,
regardless of any other OS'es. I am talking about this in the sense of
making it easier for people to develop cool stuff for Linux as a
platform.

The standard response to my proposal seems to be something along the
lines of 'Hell, you can solve those problems; you are just too lazy!'.
Well a lazy programmer is a good programmer, and if there are ways that
things can be streamlined to cut down on the amount of effort someone
needs to expend to release a product that supports Linux, that is a good
thing right? Surely people realize that is developers spent less time
fucking around trying to make their products compatible with all the
different Linux distributions, they could spend more time concentrating
on developing better products.

It appears to me that many in the Linux community are either just to
vain, or too damn ignorant to realise this. So forget that I ever brought
up the subject...

|      SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software!         |
| Kendall Bennett          | To reply via email, remove nospam from    |
| Director of Engineering  | the reply to email address. Do NOT send   |
| SciTech Software, Inc.   | unsolicited commercial email!             |
| 505 Wall Street          | ftp  : ftp.scitechsoft.com                |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA     | www  : http://www.scitechsoft.com         |

From: Srinivas Madiraju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Please help me Video card ATI Rage LT PRO AGP
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 20:27:01 -0800

Hi,

I  completed installing LINUX  5.2 on my machine but I could not
configure Xserver properly.
I have a COMPAQ  Presario machine with following  config
Intel Pentium2
64 MB  RAM
Video card:
Rage LT PRO AGP 2x  of ATI Tech

I tried different servers including ATI_MACH64 , after running startx I
do see a window
comes up fine but inside that   , the windows are split  across the
screen.
I  cannot imagine wokring  without xwindow system . I highly
appreciate  your help
and suggestions to resolve this problem .

Thanks in Advance,
-Srini

------------------------------

From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM Catch-22s?
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:33:19 -0500

Jon McLin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My experience with rpm thus far is that it is close to worthless.  About
> 25% of rpms I download can be installed.  The remainder fail.  There are
> circular dependencies, and what appears to be inconsistent naming:
> packages will not install due to dependencies, despite the fact that the
> required library is in fact installed.

Which is why you RTFM and use the --force option.

Ewan Dunbar
Visit Preston Manning: Action Hero at
http://earl.thedunbars.com/pmah/index.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 4 Apr 1999 03:47:06 GMT

In <LKAN2.7296$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Anthony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>April 4, 1999

>Following your advice, I am able to run application
>programs for Internet successfully in xterm.

If you are running X (as youmust be to be running xterm), click with the
left mouse button on the background on the screen (ie not inside the
xterm, but on the green background). A list will come up. The first item
is "New Shell" click on that item and a new xterm will appear. put your
cursor on that new xterm, click in it, and run your other command. You
can do this as often as you like and cover your screen with xterms.

The "console"-- while in X type Alt F2 (ie hold down the alt key and
while holding it down type the F2 key). Youwill now have a full blank
screen on which you can run another command. alt-F1 will bring you back
to the X screen. each of alt-F2 to alt-F6 will bring up a seperate
screen.

From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:39:03 -0500

On 4 Apr 1999, Bill Unruh wrote:
> The "console"-- while in X type Alt F2 (ie hold down the alt key and
> while holding it down type the F2 key). Youwill now have a full blank
> screen on which you can run another command. alt-F1 will bring you back
> to the X screen. each of alt-F2 to alt-F6 will bring up a seperate
> screen.

BzzzT! wrong. You can't access the consoles from X unless you do a
*Ctrl*-alt-Fx.

From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me Video card ATI Rage LT PRO AGP
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:43:27 -0500

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Srinivas Madiraju wrote:

> I  completed installing LINUX  5.2 on my machine but I could not
> configure Xserver properly.

I apologise deeply for this, but I just can't resist telling you that
there is no such thing as Linux 5.2. The release of the *distribution* --
that is, the OS that *uses* the Linux *kernel* is 5.2. From the
cross-posts, I assume it's RedHat.

From: "No Spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Downloading Linux?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:33:34 GMT

I have been doing that with slackware for quite a while now. Download the
whole OS. The whole slakware directory.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/slakware

I usually put it in a subdirectory on a win9X partition. Then of course I
have to have the A series handy on diskettes.

After that I install the system once with just the A series.

Then I reboot.

Now the system should be able to access your your fat partiton (provided you
installed "vfat" I think.) (This happens when you say you want your fat
partiton to be visible from linux).

You mount the linux directory.
You then run "setup" again.
You specify the source as the mounted partition.
You specify the destination, but don't format your linux partition again.
Don't install the A partition again. (It will warn you of this, if u ignore
the warning and go on with installing the A series again, you will get
errors and might have to redo the whole process from scratch).
You should be done now.

As for burning the CD. Just put your slakware (without "c") in the root
directory. I might be inaccurate, but I remember reading this somewhere that
you can't change the name. Of course whenever you have to put this directory
somewhere else, u can probably use the mount trick.

May be the above instructions won't make sense to some people, but believe
it or not, it works for me.

Enjoy.
If you need further assistance:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And as people usually say remove the "NOSPAM" from my email

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Betz)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Date: 3 Apr 1999 23:45:49 -0500

Quoth Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
|Matthias Warkus wrote:
|>
|> It was the 2 Apr 1999 15:24:18 -0500...
|> ..and Tom Betz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|> > Quoth "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
|> >
|> > Sad, but true.
|> >
|> > Little things annoy.  For example, there is no common buffer for
|> > cutting and pasting between apps.
|>
|> Sure there is.
|>
|> > You can't do something as simple
|> > as paste text copied from an xterm session into, say, Netscape.
|>
|> Netscape is a screwed-up app, that's why it works with almost
|> everything but Netscape.
|>

|Try holding the shift key while highlighting the text and hold shift when pasting. I
|can paste just about
|anywhere with this method.

Thanks for being the only respondent to actually offer a possible
solution, instead of telling me that something works that I know
from short personal experience doesn't work.

I'll try it next time I'm on my experimental box.

--
|We have tried ignorance       |            Tom Betz, Generalist               |
|for a very long time, and     | Want to send me email? FIRST, READ THIS PAGE: |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Date: 4 Apr 1999 04:41:46 GMT

:writes:

[...]

:
isn't it ctrl-alt-F* to get to a non-x console from X?  Also should add
that alt-F7 will get you back to X;)

From: Benjamin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:46:50 GMT

Apologies if you see this twice. My newsreader screwed up.

You need to upgrade the X distribution that comes with RH 5.2 to XFree86
3.3.3. The 3.3.2 set that comes with RH 5.2 won't work with this card. I
have one working fine with 3.3.3 and the Mach64 server.

Good luck!

From: Benjamin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I monitor my modem
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:57:24 GMT